DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NOT using night mode.

davedrone 178

Reactions
Finding that when filming a bright city at night, I get better results shooting in Auto and not in "night mode". From what I understand The Air 3 boosts the ISO to 12800 when needed and adds some software magic to reduce noise. But the camera doesn't need 12800 with bright buildings around. I have "subtitles" turned on to read the info where the camera calls for somewhat less than it's Auto max
of 6400. The noise reduction introduces artifacts that just don't look good. Seems like "night mode" might be used in very very low light situations.

Finding that when filming a bright city at night, I get better results shooting in Auto and not in "night mode". From what I understand The Air 3 boosts the ISO to 12800 when needed and adds some software magic to reduce noise. But the camera doesn't need 12800 with bright buildings around. I have "subtitles" turned on to read the info where the camera calls for somewhat less than it's Auto max
of 6400. The noise reduction introduces artifacts that just don't look good. Seems like "night mode" might be used in very very low light situations.
Yes, it's more of a marketing gimmick than a useful feature. If it is so dark that you really need ISO 12800, it might be useful for surveillance, but not so much for photography or cinematography.

Yes, it's more of a marketing gimmick than a useful feature. If it is so dark that you really need ISO 12800, it might be useful for surveillance, but not so much for photography or cinematography.

I think that depends entirely on the purpose of the image.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
That makes sense. It's a good option to have. That large 1.7f aperture is the key to it's superlative night time images though.
No doubt about it. And it's also the reason that you almost need ND filters during the day. It's like leaving the Ophthalmologist's office on a sunny day with your eyes dilated. 👀

Reactions: Torque
No doubt about it. And it's also the reason that you almost need ND filters during the day. It's like leaving the Ophthalmologist's office on a sunny day with your eyes dilated. 👀
At least the dilated eyes hide all the darn floaters that come with aging vision! LOL!

At least the dilated eyes hide all the darn floaters that come with aging vision! LOL!
Don't remind me... Tripped on the corner of an area rug a few months ago and lightly bonked my forehead just above my eyebrow.

That was enough to cause a vitreous detachment in my left eye, the good one that hadn't had this occur. So now I've got little wads of thread and other specs and distortions floating around in my left eye vision too.

Don't worry, saw the Opthamologist and had a very thorough exam. The result was, nothing bad, just tough, dude.

Don't remind me... Tripped on the corner of an area rug a few months ago and lightly bonked my forehead just above my eyebrow.

That was enough to cause a vitreous detachment in my left eye, the good one that hadn't had this occur. So now I've got little wads of thread and other specs and distortions floating around in my left eye vision too.

Don't worry, saw the Opthamologist and had a very thorough exam. The result was, nothing bad, just tough, dude.
Same here, without any external cause, except this big one was in my dominant eye. Initially came with very disturbing streaks of light at the periphery of my vision, as it tugged on the optic nerve, before it completely broke loose. Opthomology exam confirmed no retinal tear, but I still have to live with the new floater from now on! Dilated pupils do tend hide them, like sensor dust, though! Any treatment to try and remove them substantially increases risks of cataracts that are far worse! Brain is supposed to eventually ignore them, because the image processing adapts to the now defective image. Hasn't happened yet. Feels like a dark cloud over my right shoulder, following me everywhere. Sometimes, it even translates into the appearance of a moving shadow. Very disconcerting at times. Getting old sucks!

Brain is supposed to eventually ignore them, because the image processing adapts to the now defective image. Hasn't happened yet. Feels like a dark cloud over my right shoulder, following me everywhere. Sometimes, it even translates into the appearance of a moving shadow. Very disconcerting at times.

Well, sort of. Only when you stare without moving your eye. And don't mentally focus on the floater, but instead "look at" what you're trying to see.

Otherwise, it'll show from time to time, especially when looking at bright uniform scenes – like the sky. 🤬🤬

Well, sort of. Only when you stare without moving your eye. And don't mentally focus on the floater, but instead "look at" what you're trying to see.

Otherwise, it'll show from time to time, especially when looking at bright uniform scenes – like the sky. 🤬🤬
Indeed! My opthomologist told me about a similar patient with a really bad floater who is an avid golfer. The floater fills his field of vision every time he bends over to putt! His golf game is now suffering from the distraction, ruining his former putting prowess! He also told me that a floater can just as easily be created when just sitting completely passively on the couch. The detachments don't necessarily require any impact, but sudden impacts certainly don't help, either! Like Dexter, we now each have our own "dark passenger!" LOL!

Yes... when you look in the sky to follow your drone at the limits of your VLOS, there will be several to choose from 🤣

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne