DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Number of mini crashed

First of all, this is Mavic Mini Discussions. Discussion.
2nd, in this thread I respond with 6 posts, in 5 of those 6 I specifically noted that this thread isnt just about my case.
I am just curius how is it possible, that so many minis have crashed with same symptoms. thats all. If I am wrong ok. thats why I have you to tell me that :)

We're on the Internet folks. People do not log into the Mavic Mini Help or Help me with my Crash forums unless they have a problem.

There is not a forum entitled "Help me figure out what happened during my perfect flight." Folks do not post that way.

People log in and post to complain or make note about issues they are having. Considering how many thousands and thousands of Minis have been sold, we have to ask what is the percentage of folks having an issue. Right now, we do not know.

I'm in no way suggesting it's a perfect drone. I'm too new at this to post an expert opinion. But I do know about posting habits concerning products. If you have an issue, you post and complain. If everything is hunky-dory, you don't post.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of posts about people mentioning the Mini "falling out of the sky without any reason." I'll be honest, I'm not seeing that. I'm certain there have been some issues, but IMO it's being overblown. Read the threads, look at the data and read the comments from the people who really know how to read the logs. Then note how many folks complained and never posted logs at all.

This is a forum, what did you expect, here is a debate about different reasons, and if you can help other people better, but you like to debate go watch TV better, or fly your drone as an expert you are.

I think he is saying that he was only warned once in the app despite the log showing numerous warnings.

I treat my mini like the delicate little bird she is, only fly on calm days, under 250ft and close by... if I get a warning I bring her home immediately....

Def want a larger drone so I can do more adventurous stuff, but the mini is not that bird and I acknowledge that

Well, if you spend 500 dollars to fly a drone at a maximum of 250 feet, you're throwing money in the trash. dji is responsible for this, and more people who prefer to defend a multimillion dollar company, before telling the truth, mavic mini has many factory defects

Reactions: WooZie
I'm not defending DJI. [That was not directed to me.] The OP was very specific about stating - paraphrasing - all of these incidents where Minis are just flying away or crashing for no reason at all.

My point was simple. You're seeing a small sub-set of people posting about their experiences. Most people do not post if they have no issues. You hear from folks that have problems. And that's totally fine. There are great folks here taking the time to read detailed log files and provide their opinion on the data. We all learn from them.

A couple - maybe fewer than five? - of those cases seem to be related to the Mini not being able to reach a tilt angle that is specified in the technical specs of the drone. A lot more seem related to flying in conditions where the Mini could not make forward progress into wind that was more than the 8 m/s limit. Some even seem to be controlled flight into terrain. Some relied on RTH in excessive winds where the drone may have been able to make it back in Sport mode and controlled manually. Some may be related to ice build up on the prop in conditions where the air is fully saturated and the dew point and temperature are near freezing at the surface, and most likely colder at altitude. Some might be related to the downward sensor getting confused over water.

These are all different issues.

If I told you there were 100 drones that fell out of the sky for no reason during the past 30 days, what would you think? My first question would be "how many drones were flying during the past 30 days?

If one billion were flying during that period, my reaction would be different than if there were 10,000 flying. We just don't know that part of the equation. I doubt DJI would provide that information either.

The OP stated "I am just curius how is it possible, that so many minis have crashed with same symptoms."

That answer can not be answered here for the reasons I specified.

i personally had a crash from 65 meters high, the drone was totally damaged, i received a new one and with this i have never seen any error about not enough force/esc, i think they changed the esc module, because even if you upgraded the firmware, you still have these messages/errors, even if the drone flies well, but in my opinion they have changed the ESC module, on the new drones
Would you know if there's a way to confirm this, that the esc has been upgraded/replaced on newer batches?

I'm not defending DJI. [That was not directed to me.] The OP was very specific about stating - paraphrasing - all of these incidents where Minis are just flying away or crashing for no reason at all.

My point was simple. You're seeing a small sub-set of people posting about their experiences. Most people do not post if they have no issues. You hear from folks that have problems. And that's totally fine. There are great folks here taking the time to read detailed log files and provide their opinion on the data. We all learn from them.

A couple - maybe fewer than five? - of those cases seem to be related to the Mini not being able to reach a tilt angle that is specified in the technical specs of the drone. A lot more seem related to flying in conditions where the Mini could not make forward progress into wind that was more than the 8 m/s limit. Some even seem to be controlled flight into terrain. Some relied on RTH in excessive winds where the drone may have been able to make it back in Sport mode and controlled manually. Some may be related to ice build up on the prop in conditions where the air is fully saturated and the dew point and temperature are near freezing at the surface, and most likely colder at altitude. Some might be related to the downward sensor getting confused over water.

These are all different issues.

If I told you there were 100 drones that fell out of the sky for no reason during the past 30 days, what would you think? My first question would be "how many drones were flying during the past 30 days?

If one billion were flying during that period, my reaction would be different than if there were 10,000 flying. We just don't know that part of the equation. I doubt DJI would provide that information either.

The OP stated "I am just curius how is it possible, that so many minis have crashed with same symptoms."

That answer can not be answered here for the reasons I specified.
Sry dont get you. What you are saying is that I spent 500$ and thats it. I can be happy with that. If there is electrical problem on new Ford, they will recall back 10000000 new Fords. And try to resolve the problem. What you are saying is that if there is 100 cars with problem on 1000000..so what?? its just 100 cars. Thats not how world goes. And it never should.
"Hello, my mm felt into water.
-O yes, we do have problems with downward sensors.
-Ok then. Sorry for bothering you. Have a nice day."

And all the problems you counted, it is amazing that all of them result in the same way. Motors exhausted, dron descending,trying to maneuver drone-but no help.

I had the same problem, several monthas ago, but indoor. I was convinced that all is my problem for flying mm indoor. Making weird wind blows from proppelrs bouncing from floor and side walls. But than again, isnt it mm made for driving indoor? Oh yes it is. So, they tested mm indoor and all those blow streams of air where in reasonable parameters. So maybe isnt my fault?

• Haha
Reactions: Peio64270
I think he is saying that he was only warned once in the app despite the log showing numerous warnings.

I treat my mini like the delicate little bird she is, only fly on calm days, under 250ft and close by... if I get a warning I bring her home immediately....

Def want a larger drone so I can do more adventurous stuff, but the mini is not that bird and I acknowledge that

That's exactly how I fly also! At most I take my Mini over the near by Stadium and hover no more than 60 m above the Stadium(+ 10 m because I take off from the 4th floor balcony) so say 70m actual height shooting some videos, That's about 130 m distance away from me, and still I get a bit anxious when its so far away! It really is a very delicate bird and I also do the same, if there is any wind that I myself think is too much for the lil drone then I just fly indoors or not fly at all!

The little Mavic Mini was designed to fly in winds of about 8 m/s (28.8km/h or 17.8955miles/h) at most, or maximum! I've set my UAV Forecast application's Wind Speed Alert to alert me if it is 30km/h and so I won't fly then. I always check the Wind Speed at quite a height above the actual height that I'm planning to fly - just to be sure that I will be able to fight the wind eventually on the way back to me if I have to and more importantly to be sure that my Mini will not get blown away! Usually I check at about 250 m height, if there is not much wind there then I go fly, else indoors flights it will have to be.

cool

Reactions: hashfly and WooZie
...What you are saying is that I spent 500$ and thats it.
That's not at all what I said.

If there is electrical problem on new Ford, they will recall back 10000000 new Fords.

That's not at all necessarily true. If the issue is wide-spread enough, they will certainly recall all of them. If the issue is with a small batch of 100 out of one million, they are not going to recall them all. They might post a technical service bulletin and let mechanic know about a rare issue and how to solve it, but they are not recalling all one million. If they know approximately which 100 have the issue, they might contact the owners and have them either watch for the problem or bring the car in for inspection. They can even do a very small focused recall. They will of course fix those that show the issue under warranty if appropriate.

What you're assuming is there is a wide-spread issue with the Mini and DJI is ignoring the issues. Now, this might be the case, but there is no way the posts from this forum prove your assumption. That's just not realistic.

And all the problems you counted, it is amazing that all of them result in the same way. Motors exhausted, dron descending,trying to maneuver drone-but no help.

That's not true at all. The first issue I listed (the Mini not reaching its specified tilt angle) might be a problem, but I looked again and can only find two references to that issue from who I would regard as the experts here. The other examples are all related to pilot error, not reading the manual, and flying the Mini in conditions exceeding the craft's limits.

I'm not going to reply to your experience about flying indoors since you mentioned multiple times in this thread that it is not about your issues. But I will chime in as to what I think a big contributing factor is.

The Mavic Mini is priced too low. [I say this just to make a point, I don't really think the price needs to be higher.]

Because of the reasonable price of the drone, a lot of new drone pilots - including myself - got into the hobby. Some of us - including myself - were interested enough to take a Part 107 class and take the commercial test. I learned a lot about how a drone flies and how weather and conditions can effect the performance of the drone. I also read the manual.

Now, we have all of those new drone pilots out there who charged up the batteries, charged up the controller, downloaded the app to their mobile device, plugged everything in, and immediately went outside and hit the "Take Off" button. Hell, I did the same thing.

This social/human nature factor greatly increased the probabilities things would go wrong for those new flyers.

My experience was different simply because I hit the "Take Off" button and nothing happened. (I was in a Blue Authorization Zone and the drone could not fly there at the time.) In hindsight, that may have saved my *** and saved my drone that day, because it gave me some time to read the manual, safety guidelines and disclaimer, and find this forum.

Digging into it, I figured out the issue and I had to wait for the "late December" firmware upgrade. Occasionally I did drive out to a spot where I could fly, but I was very conservative. The "holding pattern" I was in gave me enough time to take the Part 107 class and take the exam. I passed the exam four days prior to the .04 firmware release.

Good luck and I hope you all enjoy your drones and flying.

Last edited:
i just assume, i don't know exactly, but i have never seen any message since my drone was replaced, even in wind or sport mode, nothing

I got my Mini for Christmas, hence it's probably one of the older batches, as I it was on software version 1.0.2 when I got it and had to update it three times altogether. I honestly have never seen any Error Messages about Max Power Load reached or not enough Power or whatever they are. I've received other warnings, all normal ones, but never had any problems with my Mavic Mini, it never lost altitude even once, I fly it in Sports mode and quite often have both my TX sticks fully forward, going up and forward and never even one error.

So I'm not sure about all this, but I would think that it's a complex reason behind why some Minis are loosing altitude, falling! I think that it has something to do with the cold weather, I watched a YouTube video where this guy actually proves its the cold, he went to fly at like -10C' or so and then his Mini started losing altitude, funnily it was every now and then also rising in altitude! So the cold will make your drone not be able to maintain its altitude well. Another parameter which adds to all this is the battery, on some models the battery may be a bit inconsistent, like different voltage cells and or similar things. So this same battery used in the cold again, may not perform well. It may not be able to draw enough current at times and you may get the Battery Cells under voltage even if you have like 40% battery or so! At this time, when so cold, battery being used - when we want to go full power up and or forward the battery may not be able to supply enough current and you may get "Not Enough Force/ESC Error"!

My guess is its the combination of cold battery and a cold IMU with cold downward sensors(potentially fogging up or something) causing the drone these problems. I'm very happy that my Mavic Mini has not experienced any of these issues and is flying all normally. I'm still very extremely afraid when I fly it in/over places where I know if something goes wrong I'll lose my drone or it will be extremely difficult to get it back.

So far, without exaggerating , honestly my Mavic Mini has really performed flawlessly, not even one problem! Flying absolutely perfectly and as expected, very predictable flights! So currently my Mini holds a clean record, many flights already and 0 crashes - yet! But just the fact that this little drone has performed perfectly every single time I've expected this drone delivered, so I guess it's safe to say that I can rely on the lil machine to fly far and high out. Yet I still worry that it may start to loose altitude or something, since it is possible as we're not sure yet what causes it.

cool cool

I flew my Mini beyond its limits a couple of weeks ago. I planned the flight in advanced so if I had to land at any point, there would be a high probability I could get the drone back. If it crashed, I have the replacement plan.

I installed three high quality strobe lights. Flew straight into the wind for 4,600 feet out at altitudes of 300 feet and down to 200 feet on the way back.

It almost went all wrong when an unexpected snow squall hit. It was also really cold. Again, beyond the operational limits of the drone. For me, it all went fine. This was a dedicated learning experience for me. I wanted to determine what my VLOS really is with the strobes installed and I wanted to be comfortable with what I could do in the future. In this area, I expected no WiFi interference, but the snow squall was a surprise as it was not in the forecast earlier that day ... yes, the forecast changed!

In short, the drone preformed great.

Steve495- totally agree with your point above on the positioning of the new Mini for an entry level of drone enthusiasts. Well said...

My very last, previous post here, shows that I'm very very happy with my Mavic Mini! I've honestly never had any problems with it at all. In the beginning I had to wait for the 1.0.4 update as I live in a blue authorization zone and couldn't even take off prior to that. But after the 1.0.4 update I've been flying every single day and I've never had any problems at all, not even one time did I get a Not Enough Force/ESC Error and I fly it around quite a lot of the time with full forward and full going up!

About the face that most people post here when they have a problem, with me its not like that all! My Mavic Mini has honestly been really flawlessly perfect! The only reason I'm here in this Forum is to PREVENT any future problems that might occur, and to fix problems that others have found out about the Mini! Also to help someone with some of my experience if it helps them! I can honestly go on and on and on just saying/writing only good things about my Mavic Mini! There is not even one bad thing I can say about my drone, I love everything about it very much!

I'm not gonna complain until I have a reason to, I was complaining back before the GEO Zones update - but not here in this forum but rather directly in DJI's Forum so they could respond - and they did respond! We told them the problem and they spoke with us and fixed it! Was first time for me to have actual people helping/chatting with me directly from DJI help-desk support! So all in all, I'm actually very very happy and very pleased with my Mini, gonna fly it today and have an awesome time!

Also the reason behind why I think there would be NO SUCH THING AS NEW ESCs for the MINI - is because the Mini's ESCs are all on one Board actually, the Power Supply board which also has other components on it. Changing the Mini's ESCs would involve changing that whole 4-in-1 ESC board, not just a couple of chips or diodes or resistors or something I'm guessing that its just the new updates that have fixed this whole Not Enough Force/ESC Error. Some batteries were just not that good at supplying current and when used in the cold with the combination of harder flying we get this not enough force error.

I hope that DJI does at least come out with a position on the issue (if its' an issue at all) - even though my Mini has so far been a flawless flier so far!

Enjoy your Minis people, fly them and take good care of them!

Reactions: Akward59
I guess you need to take into consideration something.

1- The mini is a cheaper drone so it will be purchased much more than an M2P or M2A or any other drone.
probably for every Mavic 2 Pro will be 10,000 minis.

2- Since the Mini is a cheaper drone, will be purchased for inexperienced people or first drone buyer. Therefore we can expect many pilot mistakes.

3- since the Mini is a cheaper drone, people have less fear to lose money if they crashed or lost and they take more chances.
thats the reason i didnt buy the mini because it more prone to do all the bad stuff reported on here and went with the bigger one and never once in the year that i owned it have i crashed it or lost it , I think the bigger one is a better beginner drone , I have the phantom 3 advanced as well but like the mavic pro better

I bought the Tello first, which hooked me. Then the M2 Zoom which blew me away. Today I am getting a used Proto X FPV.

God help me, as God is my witness I didn't know I could fly....

Reactions: Bojan
I've already isolated and published proofs (elsewhere) of the problem. MM has a definitive problem with its hight after a sudden and fast drop, I tested w/ fast forward motion and drop to a halt in Sport and the incident is repeatable every time.

Not something that I particularly worry but it isn't fried air. Whether DJI can fix this problem I don't know, some say it's the barometer getting thrown off and needing time do adjust. FC is puzzled or has some weird logics at play.

It is just, that I have mm, and I am afraid of flying. I am scared to turn him on. After fall I had to test him, I turned him, he bounced in air, and I was like waiting with control sticks on rc to put them in "emergency turn off motors" because I was afraid of mm starting too act crazy.
And now you all talking "its cheap drone,,,only 500$", YES thats the problem, I only spent 500$ and I am afraid of flying with him. Why? beacuse its cold. because it will be chill 15th of May and I will be scared to go in air with mm...?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_