DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYC East River & Drone Intercept?

MNice

Reactions
Hi All,

In short, I unknowingly took my drone up along the East River in the NEW YORK CLASS B AIRSPACE HUDSON RIVER AND EAST RIVER EXCLUSION SFRA. The flight was maybe 2-3 minutes as I only wanted a quick 360 of the cloudburst passing over downtown.

However, while I was up there my drone began acting almost erratically. Instead of hovering or turning smoothly my Mavic was "tipping" left and right at the slightest touch. At first I thought it could've been a gust of wind but it continued to happen randomly every 15 seconds or so.

Knowing now that I was in the exclusion zone, I'm wondering if there are any drone intercept tactics deployed in the NYC airspace? None of my research has shown anything, but I'm wondering if there is a drone monitoring system with some sort of EMP disruptor? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Knowing now that I was in the exclusion zone, I'm wondering if there are any drone intercept tactics deployed in the NYC airspace? None of my research has shown anything, but I'm wondering if there is a drone monitoring system with some sort of EMP disruptor?
This is almost certainly not the case and if it was, you wouldn't have your drone now.
The actual explanation is likely to be much less exciting.

Hi All,

In short, I unknowingly took my drone up along the East River in the NEW YORK CLASS B AIRSPACE HUDSON RIVER AND EAST RIVER EXCLUSION SFRA. The flight was maybe 2-3 minutes as I only wanted a quick 360 of the cloudburst passing over downtown.

However, while I was up there my drone began acting almost erratically. Instead of hovering or turning smoothly my Mavic was "tipping" left and right at the slightest touch. At first I thought it could've been a gust of wind but it continued to happen randomly every 15 seconds or so.

Knowing now that I was in the exclusion zone, I'm wondering if there are any drone intercept tactics deployed in the NYC airspace? None of my research has shown anything, but I'm wondering if there is a drone monitoring system with some sort of EMP disruptor? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

The FAA's prescribed cure for "unknowingly." There's an online version and a phone app.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

It is illegal to launch, control or land a drone ANYWHERE within the city except in the 4 designated NYC Parks....you make it bad for everyone when you act so selfishly and irresponsibly by doing this...the City is entertaining a process to allow drone flights ( although ridiculously complicated and difficult) and this gives them every reason to say that we can't follow rules and should not be allowed to fly.....thanks

Is it a possibility? Yes. But it would have been done by someone illegally.

Making something (not an EMP) isn't that hard for someone with a little bit of knowledge, Google, and an Amazon account.

But using one, and getting caught, can land you in a world of hurt. Interfering with any kind of radio control signal is a huge no-no for anyone except a very few federal alphabet agencies.

It's unlikely that is what happened though. I may have been some other type of interference. And as others have said, drone flying in the exclusion zone isn't allowed.

Reactions: projectarjun
It is illegal to launch, control or land a drone ANYWHERE within the city except in the 4 designated NYC Parks....you make it bad for everyone when you act so selfishly and irresponsibly by doing this...the City is entertaining a process to allow drone flights ( although ridiculously complicated and difficult) and this gives them every reason to say that we can't follow rules and should not be allowed to fly.....thanks
Sorry but this is a very big misconception. according to the b4ufly map most of downtown is actually uncontrolled. the only reason that uptown is restricted is because of laguardia airport. now there are parts of lower manhattan that are restricted such as the World Financial Center, the World Trade Center, Police Plaza 1, etc... but near the Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges you're actually allowed to fly.

Sorry but this is a very big misconception. according to the b4ufly map most of downtown is actually uncontrolled. the only reason that uptown is restricted is because of laguardia airport. now there are parts of lower manhattan that are restricted such as the World Financial Center, the World Trade Center, Police Plaza 1, etc... but near the Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges you're actually allowed to fly.
You’re looking at airspace. NYC controls the ground. They forbid operating without permission. And they don’t grant permissions very often.

For curiosity, they can stop drone flight from private property in the 'restriction area' too ?
In this case, they could. But since the law has been overturned, not any more.

[Edit: as of now, the law is still on the books, but not enforced. That does not mean they won't try and stop you.]

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
does this mean i cant take off but could fly from nyc?
As it is now, the interpretation of the avigation law may still be in effect. So I would advise not operating from any properties in any of the 5 boroughs.

As stated, other than the parks in which flying is allowed, it is illegal to launch, control or land in the City....you can stand on the Nassau County side of the Cross Island Parkway and control your drone and fly into Queens....being careful to not be in controlled space from JFK or LaGuardia

I see you have your address listed in your profile....you actually live in Manhattan...you really have to familiarize yourself with the local laws...The PD has actually reached out to ask citizens to report drones through the news media

Last edited:
Can you point me in the direction of some documentation showing that shows that "the law has been overturned"?
As of now, it's not overturned, it's just not enforced. My mistake.

Reactions: mavictk
As of now, it's not overturned, it's just not enforced. My mistake.
Thanks for the clarification. It's good info to know. I'd still be interested in any links. I did a quick search but most of what I got was useless. It's so hard to find state/city specific drone law info sometimes. Living here in NYC has definitely limited my flying and has forced me to find creative ways of getting footage while staying legal-ish. I've gone out on boats, gone to NJ and flown across the Hudson to get skyline shots, etc. If I can possibly take off from my backyard it would be marvelous.

I get it. Had I seen the exclusion zone (which doesn't extend to my Upper West Side area) on the DJI app I wouldn't have taken it up. I didn't know the B4UFLY was a thing. All things considered it was a safe flight and I'm happy to have learned from it.

B4UFly only has FAA information ...not local information; for instance NYC or National ParksThumbswayup
B4UFly shows National Parks (and similar spots such as National Battlefields and National Wildlife Refuges) as Restricted Ops zones.

Reactions: mavictk

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N