DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstace avoidance

KentMichael

Reactions
BIG QUESTION. I tested my Mavic Air 2 in these nets if it would consider it an obstacle. It went 4 out 5. 4 times it was considered an obstacle but once it tried to go directly through and crashed. Any explanation for this so that I know what to specifically avoid in the future?

2020-05-07 1037.jpg

Think of all the funny clips of people walking into glass doors, they are an obstacle but they didn’t see it.
Your Air 2 will probably see a wall OK but not so good with mesh, twigs or power-lines.
Obstacle Avoidance is only a last resort in an emergency situation it isn’t something to rely on & is no substitute to good flying.

BIG QUESTION. I tested my Mavic Air 2 in these nets if it would consider it an obstacle. It went 4 out 5. 4 times it was considered an obstacle but once it tried to go directly through and crashed. Any explanation for this so that I know what to specifically avoid in the future?

View attachment 115030

The sad truth is that the sensors no matter how good they have gotten are easily confused.

We have seen this over the water many times as it tires to negotiate the changes as quickly as it can,
so most likely you were just increasing your speed and it could not keep up.

If the sensors have enough time they can work magic but when pressed can simply fail.

If you fly into the waves as we do , you can see this confusion at work as we increase speed.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water

Reactions: Thomas B
Some possible reasons :

1) The net lines were too fine for the craft to see clearly
2) There was insufficient contrast betwen the lines and the background ( sky ? )
3) The repetitive pattern of the net fooled the vision system. Search the internet for vision-based object distance estimation and you will know why.

In this fatal accident, the Tesla's autopilot thought that the side of the tractor trailer it collided with was the sky : Tesla death smash probe: Neither driver nor autopilot saw the truck

1602675266414.png

1602675288636.png

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89