DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance - Walking Towards Mavic

jonwitte

Reactions
Has anyone tried walking towards their Mavic With Obstacle Avoidance on? Does it fly backwards so that you don't walk into it? The one time I tried it I got around a foot away but the mav just hovered in place and beeped. That was back when the firmware was early, probably the first version. Wasn't sure if that behavior changed or not since then.

In the videos I'very seen, it does in fact back away from you. If yours does not, I would make sure it's not in sport mode and also make sure the forward sensors are turned on.

Hi all, I am new to the Forum and the Drone World and the Mavic. Must say I enjoy ut very much!
Have found in the DJI Go App in the Sensors a Switch which says allow to fly backwards when tracking. So I think that means you can switch it on or off, Off having the advantage it cannot fly backwards into Obstacles.
Greets from germany!

Has anyone tried walking towards their Mavic With Obstacle Avoidance on? Does it fly backwards so that you don't walk into it? The one time I tried it I got around a foot away but the mav just hovered in place and beeped. That was back when the firmware was early, probably the first version. Wasn't sure if that behavior changed or not since then.

As i understand it, the Mavic will only fly backwards if in active track mode with the switch (in the app) selected.
So the Mavic will not go backward in normal modes!

As i understand it, the Mavic will only fly backwards if in active track mode with the switch (in the app) selected.
So the Mavic will not go backward in normal modes!
do you mean will it fly backwards if an object is detected or just fly backwards in general? I have mine turned off and it will not fly backwards if the forward obstacle avoidance is enabled. If you turn it on, it will allow the Mavic to back up when it senses an object in front of it. In normal flying where the Mavic is moving but the objects around it are stationary, there is no reason to have it back up when detecting an obstacle. in active track, it is meant to track a moving object so it makes sense to allow it to move backward if the object is moving toward it. But having a setting to disable this is also nice since the Mavic does not have any side or rear obstacle avoidance capability.

do you mean will it fly backwards if an object is detected or just fly backwards in general? I have mine turned off and it will not fly backwards if the forward obstacle avoidance is enabled. If you turn it on, it will allow the Mavic to back up when it senses an object in front of it. In normal flying where the Mavic is moving but the objects around it are stationary, there is no reason to have it back up when detecting an obstacle. in active track, it is meant to track a moving object so it makes sense to allow it to move backward if the object is moving toward it. But having a setting to disable this is also nice since the Mavic does not have any side or rear obstacle avoidance capability.
If you turn it on in settings to fly backwards it will only do it in Active track, not normal flight if the OA is triggered. Be careful with this as OA does not protect your bird while going backwards.

Reactions: Drone Master
Thanks for the replies all. I was specifically talking about the normal flying mode, no active track or other modes on, just hovering in place. Was curious to see if it would move back on its own if something got too close to it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

just remember the downward VPS sensors have a detection range of 40 degrees so they will also pick up on objects slightly in front of you as well based on your height. If the downward VPS senses something it will try to raise up to avoid it. So keep that in mid as well or consider turning it off to avoid an unwanted autonomous movement.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake