DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance with Litchi and M2P

Camino Ken

Fair Weather Flyer
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have discovered an interesting quirk regarding obstacle avoidance using Litchi with my M2P. When I am running a very simple waypoint mission and the drone is near the outer limits of the obstacle avoidance system of the Mavic 2 of about 20ft it will detect obstacles and very briefly pause and then continue the mission. The pause and restart is significant enough to affect the recorded video. i need to try the same flight path in Litchi FPV mode to see if the same pause is there.

Has anyone else observed this?

I have discovered an interesting quirk regarding obstacle avoidance using Litchi with my M2P. When I am running a very simple waypoint mission and the drone is near the outer limits of the obstacle avoidance system of the Mavic 2 of about 20ft it will detect obstacles and very briefly pause and then continue the mission. The pause and restart is significant enough to affect the recorded video. i need to try the same flight path in Litchi FPV mode to see if the same pause is there.

Has anyone else observed this?
I've noticed this with my M1, though I don't think mine's as sensitive as 20ft out. Mine seems like around 15, as I see it come up on the screen briefly.
My fix likely wouldn't work with the M2 as it has more OA sensors. I've found if I position the ac at enough of an angle so the front sensors aren't aimed in the direction of the object, this eliminates the issue. This is actually helpful when running a mission that comes close to buildings/objects as I'm able to aim towards the object, slowing the craft down for intricate maneuvers.
One other thing I found at the same time is to ensure you have more than 1m of curve in the waypoints or that seems to slow the craft down as well.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I've noticed this with my M1, though I don't think mine's as sensitive as 20ft out. Mine seems like around 15, as I see it come up on the screen briefly.
My fix likely wouldn't work with the M2 as it has more OA sensors. I've found if I position the ac at enough of an angle so the front sensors aren't aimed in the direction of the object, this eliminates the issue. This is actually helpful when running a mission that comes close to buildings/objects as I'm able to aim towards the object, slowing the craft down for intricate maneuvers.
One other thing I found at the same time is to ensure you have more than 1m of curve in the waypoints or that seems to slow the craft down as well.
Thanks for your response. Actually, mine could have been closer like 15 ft, it was difficult to estimate the distance since it was a tree that was 50 ft above me. Also I am flying in P mode so the side sensors should be off, unless Litchi uses them surreptitiously. I appreciate your suggestions.

I too have seen this, twice. I take it as a "Wake-up Call". If I have a flight path too near a tree, flying the Mission on one day can be fine but the next day, in higher wind conditions, can blow the leafy part of the tree so as to intrude on the flight. The stop and pause thing.....I don't really get that part of it.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I too have seen this, twice. I take it as a "Wake-up Call". If I have a flight path too near a tree, flying the Mission on one day can be fine but the next day, in higher wind conditions, can blow the leafy part of the tree so as to intrude on the flight. The stop and pause thing.....I don't really get that part of it.
Hi Jeff,

What do you mean “I don’t really get that part of it”. The pause by the way, is very brief, just barely enough to notice it in the recording.

Hey, give me call if you have a minute.

Ken

Hi Jeff,

What do you mean “I don’t really get that part of it”. The pause by the way, is very brief, just barely enough to notice it in the recording.

Hey, give me call if you have a minute.

Ken
Your phone is ringing!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet