DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obtaining Copyright for Music

Hiwayman

Reactions
A while ago I was asked to produce a video of a local area, backed by music from a popular artist. I explained the problem with copyright albeit the client only wanted it for personal use.
I tried contacting the artists Facebook page and also the record company but got no replies.
So how do you obtain copyright in such a scenario?
It's probably hypothetical now, but I would like to know for future....
I could supply the video and then they can do what they wish....but I'd like to know the best way????

Contact the record company again as a starting point, by email and then by phone if you still get no response. Or the artist's management. One or the other will be able to sort it out with the artist and music publisher (if different). I've done this a number of times - and you should definitely get a "go ahead" before using someone else's work. Legal proceedings and fines are more or less automatically dished out, with a well-trodden route for punishing offenders.

What you are looking for is a Master Use license. Find out which music label owns the rights, then contact their licensing department or their business affairs department.

Reactions: Hiwayman
A while ago I was asked to produce a video of a local area, backed by music from a popular artist. I explained the problem with copyright albeit the client only wanted it for personal use.
I tried contacting the artists Facebook page and also the record company but got no replies.
So how do you obtain copyright in such a scenario?
It's probably hypothetical now, but I would like to know for future....
I could supply the video and then they can do what they wish....but I'd like to know the best way????
I have several family members that are music artist's. one of my son's, one of my brothers, one of my son-in-laws, niece, and nephew.

the cheapest and simple way is to contact the artist.

Another option is to find a company that sells low cost licenses or subscriptions to all you can eat licenses for a monthly fee to a specific library of music (and sound effects) that they curate. I personally use Soundstripe. You won’t get that specific song you wanted but you can often find good music in whatever genre you’re looking for.

I believe you need a synchronization license in order to use it. Contact your local ASCAP or BMI office for info. Even better contact the publishing co. If you can.

Reactions: anotherlab

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar