DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obtaining waivers for Disney

GypsyAerialImagery

Reactions
I am a licensed 107 pilot. I have been flying now for about 2 years. I currently fly a Mavic 3 Pro. Recently I obtained a job for a production at the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel. I am being contracted in through a production company for exterior shots of the event. I know that this is a Restricted Airspace that has a TFR applied to it. I am looking for direction/guidance on obtaining the waivers required to make this happen.
I am familiar with the B4fly app and obtaining LAANC, however this airspace is different and requires more work.
As a starting point I have submitted an AAP through the FAA. I have also been told that I will need a letter signing off on this flight from a "Don Winfield, Aviation and Risk Management Director."
Does anyone else have further guidance on the steps needed to finish this process? Or information on how to directly contact the Aviation Risk Management office?

Thanks
Brad

Reactions: Cafguy
I am a licensed 107 pilot. I have been flying now for about 2 years. I currently fly a Mavic 3 Pro. Recently I obtained a job for a production at the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel. I am being contracted in through a production company for exterior shots of the event. I know that this is a Restricted Airspace that has a TFR applied to it. I am looking for direction/guidance on obtaining the waivers required to make this happen.
I am familiar with the B4fly app and obtaining LAANC, however this airspace is different and requires more work.
As a starting point I have submitted an AAP through the FAA. I have also been told that I will need a letter signing off on this flight from a "Don Winfield, Aviation and Risk Management Director."
Does anyone else have further guidance on the steps needed to finish this process? Or information on how to directly contact the Aviation Risk Management office?

Thanks
Brad
Don Winfield
Aviation & Risk Management Director at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, Greater Orlando

15 seconds to search on the web. Set up a free Link In account to access the phone number. Or you can call the main switchboard at Disney in Orlando. Sometimes it's easiest to ask for the personnel department rather than dealing with the first-line people answering the phone.

Thanks
Brad
You will need to submit for your air space authorization at the FAA Drone zone. I don't know anything about getting approval from Don Winfield, but if its needed the FAA will tell you. Submit as early as you can for the authorization. Normally mine are approved in a couple of weeks but if you can give 30 days plus it may help. You will need to do a number of things when completing the request. I work up in North Florida and we have a lot of military bases up here. The FAA has been amazing to work with and they appear very understanding when you are trying to perform work for a client. They like to help. When you get the call from them to discuss just smile and let them guide you.

Reactions: jmaganaski
You will need to submit for your air space authorization at the FAA Drone zone. I don't know anything about getting approval from Don Winfield, but if its needed the FAA will tell you. Submit as early as you can for the authorization. Normally mine are approved in a couple of weeks but if you can give 30 days plus it may help. You will need to do a number of things when completing the request. I work up in North Florida and we have a lot of military bases up here. The FAA has been amazing to work with and they appear very understanding when you are trying to perform work for a client. They like to help. When you get the call from them to discuss just smile and let them guide you.

To get approval to fly in the TFR you have to contact the Originator of the TFR. Once they give approval you can then circle back to the FAA but without the approval from the Originator it's not going to happen.

I am being contracted in through a production company for exterior shots of the event.
Flying around a Disney property? Good Luck!! If you have been contracted thru a Production Company You realize it is their JOB to obtain any permissions from the Disney Corp. { probably NOT gonna happen).
I am being contracted in through a production company for exterior shots of the event.
Are there gonna be people cause thats gonna be a public gathering so you will have to be pretty far away and use your zoom.
Flying on, or near, or around, Disney property is pretty much like trying to get permission to film the president with your drone-Its not gonna happen, and in order for it too happen you probably should have started your paperwork about 6 months before your shoot.
When it comes to drones Disney is not a very welcoming company unless of course THEY are paying for it.
The only air traffic allowed over Disney property are air ambulances all other types of aviation activities need approval and I have NEVER heard of them giving it to ANY outside corp.
The areas above Disney property are considered National defense airspace and you can actually end up in prison for flying without permission! { Even commercial airliners need permission -Its True!}

Last edited:
The areas above Disney property are considered National defense airspace and you can actually end up in prison for flying without permission!{ Even commercial airliners need permission -Its True!}

Ok, I have to ask for a reference on that one.

So, are commercial communication and GPS satellites restricted, too?

• Wow
Reactions: Cafguy
These Places enjoy the same kind of airspace protection as the White House in Washington. They received temporary special safety status following 9/11 in 2001. Two years later, it was made permanent.
No planes are allowed below 3,000 feet and within three miles of the two parks. The ban includes all flying objects. It is possible to apply for a permit, where the Transport Security Administration (TSA) will vet the pilots and passengers and send a waiver request to the FAA. The parks are the only two non-governmental locations in the continental US to have NFZs in place. So unless Don Winfield is a government agent and a Disney employee he is going to need more yesses than just his.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
These Places enjoy the same kind of airspace protection as the White House in Washington. They received temporary special safety status following 9/11 in 2001. Two years later, it was made permanent.
No planes are allowed below 3,000 feet and within three miles of the two parks. The ban includes all flying objects. It is possible to apply for a permit, where the Transport Security Administration (TSA) will vet the pilots and passengers and send a waiver request to the FAA. The parks are the only two non-governmental locations in the continental US to have NFZs in place.
Thanks. Interesting; good to know. Here's the reference for anyone interested.

And a few insignificant nits to pick. The TFR has a three-mile radius, not three miles from the park boundaries.
The TFR prohibits "aircraft" rather than all flying objects, so migrating birds are ok.

And a few insignificant nits to pick. The TFR has a three-mile radius, not three miles from the park boundaries.
The TFR prohibits "aircraft" rather than all flying objects, so migrating birds are ok.
You know, there are some drone models that may be just right for TFR restricted projects like these…
IMG_1731.jpeg

Thanks
Brad
If you have been contracted to work FOR the production company, you're an employee. In this circumstance, the production company should be the entity whose responsibility it is to secure relevant permissions and waivers.... unless you have approached the production company as an independent supplier (sub-contractor), in which case you have ended up in a position where it is your responsibility to secure appropriate permissions. I think it might make things easier for you to clarify your role in this production then pass the buck if you can.

While it is nice to be independent, sometimes it makes a lot more sense to swallow your pride and become a temporary employee.

Just another article about applying for waivers at disney

Steps include:
2 Letters of Authorization (one from Disney and one from the risk assessment office.)
A detailed flight plans (AGL, Time flying, Exact location)
an AAP request.
A Drone Zone Request
Detailed Pilot information. (UAS type, weight, sensors, does it return to home, obstacle avoidance, flight speed)
Ill let yall know!

That’s pretty intense-and ironclad…

Well after a ton of leg work and getting everything I needed, having the production company reach out as well. I have been denied. Disney Security would not sign off.

It has been a great learning experience, and I was able to apply those contacts to get hired for another gig. If anyone ever gets permission, I would love to pick your brain on how it was done.

Reactions: BigAl07

Thanks
Brad
I just tried, for just inside the border for Disney World. I was told: "Without a signed letter from Disney stating it is FOR Disney, it will not be approved."

If you are doing commercial work on Disney property. They have final approval of all footage to be released and they can edit your videos in anyway they like. Basically you go there and film They seize your work they then sit on it and edit it and give you back the end result. Thats if they agree to let you film on the property. If you wanna film with a drone on Disney Property you have to be on the VERY SHORT list of persons approved by Disney and the Federal Government. I am sure to get on that list you have to know somebody that knows somebody...as well as Be a drone pilot That is well known with plenty of background. If you are not a member of one of the unions or a production company that hires union members you may not get considered to work on the property at all--Welcome to Hollywood..

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N