DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ocusync range.. a bit disappointed so far

Dronebow

Reactions
Flying my Phantom 3 from my back yard I was only able to get about 1500 ~ 2000 feet before I would lose signal. I'm using this as my base point. So now that I have the MP I did the same thing and was fairly disappointed that it was the same. Not sure if there is something causing a signal disruption but curious if the Ocusync also suffers the same loss of signal due to "whatever" was causing it on the P3.

Also in a different location I was getting signal errors at about 2000' from my starting location. There were highlines between me and the drone, not sure if that matters. I have not yet gone out to the spot where I was able to get a good range test. Wondering if these findings are normal though...

Not me. I had a wonderful flight in the forest from an overlook. Went out 15,000 feet without a single hiccup. My confidence failed and I turned around. I got back with over 40% battery. You had obstructed view.

Edit. Do you have a place like an overlook you can try a test from? The less man made crap the better the range. Trees will certainly block the signal, too but not as bad this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Not me ether, went 3km out and still had 3 bars of reception no sig loss at any point. Check your interference levels if you are wearing a smart watch take it off and switch of your phone's wifi. Move to a location with little interference. Have the antennas as indicated in the instructions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Went out about 7K feet once and signal started degrading around there but it never went out. This was with plenty of trees between controller and Mavic. I have been super impressed with the range.. I can only imagine what it'll do in a wide open space

Perhaps I have a significant amount of interference. I'll have to do a range test where I know what I have done before on my P3.

Reactions: Mr Spock
I think a lot of it has to do with where you controller is, and how many sources of interference are between you and the MP. I'm definitely getting further than with my P2V+ (which used to max out at about 1500 before control and video began to drop out enough to trigger RTH). Now, I'm getting about 4000' before I get interference warnings and significant glitching on the video (though no RTH triggers).

For reference, I live in a fairly densely populated part of Tampa Bay. My subdivision has over 1100 homes. Flying around those homes (via lakes and cypress patches) is like threading a needle.

I'm heading up to middle-TN tonight (10hr road trip with a 1yo and 3yo - yay!) to my vacation pad. It sits on the edge of a 1000' cliff that overlooks the Cumberland Plateau. The closest neighbor is nearly a mile away. I should have a good comparison post in the next few days.

You likely have a lot of interference (look at the signal graph in the "HD" section of the app), combined with "highlines between me and the drone" can certainly severely reduce range. Best results are attained in clear LOS, some thin stuff like trees can be OK, but anything solid (buildings etc) will cause a severe drop, don't go behind that.

That's so true, I live in DenverCity, TX. And it's all wide open oil field LoL, but I have been out 26,000 feet just about 5 miles stock antennas on my P4, no drop out and perfect video, I'm really tempted to send my daughter down the road to see if I can hit 6-7 miles,,,, LoL that's what I'm hoping for when my Mavic finally gets here!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Being in HK I get tons of interference. I often see the "weak rc signal" or "aircraft interference" msg pop up at least twice a flight. Scares me :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the max range of 7km for the Mavic only applied for US pilots (under FCC guidelines) - if you're anywhere else in the world, we effectively get throttled to only half that distance (about 3km).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580