DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Of course, the one time I need it to connect, it doesn't! Probably my fault.

DesignFlaw06

Reactions
OK, to start out, I have not done a search on what went wrong. This is really just a vent post. I don't have my Mavic nearby right now. I'm still irritated and I don't want to get frustrated with the Air in hand and do something I'll regret.

My parents headed out on a motorcycle trip. They decided to take the ferry across Lake Michigan to start. I thought, how cool would it be to fly the Air around the ferry while it is in the channel headed out. I instructed my parents to make sure they were on the top deck looking out.

I arrived about 10-15 minutes early. I thought that was plenty of time to make sure I was set up. Maybe even fly a little bit before just to make sure there was no issues with wind or anything else. This thing would not connect to the RC. I rebooted everything over and over. Panic set in as I saw the ferry approaching. The wind had died down. It was perfect conditions to fly. No dice. The ferry sailed on by. My parents were waving and hollering. I'm sure they told everyone up top that I would be flying. I walked away pissed and embarrassed.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with the Mavic Air. I'm still learning, but I hadn't had an issue yet. My Phantom 3 had connection issues from time to time, but usually a reboot fixed it. It dawned on me that the last time I flew it was just with Wifi and the phone. Maybe it is stuck in that mode or I have to get it out of that mode. I'm not sure. I'm not mad at the aircraft (yet). I'm mad at myself for not knowing enough about it. Cell signal isn't great by the beach so the internet wasn't providing enough help in time.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm sorry to hear you missed the shot, and can totally feel the frustration! I'd be curious to know what would have interrupted the linking as well. Just to check, the LED on the controller never turned green?
DJI Go sometimes falsely reports a disconnect while the controller is perfectly linked. Did you reboot not only the Air and controller, but your phone as well?

Reactions: BMW Z4
OK, to start out, I have not done a search on what went wrong. This is really just a vent post. I don't have my Mavic nearby right now. I'm still irritated and I don't want to get frustrated with the Air in hand and do something I'll regret.

My parents headed out on a motorcycle trip. They decided to take the ferry across Lake Michigan to start. I thought, how cool would it be to fly the Air around the ferry while it is in the channel headed out. I instructed my parents to make sure they were on the top deck looking out.

I arrived about 10-15 minutes early. I thought that was plenty of time to make sure I was set up. Maybe even fly a little bit before just to make sure there was no issues with wind or anything else. This thing would not connect to the RC. I rebooted everything over and over. Panic set in as I saw the ferry approaching. The wind had died down. It was perfect conditions to fly. No dice. The ferry sailed on by. My parents were waving and hollering. I'm sure they told everyone up top that I would be flying. I walked away pissed and embarrassed.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with the Mavic Air. I'm still learning, but I hadn't had an issue yet. My Phantom 3 had connection issues from time to time, but usually a reboot fixed it. It dawned on me that the last time I flew it was just with Wifi and the phone. Maybe it is stuck in that mode or I have to get it out of that mode. I'm not sure. I'm not mad at the aircraft (yet). I'm mad at myself for not knowing enough about it. Cell signal isn't great by the beach so the internet wasn't providing enough help in time.

Thanks for letting me vent.
You have to switch it back to RC mode after using it only with the phone WiFi. That was your issue. I have learned that the same way lol. Tried to connect it back to RC but wouldn't do it then looked online how to put it back to RC and it's fairly easy just hold the button on back of your AIR until you hear 1 beep, for 2 beeps it's mobile WiFi connection.

Reactions: MrRobville
You have to switch it back to RC mode after using it only with the phone WiFi. That was your issue. I have learned that the same way lol. Tried to connect it back to RC but wouldn't do it then looked online how to put it back to RC and it's fairly easy just hold the button on back of your AIR until you hear 1 beep, for 2 beeps it's mobile WiFi connection.

Thank you. I will give this a try when I get home. That does sound like my issue. Like I said, I was fairly certain it was something I was doing wrong.

OK, that was the issue. I do have another question. Do I need to do the RC pairing (holding the Pause, Fn, and C button) every time I switch back and forth? The answer I found was yes, but that seems unnecessary. Am I doing something wrong?

OK, that was the issue. I do have another question. Do I need to do the RC pairing (holding the Pause, Fn, and C button) every time I switch back and forth? The answer I found was yes, but that seems unnecessary. Am I doing something wrong?
I didn't do that, I've just put the AIR back into RC connecting with beep thing and that's it. I heard for those button combo but never needed it nor did it, the " beeb back button " of the drone did the trick for me, this way works for me just fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000