DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Off colour video footage. Pink center, vignette edges

nzgreen

Reactions
On this particular shoot I seem to have ended up with a strange colour balance across the image when flying at the beach. As you can see I have a pink center spot in the footage and a vignette around the outside. Its more apparent in the low level shots rather than the big high wides.

I was shooting video @ UHD 25p, 50th shutter, Auto White Balance, I know I probably should have locked it on a preset but I was being lazy thinking there wouldn't be an issue and was using the POLA PRO ND16CP filter. Is the CP the cause?

I couldnt see it using my iPhone 5 as a monitor.... and have plans on upscaling to an ipad when I can afford it.

Can anybody offer any constructive feedback / advice on why this might have happened so I can avoid it in the future? Ive yet to do any more flights as I've been on the road traveling but plan to fly again next week and have been reading up on what other pilots are setting there cameras to.

Since the beach shoot I have upgraded the Firmware and have yet to set up new parameters and test. For now I figure I would reach out to see if anybody else had had the same off colour results...

Thanks
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 8.42.54 pm copy.jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 8.43.39 pm copy.jpg

The pink centre is sometimes noticed in RAW photos especially scenes like snow or beach.
it dos look like the polariser is somehow exaggerating that beyond what the onboard processing can fix (it 'knows' about the pink spot which is a feature of the sensor)

Must say since polarisers need careful setting up on a land based camera - and have mostly negative effects if used wrongly - I can't see them being much use on a Mavic unless you are looking at a particular relatively static scene.

I'm noticing it too. I'm using the latest firmware, no filter, iso 100, and 1/3200 sec. I've seen it in several pictures and videos. Did you contact DJI?

Attachments

• 2017-01-22 Mavic at Yampa 360 Pano-23.jpg
    2017-01-22 Mavic at Yampa 360 Pano-23.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 17
Yup, the Mavic uses a cell-phone camera sensor with extremely close optics, so it is well known to get an off-color center (usually pinkish or yellowish) relative to the borders. The system corrects a bit of it when converting DNG to JPG or collecting movies, but once you see it, you can't un-see it. Your pattern does seem different and maybe the polarizer has an impact here.

Thanks. I'll check if my polarizer make it worse also. Seems like an issue a "pro" product shouldn't have.

It seems like nearly, if not all Mavics have this "warm spot", usually magenta, sometimes greenish. It is most visible when your image is primarily gray or white. But @halley is correct, once you see it, you will always see it.

We had a similar issue but found out it was only on one laptop and not the other. Also sent footage to a phone and it wasn’t there either. Not sure why there’s this difference but maybe try using a different monitor to see if it’s that vs the raw footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird