DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

I think the platinum props really work well with less weight. I'm going to do another wattage comparison to stock props.

I wonder, after reading about the 3 recent crashed Mavics, if you crash your old Mavic Pro, and say bought the newer Mavic Pro Platinum, but just the drone, does the old remote work with the newer Mavic? The batteries / props are compatible, I assume the remote is also, just never read about it being compatible. Need to know in case I ever lose mine. No point in buying the whole system if you just need the bird. Plus insurance coverage won't buy me a new remote and 3 extra batteries only replace what I lost. Would be better to have it stolen than a crash probably, then you get everything.

bBv8lCp.png

Crawling at the start, barely 11m/s due to headwind. After looking at the data there's definitely a bunch more distance available on a calm day. 30 sec after the turnaround a headwind gust suddenly slowed things down, and then 3 more times the wind came up varying the power consumption.

I wonder, after reading about the 3 recent crashed Mavics, if you crash your old Mavic Pro, and say bought the newer Mavic Pro Platinum, but just the drone, does the old remote work with the newer Mavic? The batteries / props are compatible, I assume the remote is also, just never read about it being compatible. Need to know in case I ever lose mine. No point in buying the whole system if you just need the bird. Plus insurance coverage won't buy me a new remote and 3 extra batteries only replace what I lost. Would be better to have it stolen than a crash probably, then you get everything.

Yes, was thinking to buy the platinum body only, or perhaps the esc board once people start selling parts.

Reactions: cderoche
Yes, was thinking to buy the platinum body only, or perhaps the esc board once people start selling parts.
If the esc board price is similar to the pro, it will be a reasonable upgrade. I'm in line to get a board once they become available, but the problem could be the firmware to take advantage of it.

I have a 100% bone stock pro here with platinum props and I'm going to compare power draw to the first platinums to arrive here locally.

If the esc board price is similar to the pro, it will be a reasonable upgrade. I'm in line to get a board once they become available, but the problem could be the firmware to take advantage of it.

I have a 100% bone stock pro here with platinum props and I'm going to compare power draw to the first platinums to arrive here locally.

Speaking of esc board, this is what can happen when your battery goes dead over concrete, bent entire mavic including esc board.
20171021_152102.jpg
20171021_152040.jpg

What would think the "weight limit" on the old Mavic using Platinum props is? Meaning I have a Multistar 4000 and a 5200mah LiHV pack, would either one alone be too much for my motors? I haven't tested the new props with either external pack yet, and I remember you mentioned the motors ran pretty hot with the new props and two 4000mah packs. I don't plan on making my Mavic go on the Atkins Diet and start pulling parts and drilling holes, but maybe some slight ventilation for the motors if its really needed. Or just not use the new props with an external. If nothing else I like that they are less noisy. Only had 5 minutes to test them out so far.

5636d96bbb2402f9ca6ee62bc1424c24.jpg

This core board isn't doing so well. Powers up and connects on usb but doesn't say much.

I strongly advise against removing heatsink. Those cores will fail very soon if you do that. Most likely you won't make it through a flight without cores acting erratically or shutting down completely. Feel the bottom plate after a minute of turning on Mavic. That heat is all from processor cores. The air wlll not cool them enough. They need greater conductivity to pull away heat, which is why the thermal paste and heatsink is there.

Edit:
If you want to lighten the heatsink, you could cut or drill away some of it which is not in direct contact with cores.

Since a few guys here are really gutting the Mavic pretty heavy, has anyone thought of trying to take the major components and putting them on one of those racing frames? Not sure though about which weighs more... the drilled out gutted Mavic frame or a carbon fiber frame. Too bad there aren't some type of add on wings that angle adjust to the tilt of the drone during forward flight, add some lift and slow down the motors.

A250 Carbon Fibre Racing Drone Frame

Since a few guys here are really gutting the Mavic pretty heavy, has anyone thought of trying to take the major components and putting them on one of those racing frames? Not sure though about which weighs more... the drilled out gutted Mavic frame or a carbon fiber frame. Too bad there aren't some type of add on wings that angle adjust to the tilt of the drone during forward flight, add some lift and slow down the motors.

You won't save any weight. You'd still need entire processor board, esc board, and heatsink which is most of the weight. In fact it would be heavier in the end by the time you mounted everything.

Reactions: cderoche

The carbon frame has a lot more rigidity than we need. The Mavic middle frame is all that's necessary to fly and some material can be trimmed off that as well.

Drill the stock arms and that's about as light as you're going to get.

The core board will not overheat in flight with proper airflow. On the bench it will shut down in a few minutes with no heat sink or fan, but with air blown over it, no issues. My 30k ft flight was made with no heat sink.

i'm going to assume you're joking!

no,ok im unsure if it’s actually breaking the law,but i am sure its breaking the FAA rule of not maintaining the aircraft in clear visual line of sight,go ahead and correct me if im wrong

no,ok im unsure if it’s actually breaking the law,but i am sure its breaking the FAA rule of not maintaining the aircraft in clear visual line of sight,go ahead and correct me if im wrong

any one of you 20+ members of this dedicated long-distance thread wanna take this guy on, or should I?
hold me back dirkclod! you know I've been trying real hard to be good.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916