DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

lolo do you think when I use the 4000 or the 5200mah MS LiHV pack on top I should fly with the stock props and not the platinum ones? I have felt my motors super hot yet, however its been a little cooler lately weather wise here. Does the Mavic give a motor over heat warning at all? Don't want a motor to just fail abruptly mid flight. I only fly with a single external pack, I feel more than that is a lot of weight for the little Mavic. At least, as mine is setup, I have not shed weight like you have :D

With a single battery I would try the platinum props. Take the rear lower caps off and cut a notch in the front antenna arms to get some air under the front motors. There's no motor temperature sensing, but you can get motor current errors which might be triggered if the flight control thinks the motor current is too high for the flight conditions.

ESC temperature is logged and I'd recommend taking a look. I was just flying one of my bone stock Mavics yesterday in freezing conditions and the ESC temps hit 53c not even pushing hard.

58,919 ft. and back with the Mavic Pro -Terminator Extreme antenna boosted- 2x M.S. 4000 4.35 batteries Original props. I haven't got around to posting this on Mavic Pilots it's about a month old. This is the limit of the Mavic Pro. It has a glitch that kicks in right at 58k. We were hoping that the hackers could find the error in the code and fix it but so far nadda. This is a straight up battery mod no weight modifications and no hacks. Weight modded god we could go so much further its a shame.
@JakeMaxxUAV Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

:cool:Thumbswayup

Take some weight off and see how far you can fly past the home point. Maybe we should make an exception for anyone who can reach the software limit where they can add on distance after reaching home as long as it's on the same heading.

Reactions: cderoche
With a single battery I would try the platinum props. Take the rear lower caps off and cut a notch in the front antenna arms to get some air under the front motors. There's no motor temperature sensing, but you can get motor current errors which might be triggered if the flight control thinks the motor current is too high for the flight conditions.

ESC temperature is logged and I'd recommend taking a look. I was just flying one of my bone stock Mavics yesterday in freezing conditions and the ESC temps hit 53c not even pushing hard.

I'll need to do that, just now I flew with the 5200mah pack and the motors were hotter than I've felt them yet. I've never reviewed the log yet, do I need special software to interpret the data?

I'll need to do that, just now I flew with the 5200mah pack and the motors were hotter than I've felt them yet. I've never reviewed the log yet, do I need special software to interpret the data?
All 4 motors or just the rears?
Use csviewer to look at the aircraft side .DAT files.
CsvView/DatCon

All 4 felt pretty hot, rears probably a tad more than the front 2. I can post the data here if you want once I figure out how to get the file.
ms9IiAs.jpg

Try that and it should cut your motor temps down nicely.

:cool:Thumbswayup

Take some weight off and see how far you can fly past the home point. Maybe we should make an exception for anyone who can reach the software limit where they can add on distance after reaching home as long as it's on the same heading.
Actually I would rather wait until somebody figures out a way around it. I have other projects that I can work on till that happens.

Reactions: digdat0
I've read all 89 pages (that took quite a while), and have not seen many references to aerodynamics. Lots of battery and radio mods, but wouldn't it make sense to envelope the Mavic pro in an "airplane wing" shaped bubble...similar to the land speed record cars and motorcycles, but with a shape that provides lift? I know most of you fly at fairly low altitudes for these records, but would additional lift provided by the forward motion of the bird, and lower drag, not have dramatic effects? Could be made out of extremely thin (.010"-.015" polycarbonate, vaccum-formed to shape). It's the same stuff RC car bodies are made of. Has anyone tried this?

b1e5ff07fb0c71d8b6fafa619efe6013.jpg

Like this? [emoji38]

Reducing tilt angle of the body will make the biggest difference first. I tape over the front grill and use more efficient cooling as well as tapering the rear tail by eliminating the empty space above the GPS module.

Streamlining the external batteries should help as well, keeping them right against the bodywork and taping up any gaps that will catch air. I don't use any velcro/dual-lock to minimize frontal area.

ms9IiAs.jpg

Try that and it should cut your motor temps down nicely.

Does that little cover just snap off the bottom? I took the prop off and unscrewed three screws holding the mount on top for the props but don't see any more screws just motor wire coils. Don't wanna break it and can't find any videos of this...

Does that little cover just snap off the bottom? I took the prop off and unscrewed three screws holding the mount on top for the props but don't see any more screws just motor wire coils. Don't wanna break it and can't find any videos of this...
The cover pulls off from the bottom.

I've read all 89 pages (that took quite a while), and have not seen many references to aerodynamics. Lots of battery and radio mods, but wouldn't it make sense to envelope the Mavic pro in an "airplane wing" shaped bubble...similar to the land speed record cars and motorcycles, but with a shape that provides lift? I know most of you fly at fairly low altitudes for these records, but would additional lift provided by the forward motion of the bird, and lower drag, not have dramatic effects? Could be made out of extremely thin (.010"-.015" polycarbonate, vaccum-formed to shape). It's the same stuff RC car bodies are made of. Has anyone tried this?

Hey rfc, I don't remember anyone on this thread that stood up as an aerodynamics expert. We have experts in every other discipline here, so if you are an expert we would love to hear what we should implement.

Hey rfc, I don't remember anyone on this thread that stood up as an aerodynamics expert. We have experts in every other discipline here, so if you are an expert we would love to hear what we should implement.

I thought lolo was our local expert? ;)
upload_2017-11-8_13-56-29.png

Mine doesn't pull off by hand, did you have to rip it off with a pair of vice grips? Didn't wanna destroy it...

Are you talking about the rear or front caps. In the front, there is some hot glue that is holding the wire to the plastic caps. You might have to pull it down just a little and scratch off the glue. Not sure about the rears.

I thought lolo was our local expert? ;)
View attachment 24550

:D:D

I just build stuff that looks like it'll work. I've used Fluent CFD before, but only in 2d to look at some basic airfoil shapes for my car. In the end I used an off the shelf airfoil like this NACA 4 digit airfoil generator (NACA 2412 AIRFOIL) and built my wing. Testing consisted of a scale to measure downforce, and driving while yelling vehicle speeds at the camera pointed to the scale readout.

Would be interesting if someone had the resources at work to model a Mavic in flight.

Are you talking about the rear or front caps. In the front, there is some hot glue that is holding the wire to the plastic caps. You might have to pull it down just a little and scratch off the glue. Not sure about the rears.

The rear ones, they have a little tab on each, tried pulling pretty hard but they won't budge. Maybe glued? I just don't want to destroy them if I don't have to. I still use my Mavic for video footage sometimes :D

b878fd3446b5b8ea767f07e1d960b83e.jpg

Try this and pull straight off.

Yeah its a grip issue - the little tab is very short and slips when I try by hand. I'll try using a towel or shop towel to keep the pliers from tearing it up. I couldn't help but notice the entire motor is ripped from the arm!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The rear ones, they have a little tab on each, tried pulling pretty hard but they won't budge. Maybe glued? I just don't want to destroy them if I don't have to. I still use my Mavic for video footage sometimes :D
Dude, just rip it out. You can't hurt anything from doing this and they snap right back in if you want to put them back. I have 6 of them if you need replacements.

Reactions: cderoche
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman