DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Definitely an advantage to keeping the motors and electronics cool, but you need to keep the battery temps up. Mainly a problem for the externals.
I'm putting insulation on my batteries and will heat them to 40c before flying.

https://www.amazon.com/Turnigy-Programmable-Lipo-Battery-Warmer/dp/B00USQVMKS

Keeping batteries warm is especially needed for those with high internal resistance such as the ones you are using. If you use Multistar LiHV it's not so important. Multistar Lipo High Capacity on the other hand have terrible internal resistance and I saw drastic difference in performance between cool and warm days.

Reactions: cderoche
2c8f28f9eab7146f9df61ca52781771c.gif

Smart a** :). If I flip the batteries around, all the exposed wires/connectors I assumed would create more drag than the flat front of the battery as depicted.

More performance from your LiPo (Tutorial)

I found that keeping them hot during a 40 min flight is the issue due to low discharge rate and modern batteries having low internal resistance. Would be nice to ditch the fan and somehow use that heat directly on the batteries.

One thing people using extra batteries on board the Mavic should take note from that thread is this:

"If you connect two batteries, they must both be fully charged to the same voltage
If you use two batteries on a Y-connector (a parallel connection), if they are at different voltages when you connect them, they will quickly equalize. This will cause them to both exceed their C rating and puff."

I usually get that battery error unless I take off immediately after connecting the extra pack. I use the LiHV pack, so I wonder if that extra .03-.04vdc does any harm to either battery? (not any yet that I can tell) Plus I wonder if that battery error warning can be firmware adjusted, like give us that much extra voltage in the program before getting that error....

Last edited:
Smart a** :). If I flip the batteries around, all the exposed wires/connectors I assumed would create more drag than the flat front of the battery as depicted.

Seriously, I wonder if a wrap or skin could be put over it though to make it more aerodynamic? We are talking about several miles flight at 30-40mph speeds. Provided it could be done quickly. Like that Press N Seal stuff.

Thought I could break @dirtybum 's stock record this morning with my new Mavic and Platinum props. Still learning this new bird and came up short with 25K into a 7mph headwind. 9% battery left. Not even going to post the flight. I will try again on a better day. I'm sure I can hit 29 - 30K out with these platinum props. Thing is, I'm sure other can as well once they upgrade props

Thought I could break @dirtybum 's stock record this morning with my new Mavic and Platinum props. Still learning this new bird and came up short with 25K into a 7mph headwind. 9% battery left. Not even going to post the flight. I will try again on a better day. I'm sure I can hit 29 - 30K out with these platinum props. Thing is, I'm sure other can as well once they upgrade props
So i ask again: when was this new mav produced? I m curious why there would be a weight difference between new n older mav (or is the added weight cause of the battery hardwire mod?).
My birds weigh 737g TOW. None is modded yet since i had to take em out for extensive quality check.
@bub:
Im absolutely sure the batteries on top screw up airtime. I like em that way and since i do not try to break records i will keep that (will test sidemount soon).
The mav top side has camber like an airfoil. It will create some lift during fwd flight. Also the props run in “clean” air.
The batteries on top create a total mess for the rear props that try to create lift from a messy airflow.
A situation like this can cause a “deepstall” on certain aircraft types...

So i ask again: when was this new mav produced? I m curious why there would be a weight difference between new n older mav (or is the added weight cause of the battery hardwire mod?).
My birds weigh 737g TOW. None is modded yet since i had to take em out for extensive quality check.
@bub:
Im absolutely sure the batteries on top screw up airtime. I like em that way and since i do not try to break records i will keep that (will test sidemount soon).
The mav top side has camber like an airfoil. It will create some lift during fwd flight. Also the props run in “clean” air.
The batteries on top create a total mess for the rear props that try to create lift from a messy airflow.

Makiak, I thought I heard cybernate say they are better on top?? I am confused what to do :)

So i ask again: when was this ne
w mav produced? I m curious why there would be a weight difference between new n older mav (or is the added weight cause of the battery hardwire mod?).
@bub:

The weight difference is due to the battery mod on the old one. It is standard weight for a bird without battery and props. I have to weight this way because my scale only goes to 500grams. I don't know when the bird was made. I see that is was first flown in mid-July, so it's not new, but only a handful of flights.

This is a very interesting thread, but I'm curious what firmwares you guys are running to hit these remarkable distances? I keep hearing about the firmwares from .900, .1000, .0000 etc haveing much limited range, several people are mentioning on Youtube, but nothing to back up these claims?

This is a very interesting thread, but I'm curious what firmwares you guys are running to hit these remarkable distances? I keep hearing about the firmwares from .900, .1000, .0000 etc haveing much limited range, several people are mentioning on Youtube, but nothing to back up these claims?

Firmware doesn't matter for distance. Many of us run .700 as it doesn't require you to log into the go app.

Keeping batteries warm is especially needed for those with high internal resistance such as the ones you are using. If you use Multistar LiHV it's not so important. Multistar Lipo High Capacity on the other hand have terrible internal resistance and I saw drastic difference in performance between cool and warm days.

I think I found my first cold evening anomaly of the season.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I was cruising back after what I thought was a leader board run (don't count your chickens), but at 14% reported battery, forced landing kicked in. I held the left stick up full but she came down anyway after a few seconds. I have no idea why this happened, but guess that cooler temps affected the battery performance at lower voltages??

You live and you learn. Now I have to go climb barbed wire fences in the morning to locate mi bird :)

dronemods-267.png

I say WTF just strap a truck battery to it.... It will be as clumsy as a radio controlled portaloo, but hey.... Who cares

I preheated the aircraft and put it in an insulated bag with hot water bottles. It had cooled to 27c by the start of the run, but battery temp stayed almost ideal after the turnaround. 31 seconds wasted hovering because I forgot to start my screen recorder app. About 136W on the way out struggling against the wind, and avg 92w on the way back going mostly with the wind but -5deg roll.

CSfuRRi.png

1a78710e3f90b31e61fda44acc104bdc.jpg

Insulated battery to keep temps up.

Last edited:

I was cruising back after what I thought was a leader board run (don't count your chickens), but at 14% reported battery, forced landing kicked in. I held the left stick up full but she came down anyway after a few seconds. I have no idea why this happened, but guess that cooler temps affected the battery performance at lower voltages??

You live and you learn. Now I have to go climb barbed wire fences in the morning to locate mi bird :)

View attachment 23407

Well that sucks! Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have not disabled auto landing by changing DJI battery setting to non-DJI battery type in DJI assistant 2. You should do this as it avoids going into early auto landing which severely cuts current to the motors.

Do you display the cell voltage next to percentage? If the voltage cell drops below 3.40V per cell, then critically low battery auto landing occurs, but at 16% battery level I don't think you got this. You were likely flying a bit high which results in early auto landing as it is calculated based on height. If you change battery type setting in the hidden parameters to non-DJIyou will avoid this on the future.

I stripped the Mavic down for rewiring, but on a whim I decided to try a stock battery run. Wind wasn't ideal, but went for it anyways.

@JakeMaxxUAV
27,822ft should be the new stock battery record. Platinum props on this run.

5cd6de7c9bb8ef7128cfc51d0497dc3b.jpg

1344216df224bf05e092c9cb32acb658.jpg

Yes I accidentally flew past the home point and went an extra 39m.

fdea4b2a252f7ecc4ee02d36b40a16e6.jpg

Nice record breaking run! Looks like you flew a bit faster than the normal 31 mph. Did you use sport mode or a tweaked p mode tilt angle for higher speed? Did you have extra weight of battery mod?

Nice record breaking run! Looks like you flew a bit faster than the normal 31 mph. Did you use sport mode or a tweaked p mode tilt angle for higher speed? Did you have extra weight of battery mod?
I left my settings alone and used P mode, obstacle avoidance on and off. Didn't make much difference in speed though. I think my settings in Assistant are 27 and 29 right now.

Back to stock for now and soon will be lightweight battery mod with 16ga wire and XT30s. Depending on weather I may try for 30k ft on stock battery.

dd80f40e9eb42204c3f1a5b8d3341a42.jpg

I left my settings alone and used P mode, obstacle avoidance on and off. Didn't make much difference in speed though. I think my settings in Assistant are 27 and 29 right now.

Back to stock for now and soon will be lightweight battery mod with 16ga wire and XT30s. Depending on weather I may try for 30k ft on stock battery.

dd80f40e9eb42204c3f1a5b8d3341a42.jpg

I need to replace the esc board on my modded mavic. I think I've damaged it given the poor efficiency I'm seeing now. I went a little crazy with the super sport mode and altitude runs with externals attached back in June. I've noticed that my flight time dropped about 4 minutes with my externals as compared to before. The difference is on the low end of battery, from 50% to zero. Drops very fast. It is especially apparent when comparing to new mavic. Fortunately I have a spare esc board.

View attachment 23407
I think I would of went right then while you still had some tracking. looks like maybe a 1/2 walk or 1 mile in the field. hopefully it did not land in that tree. Good Luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast