DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official verdict for me. Not buying M3 Cine.

That’s weird, I have the 2018 MacBook Pro only one year newer and it has no issues at all with the H265 5k 50 FPS video, even in Dlog, converts it to pro res pretty fast, doesn’t even get hot doing it. Are you converting the 265 to PR 422 in FCPX or another pro res codec?

I noticed yesterday my M3 drifted to the right every time I slowly hit forward, but when I spun the drone 180 degrees to try the shot from the opposite direction it didn’t, and there was no wind at all either direction. To get around it I just backed up some started the pass sooner and corrected it before I hit where I actually wanted to start from. I don’t notice much difference between my P4P and M3, both fly pretty good overall.
I believe the 2018 got upgraded processor with more cores and upgraded gpu.

I believe the 2018 got upgraded processor with more cores and upgraded gpu.
I think maybe your right? All I know for sure is it was darn expensive, but works really well with anything I’ve thrown at it so far. Worked a lot with x5s video, 4k, working the 5k M3 video seems about the same.

Ok, that's it. As a Pro I have unfortunately now eliminated the Cine as an option.

JBSonic's post in another forum "Who All Has Returned Their M3 Due to Issues?" outlines a MAJOR problem for Pros with having a single, non-removable SSD drive:

"...my Cine version doesn't connect to my PC, can't get any footage from it. Dji support couldn't solve it either. So guess it's gonna go back for a refund"
It brings to mind the old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", which DJI has, and which no Pro can ever afford to do.

Kinda glad in a way.... I just saved myself some serious money and I don't have to stress over the pros and cons of each version any more! A faulty SSD as an integral part of the aircraft makes the Cine version totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands!) and Pros can't afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now off the table, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.

Back to the outback with my M2P I guess!
So, the outback was shot on a mp2?

Reactions: christangey
Ok, that's it. As a Pro I have unfortunately now eliminated the Cine as an option.

JBSonic's post in another forum "Who All Has Returned Their M3 Due to Issues?" outlines a MAJOR problem for Pros with having a single, non-removable SSD drive:

"...my Cine version doesn't connect to my PC, can't get any footage from it. Dji support couldn't solve it either. So guess it's gonna go back for a refund"
It brings to mind the old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", which DJI has, and which no Pro can ever afford to do.

Kinda glad in a way.... I just saved myself some serious money and I don't have to stress over the pros and cons of each version any more! A faulty SSD as an integral part of the aircraft makes the Cine version totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands!) and Pros can't afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now off the table, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.

Back to the outback with my M2P I guess!

No issues connecting to a Mac. Use a proper cable and a good PC and you won't have a problem.
You can also use removable media, of course.

I've Never seen so much whining and complaining over what amounts to the price of the M3 Cine. Ridiculous!

Mavic 3 Cine... was a no, but changed to yes.
The overall possible gains... if desired or later appreciated... cost isn't relatively excessive.
Just to beat a "Dead Horse" subject in a different light after owning a M3 Cine for a while.

I'm not a Pro Cinematographer... sounds exciting! My main work encompasses IT Dir within Enterprise environments till retirement and hopefully my mini-sUAV business will be a new adventure. But I do like to keep my options open when price isn't excessive.

On a little different path of justification... to some probably ridiculous.
The main difference is the 1TB SSD and ProRes...the rest is obtainable in some fashion: RC Pro, ND Filter Pak 2, etc.
The RC Pro has a hefty price tag on it, as well as a 1TB NVMe SSD board - Fixed to M3 Board.
Subtract the cost of RC Pro and 1TB SSD... estimated at $2K+, add in a ProRes License... you're probably a bit lower than the Standard Non-Cine model.

The "killer" in multiple discussion has been the fixed 1TB SSD and the associated time to transfer Data to storage drive. Current Professional platform: The Inspire 2 is (was) a $8-10K platform with X5S & 2x TB50 Batteries... , less SSD or Cendence RC. Add 6-12 additional batteries, Cendence RC and 512GB or 1TB SSD Cards at $800-1500 each. In addition not comparable to the M3 MFT, but can also add the X7 FF with 4 lens Pak at a bump of $7K. (prices may have changed +/-). Add in SSD Readers USB3 or Thunderbolt, etc.

I have 2x Inspire 2, 4- X4S, X5S & X7 ProRes & CineDNG Licenses... great platform but aging in comparison to new technology in transmission range, signal stability, transmitted screen image, craft stability, etc.

The Inspire 2 is a larger investment, but is considered a top Pro Craft option... 1 Craft... on an Avg $15-18K (5 yrs ago, inflation not adjusted). Now jump to M3 Cine @ $5K 1TB SSD... you could own 2 M3's at $10K or 3 M3's @ 15K.
Each with a 1TB SSD, ProRes License & RC Pro radio.

You could swap the craft instead of the 1TB SSD for basically same investment as an I2 with craft redundancy.
My MacBookPro M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB SSD connected to a Samsung T7 2TB NVMe SSD and M3 Cine in USB Mode avg 440-500 mb/s... 26GB Avg/Min transfer. I'll try a Thunderbolt Storage in near future to compare transfer speeds.

In comparison, This is better transfer speed than an Inspire2 UG2 USB3 SSD Reader or the TB TG3 SSD Reader... so transfer is faster than the Removable SSD card that the M3 Cine has been compared to as a Pro "Qualifier".

As stated, I'm not a Pro Cinematographer... it'd be very cool working on a set... but not my reality!
So I have No desire to own 2-3 Mavic 3 Cine's (as least not New)... but if needed for the job, the M3 Cine isn't out of line in price as a Professional investment.... actually relatively on the low side.

This doesn't directly apply to those doing Professional work with a M2P, Air2S, etc. Applies more to those that have / had high priced professional assets, replacing with newer smaller equipment.

Why did I buy it... I wanted the ability to use ProRes, liked the RC Pro Radio (at time wasn't available separately) and like the idea of 1TB NVMe SSD speed. A small extra perk, a thought as time passed they "may" add features specifically for the CINE model and those might be nice to use. Since then I've discovered unlike the Inspire 2 SSD, the M3 can use it's SSD with Photos & regular videos. I can take JPG/Raw Stills on the SSD in a much faster transfer than the MicroSD card. I've also found my first Smart Controller (RC Pro) isn't my ideal tool... I don't like the screen below my hands, harder to glance down; I'm adding a LifThor mount and 2200 Nit 7" above eventually. I also miss the iPad Apps, so I'll get a standard RC too.. or simply use my Air2S RC.

Overall, I so dislike to later have the need and then add it on... with the Mavic 3, adding it on isn't possibly. We explored that in a previous thread. So I self-justified the extra as not really extra when all said and done... and it was saving a bit in the long run. AKA: Husband to Wife Cost Justification 101.

• Love
Reactions: RocketBrew
I am on the same page as you! (Maybe because I am also in enterprise IT?)

I was going to use the M3Cine as a backup for the regular M3, as I only occasionally shoot video for a production that requests ProRes (and none so far since getting the M3C in November!).

But after experiencing the write time difference when shooting 5-step AEB photos, then the fast upload to the PC, I have been using it as the primary for over 100 flights and 7,300 photos.

The overall possible gains... if desired or later appreciated... cost isn't relatively excessive.

Overall, I so dislike to later have the need and then add it on... with the Mavic 3, adding it on isn't possibly. We explored that in a previous thread. So I self-justified the extra as not really extra when all said and done... and it was saving a bit in the long run. AKA: Husband to Wife Cost Justification 101.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Just to beat a "Dead Horse" subject in a different light after owning a M3 Cine for a while.

I'm not a Pro Cinematographer... sounds exciting! My main work encompasses IT Dir within Enterprise environments till retirement and hopefully my mini-sUAV business will be a new adventure. But I do like to keep my options open when price isn't excessive.

On a little different path of justification... to some probably ridiculous.
The main difference is the 1TB SSD and ProRes...the rest is obtainable in some fashion: RC Pro, ND Filter Pak 2, etc.
The RC Pro has a hefty price tag on it, as well as a 1TB NVMe SSD board - Fixed to M3 Board.
Subtract the cost of RC Pro and 1TB SSD... estimated at $2K+, add in a ProRes License... you're probably a bit lower than the Standard Non-Cine model.

The "killer" in multiple discussion has been the fixed 1TB SSD and the associated time to transfer Data to storage drive. Current Professional platform: The Inspire 2 is (was) a $8-10K platform with X5S & 2x TB50 Batteries... , less SSD or Cendence RC. Add 6-12 additional batteries, Cendence RC and 512GB or 1TB SSD Cards at $800-1500 each. In addition not comparable to the M3 MFT, but can also add the X7 FF with 4 lens Pak at a bump of $7K. (prices may have changed +/-). Add in SSD Readers USB3 or Thunderbolt, etc.

I have 2x Inspire 2, 4- X4S, X5S & X7 ProRes & CineDNG Licenses... great platform but aging in comparison to new technology in transmission range, signal stability, transmitted screen image, craft stability, etc.

The Inspire 2 is a larger investment, but is considered a top Pro Craft option... 1 Craft... on an Avg $15-18K (5 yrs ago, inflation not adjusted). Now jump to M3 Cine @ $5K 1TB SSD... you could own 2 M3's at $10K or 3 M3's @ 15K.
Each with a 1TB SSD, ProRes License & RC Pro radio.

You could swap the craft instead of the 1TB SSD for basically same investment as an I2 with craft redundancy.
My MacBookPro M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB SSD connected to a Samsung T7 2TB NVMe SSD and M3 Cine in USB Mode avg 440-500 mb/s... 26GB Avg/Min transfer. I'll try a Thunderbolt Storage in near future to compare transfer speeds.

In comparison, This is better transfer speed than an Inspire2 UG2 USB3 SSD Reader or the TB TG3 SSD Reader... so transfer is faster than the Removable SSD card that the M3 Cine has been compared to as a Pro "Qualifier".

As stated, I'm not a Pro Cinematographer... it'd be very cool working on a set... but not my reality!
So I have No desire to own 2-3 Mavic 3 Cine's (as least not New)... but if needed for the job, the M3 Cine isn't out of line in price as a Professional investment.... actually relatively on the low side.

This doesn't directly apply to those doing Professional work with a M2P, Air2S, etc. Applies more to those that have / had high priced professional assets, replacing with newer smaller equipment.

Why did I buy it... I wanted the ability to use ProRes, liked the RC Pro Radio (at time wasn't available separately) and like the idea of 1TB NVMe SSD speed. A small extra perk, a thought as time passed they "may" add features specifically for the CINE model and those might be nice to use. Since then I've discovered unlike the Inspire 2 SSD, the M3 can use it's SSD with Photos & regular videos. I can take JPG/Raw Stills on the SSD in a much faster transfer than the MicroSD card. I've also found my first Smart Controller (RC Pro) isn't my ideal tool... I don't like the screen below my hands, harder to glance down; I'm adding a LifThor mount and 2200 Nit 7" above eventually. I also miss the iPad Apps, so I'll get a standard RC too.. or simply use my Air2S RC.

You probably make a very good case for this but only for professionals. I think the majority of readers are hobbyists. I have been doing amateurs photography since childhood ( I am now 83), and have studied and improved and added to my armamentarium through the years to include Digital, DSLR,timelapse, drones, Photoshop, Lightroom,Premiere Pro, etc. But the professionality of the above discussion goes way over my head. I sincerely tried to understand all of the abbreviations with only a modest success. I must really hand it to you to be able to voice the above discussion.

For me, as a recreational flyer, I would just like to take better quality images and videos and a reasonable cost to upgrade from a Mavic 2 Pro. I would not consider a cine because I would never need it professionally.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I am on the same page as you! (Maybe because I am also in enterprise IT?)

I was going to use the M3Cine as a backup for the regular M3, as I only occasionally shoot video for a production that requests ProRes (and none so far since getting the M3C in November!).

But after experiencing the write time difference when shooting 5-step AEB photos, then the fast upload to the PC, I have been using it as the primary for over 100 flights and 7,300 photos.
That is a sweet advantage... the on-board SSD is extremely fast for stills. I've been shooting several 360 Panos or 180 Pano... the time it takes to write all compared to selecting the MicroSD is beneficial vs hovering in air waiting. The time to write, open & quick view, reshoot different altitude, review... adds up quickly SSD vs MicroSD.

Being we’re both from the professional IT world... moving huge sets of arrays from 10K HD's to SSD, then later NVMe is HUGE... feels similar on the M3.

The speed of non-ProRes 4K is also much faster... including the offloading to storage!

We have to justify our 'Big Boy" toys/tools... I'll find a path somehow and keep the Wife peace! ;)

Last edited:
You probably make a very good case for this but only for professionals. I think the majority of readers are hobbyists. I have been doing amateurs photography since childhood ( I am now 83), and have studied and improved and added to my armamentarium through the years to include Digital, DSLR,timelapse, drones, Photoshop, Lightroom,Premiere Pro, etc. But the professionality of the above discussion goes way over my head. I sincerely tried to understand all of the abbreviations with only a modest success. I must really hand it to you to be able to voice the above discussion.

For me, as a recreational flyer, I would just like to take better quality images and videos and a reasonable cost to upgrade from a Mavic 2 Pro. I would not consider a cine because I would never need it professionally.

Dale
Miami
I'm a few clicks behind ya in years but understand totally your expressions! I still have a B&W Enlarger & trays somewhere in basement... that was a fun time! Transitioning to color in darkroom was exciting... then the digital sensors that I avoided for years. I'm not a Pro Photographer, but I do like nice tools and only excuse is my limitations of skill or eye!

If you're looking for some new SW tools... give On1 Photo Raw and Luminar Ai a shot... you'll be impressed and find more excitement at a much shorter time than Photoshop at times.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21