DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official verdict for me. Not buying M3 Cine.

Wow, what an amazing video. I dream of creating content like that.
You'll be fine just try to plan (and even rehearse) your shots and try a little harder each time, not a LOT harder as you'll just keep crashing into trees and power lines 😉

Here's a contrarian perspective. I'm a "pro". I bought two. Two mitigates the downloading bottleneck (not that I expect to be overly compromised by it anyway). I make a point to buy at least two of everything to maintain continuity in case one stops working.

The M3C fits a nice little niche. It flies way better than the Inspire 2 and can be used to get those tighter shots where the Inspire creates parallax issues. But even with that I don't think it will fly on set much if at all. The only case I can think of is as a "crash" drone (i.e. a situation where you operate it at high risk expecting that it might not survive). I know some people would think that is crazy but it's the same idea that a $6,000 RED camera is also considered a "crash" camera.

The M3C will be used to capture stock footage where RAW is not necessary. As I see it, the ProRes capability and M43 sensor pushes it over the image quality threshold for film and TV production licensing. In that respect, it is a game changer over the M2P. So much easier to fly vs. the Inspire.

Reactions: christangey
Seems Mavic 3 has faltered right out of the gate.

It makes me think that they will release another drone in the coming year in order to wipe the reputation slate clean.

Probably a very incremental upgrade, but one that fixes some problems and is released more fully featured.

Here's a contrarian perspective. I'm a "pro". I bought two. Two mitigates the downloading bottleneck (not that I expect to be overly compromised by it anyway). I make a point to buy at least two of everything to maintain continuity in case one stops working.

The M3C fits a nice little niche. It flies way better than the Inspire 2 and can be used to get those tighter shots where the Inspire creates parallax issues. But even with that I don't think it will fly on set much if at all. The only case I can think of is as a "crash" drone (i.e. a situation where you operate it at high risk expecting that it might not survive). I know some people would think that is crazy but it's the same idea that a $6,000 RED camera is also considered a "crash" camera.

The M3C will be used to capture stock footage where RAW is not necessary. As I see it, the ProRes capability and M43 sensor pushes it over the image quality threshold for film and TV production licensing. In that respect, it is a game changer over the M2P. So much easier to fly vs. the Inspire.
Interesting Ian, I agree having two new ones is a great thing but not all of us can afford that out of the box. My intention though would be to buy one and use the M2P as the crash drone, as I currently use the M1 now (not that the images compare at all!) which is better than nothing. I think you'll find not everybody is as hung up on specs as they used to be, especially the notorious BBC. I have shot all my M2P footage in HLG H265 (HDR) and have licensed it everywhere after typically converting it with a nice grade to ProresHQ from the master, but giving the client the master as well. I have also shot for big productions like the Batchelor (US), a Universal Pictures feature doc and BBC "blue chip" nature series. While M2P footage is not preferable, if tweaked to the "nth" degree on the shoot end it can be accepted. Have you really given the M3 a proper run though with the Fly app? Or do you just mainly consider both as spares?

Last edited:
Oh no doubt. If a unique shot already exists, productions will license it no matter what it was shot on. I once sold 10 shots from a GoPro Hero 4 Black to the movie The Nice Guys. But I mostly do stuff for Netflix and HBO that is "Shoot To License" where we go over image quality and spec before I shoot anything they may want. M3C is the lowest I can get away with there and I expect at least 1/3 of the time that won't cut it either.

I'm still getting familiar with the M3C but the image quality is there in the ProRes format and that means it is a viable camera for me despite all the headaches of the app and whatnot. The flight capability alone means I can get a different style of shot to round out my library.

As for the issues, with DJI I have learned to never expect a product that is done the way it should be. It is always a great product made good by virtue of the warts they never bothered to fix. And they always release product half-done and then they fix most of the glaring issues in a big update. The issues that remain after that are more likely to never be fixed.

As for what I consider spares, they are only of the same type. I have dozens of drones of all shapes and sizes that are used for different things. From heavy-lift to cinewhoops. Always two or more of each. But more importantly, each has its own purpose/use.

Oh no doubt. If a unique shot already exists, productions will license it no matter what it was shot on. I once sold 10 shots from a GoPro Hero 4 Black to the movie The Nice Guys. But I mostly do stuff for Netflix and HBO that is "Shoot To License" where we go over image quality and spec before I shoot anything they may want. M3C is the lowest I can get away with there and I expect at least 1/3 of the time that won't cut it either.

I'm still getting familiar with the M3C but the image quality is there in the ProRes format and that means it is a viable camera for me despite all the headaches of the app and whatnot. The flight capability alone means I can get a different style of shot to round out my library.

As for the issues, with DJI I have learned to never expect a product that is done the way it should be. It is always a great product made good by virtue of the warts they never bothered to fix. And they always release product half-done and then they fix most of the glaring issues in a big update. The issues that remain after that are more likely to never be fixed.

As for what I consider spares, they are only of the same type. I have dozens of drones of all shapes and sizes that are used for different things. From heavy-lift to cinewhoops. Always two or more of each. But more importantly, each has its own purpose/use.
Yes exactly, the right tools in the tool box. A bit different for me as I'm also a cinematographer (on ground!) photographer, location scout and manager as you have to wear many industry "hats" to survive in one of the most isolated towns in the world. Meaning I can't afford to spend a fortune in every area, just what I can.

Reactions: ianwood
Great video, love the scenes following animals. Don't tell the people over in this thread, but I just got my first video flying in formation with geese. It's amazing seeing them up close.
Yes I just use common sense, some individual emus run like hell and others I've been literally flying amongst them from feet away as they slowly peck the ground. That includes chicks! I have many runs where I fly through waterbirds and there are far more coming towards me than (seemingly) flying away. Then you get the people who are worried about you running into them. If they're not running into each other they sure ain't going to be running into me! Apart from anything else I keep my wildlife interactions short and sharp, by planning the shot I'm hoping for, if I don't get it there's always next time.

Ok, that's it. As a Pro I have unfortunately now eliminated the Cine as an option.

JBSonic's post in another forum "Who All Has Returned Their M3 Due to Issues?" outlines a MAJOR problem for Pros with having a single, non-removable SSD drive:

"...my Cine version doesn't connect to my PC, can't get any footage from it. Dji support couldn't solve it either. So guess it's gonna go back for a refund"
It brings to mind the old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", which DJI has, and which no Pro can ever afford to do.

Kinda glad in a way.... I just saved myself some serious money and I don't have to stress over the pros and cons of each version any more! A faulty SSD as an integral part of the aircraft makes the Cine version totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands!) and Pros can't afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now off the table, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.

Back to the outback with my M2P I guess!
The I2 is only slightly more, why not use it? Or use your laptop to empty the drive in the field. Can’t take that long to empty and SSD TB onto another SSD drive using a high end laptop. All this stuff is expensive as you know and other pros can make it happen on location using portable equipment. A MacBook Pro and a 5TB SSD will fit in the same back pack as the drone, and still have room for 3 lunches.

The very fact your having trouble transferring files tells me your PC isn’t up to date. You really should be using a Mac, all DJI equipment is optimized for it. It’s expensive though. But I have yet to see transfer issues from an I2 or M3 onto a newer Mac.

Can’t take that long to empty and SSD TB onto another SSD drive using a high end laptop. ...
The very fact your having trouble transferring files tells me your PC isn’t up to date.
Are you sure about that?
ProRes HQ files are huge and the M3 cine won't give you any ProRes options except HQ.
Watch this to get an idea how long it actually takes to download the ProRes files from the M3:
If you go back a little earlier in the video he explains how big the files are.
You really should be using a Mac, all DJI equipment is optimized for it.
Despite the number of times you might hear that, DJI equipment is no more optimised for Apple equipment than it is for Android.

Are you sure about that?
ProRes HQ files are huge and the M3 cine won't give you any ProRes options except HQ.
Watch this to get an idea how long it actually takes to download the ProRes files from the M3:

Despite the number of times you might hear that, DJI equipment is no more optimised for Apple equipment than it is for Android.
Hard to say who he was talking to so I didn't respond, plus he clearly hasn't read through this thread nor seen the Philip Bloom video you've posted.

I appreciate all the views from both side of the fence here (specially as most everyone seems to be polite and openminded on this forum)
I'm still going back and forth wether to buy one or not. I'm also mainly a cinematoghrapher, but have my been flying drones for work since the the first Phantom.

I just wan to to comment on buying new gear right away. Ideally one will wait and see how a product pans out, but at times its really beneficial to be an early adopter. You might not be able to get the said equipment for a long time if you don't jump in right away.
Productions might be very keen on using the latest gear they've heard and read about.
I've had good and bad luck when buying cameras. Some I had to sell (with a loss) soon after I got them. Others still make me money after 7 years.

So don't be to quick to judge people for jumping on new gear right away, (and for those who do, don't be surprised when they don't function as expected)

I appreciate all the views from both side of the fence here (specially as most everyone seems to be polite and openminded on this forum)
I'm still going back and forth wether to buy one or not. I'm also mainly a cinematoghrapher, but have my been flying drones for work since the the first Phantom.

I just wan to to comment on buying new gear right away. Ideally one will wait and see how a product pans out, but at times its really beneficial to be an early adopter. You might not be able to get the said equipment for a long time if you don't jump in right away.
Productions might be very keen on using the latest gear they've heard and read about.
I've had good and bad luck when buying cameras. Some I had to sell (with a loss) soon after I got them. Others still make me money after 7 years.

So don't be to quick to judge people for jumping on new gear right away, (and for those who do, don't be surprised when they don't function as expected)
Yes some good points there, well made. I think for me personally the difference with the M3 is that there an unusual number of things that can't be fixed as a firmware update alone as they relate as well to both hardware and design choices by DJI.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Yes some good points there, well made. I think for me personally the difference with the M3 is that there an unusual number of things that can't be fixed as a firmware update alone as they relate as well to both hardware and design choices by DJI.
I agree with you there. It was the same with their update to the Action Cam. Suddenly it’s useless (internal battery AND storage) without different accessories attached, and when you attach accessories it’s no longer waterproof.

I agree with you there. It was the same with their update to the Action Cam. Suddenly it’s useless (internal battery AND storage) without different accessories attached, and when you attach accessories it’s no longer waterproof.
Hmmmm....ok, sounds like I have some catching up to do on that one😎, I bought one a couple of weeks back!

Hmmmm....ok, sounds like I have some catching up to do on that one😎, I bought one a couple of weeks back!
At least its quite cheap:). I shoot a tv show where I use 3-4 action cams/Gopro and was looking foreward to the upgrade, but it was a step back for my needs unfortunately. The main unit can only record for about 12 min in 4K, and I often need a waterproof camera on this production.
Internal storage (on both drones and action cams) is a great addition to removable storage, but its a problem when its the only solutions as in the M3 Cine (prores)

Are you sure about that?

I’m going to go with what I know and see on this forum, no one with a Mac has complained about being unable to transfer files or it being incredibly slow. I have a MacBook Pro with two quality external SSD, it shouldn’t take a huge amount of time to move 1TB from one good SSD to another. I have seen several posts from PC users that are having trouble, zero from Mac users.

Based what what this fella in the video is saying it should take 50 minutes to unload 3 batteries worth of HQ. Or about 15 to unload one battery worth. Depending on weather DJI advises us to let the motors cool between flights, that’s a good time to spend 15 min transferring the media from the battery you just spent.

Personally at no time have I flown a drone at one location constantly for 1.5 hours. I did burn through 5 sets of I2 batteries at one location last summer, but I had a few breaks between flights. If you need to fly constantly on a set for hours chances are your making enough cash to just buy a second M3, and if the production calls for such a thing they probably want the I2 to begin with.

Ok, that's it. As a Pro I have unfortunately now eliminated the Cine as an option.

JBSonic's post in another forum "Who All Has Returned Their M3 Due to Issues?" outlines a MAJOR problem for Pros with having a single, non-removable SSD drive:

"...my Cine version doesn't connect to my PC, can't get any footage from it. Dji support couldn't solve it either. So guess it's gonna go back for a refund"
It brings to mind the old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", which DJI has, and which no Pro can ever afford to do.

Kinda glad in a way.... I just saved myself some serious money and I don't have to stress over the pros and cons of each version any more! A faulty SSD as an integral part of the aircraft makes the Cine version totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands!) and Pros can't afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now off the table, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.

Back to the outback with my M2P I guess!
Another lame post.

Use a micro SD and your “problem” is solved!

I have NO issue connecting my Cine to my Mac and downloading from the internal drive. Use the supplied cable and plug it in directly, not through a hub

Another lame post.

I have NO issue connecting my Cine to my Mac and downloading from the internal drive. Use the supplied cable and plug it in directly, not through a hub
I’ve yet to hear anyone complaining about downloading the Cine onto a Mac. All the complaining is coming from PC users. At the end of the day you get what you paid for, my MacBook Pro was $4k and I’ve never had a single problem with it when working with any DJI equipment or any equipment for that matter. Don’t even need the Dji assistant installed to download from the M3. Guys buy expensive gaming laptops and PCs then try and use them for editing video, they aren’t specked for editing video they are not ideal for it. Macs are not great for playing games, not meant for that, they are a creating platform.

This guy needs to have a MacBook to use in the professional field, spend a few minutes transferring video to external SSD after each flight while motors cool and the next flight is planned. If the job calls for 90 minutes consecutive flying with only battery changing breaks that sounds highly demanding and I can’t see how the production wouldn’t just want the I2? And it’s all about pricing a job as well, and making the client aware of the limitations of the M3 should they demand the pro res. If video transferring time won’t be available after 90 min then you tell them a second M3 will be needed so the pricing goes up substantially. Make the client aware of this drones limits and you won’t have any issues.

Another lame post.

There a certain people accusing others of posting "lame" yet they hardly know the tiniest bit of a professional production it seems. I mean, please at least be so decent and read through the thread and stop insulting people in general, especially when they showed their acclaimed work here.

For the SD card: don't be lame, make your homework and start reading, that recording ProRes is not possible on the SD card. Only on the internal SSD. There's not even an option for shadow-copying later on or so ...

The transfer speeds vary but are likely to go down to something 200 - 250 Mbyte/s (or even lower) ... a full internal SSD would at least require 1 h 20 mins at that speed. And it certainly has nothing to do with @canadian drone videos "this guy needs to have a MacBook to use in the professional field". It has to do with the connections. Latest TB3, TB4 or other USB 3.x transmitting speeds and (NVMe) SSD hardware is certainly part of everyday's PCs and laptops too. So why it's not transmitting faster or throttling from the drone ... no one knows by now. Interfaces could do more throughput. And Philip Bloom is showing the transfer on a Mac, so I guess, he knows, what he's talking about.😄

And as said, it's not just a few minutes, it can be quite long especially with the change of loading batteries etc. The usual way is shooting, shooting, shooting and offload or hand over your material at the end. Or offload it while changing batteries by inserting a new SD ... but exactly that flexible handling is not possible anymore with ProRes without investing 15 mins+.

That might not be a problem to you or others (it's not even for me) but COMPARED to today's standards, that is a sub par condition. DJI claims, that a removable media would take to much weight and reduce flight time, but yet, having the option would still be a great thing.

Well, I guess it is, or is not. But don't label it "for the pros" and keep talking they are doing it wrong.
They know their stuff and how the workflow is supposed to be.😉

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143