DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok, few flights under my belt and not liking using my I phone, what to go with?

AClineman

Reactions
Would like an Apple type format (not Android) and don’t think I need a big screen like 12”

What works good and would be the best bang for my buck. Someone told me check out an 8” Samsung galaxy?

The wife has a kindle fire but I couldn’t get the DJI go 4 app to load.

Thanks

Oh my current phone that I’m using is the I 7s

My personal experience is that I bought an iPad Mini 4 exclusively for my MPP and P4P. It's the perfect size, and with a sun shade is plenty bright, however, shortly after I got it, the next FW update for the DJI GO 4 app, the Mini 4 does not have enough CPU to run the latest DJI FW. I'm currently using an iPhome X for my MPP, and an iPad 10.5" Pro for my P4P, with no issues. The iPhone X is brighter than the Mini 4, and with a Hoodman sun shade, the 10.5" iPad Pro gives me a great view, and no lack of CPU power.

My personal experience is that I bought an iPad Mini 4 exclusively for my MPP and P4P. It's the perfect size, and with a sun shade is plenty bright, however, shortly after I got it, the next FW update for the DJI GO 4 app, the Mini 4 does not have enough CPU to run the latest DJI FW. I'm currently using an iPhome X for my MPP, and an iPad 10.5" Pro for my P4P, with no issues. The iPhone X is brighter than the Mini 4, and with a Hoodman sun shade, the 10.5" iPad Pro gives me a great view, and no lack of CPU power.
That's what I use now (iPad pro) I only suggested the mini because of the size the concern was size. I myself use litchi

Reactions: Ripper7620
I've tried out several phones, tablets, dji goggles and the bt-300s. After going through many devices trying to find one that worked well and was bright enough to see, I settled on the crystalsky. If I knew what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of money and went straight for the crystalsky. You dont have to worry about shades or holding it at the right angle to see it or trying to block the sun. You just use it wherever you are and you can see it very well. My confidence to fly between small spaces and right over the tops of trees has grown a lot. It's pretty amazing when you can actually see what you are doing and see it very well.

I've tried out several phones, tablets, dji goggles and the bt-300s. After going through many devices trying to find one that worked well and was bright enough to see, I settled on the crystalsky. If I knew what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of money and went straight for the crystalsky. You dont have to worry about shades or holding it at the right angle to see it or trying to block the sun. You just use it wherever you are and you can see it very well. My confidence to fly between small spaces and right over the tops of trees has grown a lot. It's pretty amazing when you can actually see what you are doing and see it very well.
For me the issue of whether or not to go with the Crystal Sky comes down to whether or not I can justify the price of a dedicated monitor for flying that can only do one thing(to the best of my knowledge), and I do enough flying that I believe that the expense for a superior monitoring and flying experience can be justified, even though I'm not flying for money at this point in time. I plan to get the 7.85" Ultra_Bright Monitor because it's worth an extra $999 to get that experience to me. I fly every single day, and ,most days make 2-3 trips out to fly. Because Crystal Sky is a DJI product, I believe that they'll continue to make it better with FW updates. My only reservation is that it uses Android, if I'm not mistaken, and my experience with Android products has not been particularily good.

For me the issue of whether or not to go with the Crystal Sky comes down to whether or not I can justify the price of a dedicated monitor for flying that can only do one thing(to the best of my knowledge), and I do enough flying that I believe that the expense for a superior monitoring and flying experience can be justified, even though I'm not flying for money at this point in time. I plan to get the 7.85" Ultra_Bright Monitor because it's worth an extra $999 to get that experience to me. I fly every single day, and ,most days make 2-3 trips out to fly. Because Crystal Sky is a DJI product, I believe that they'll continue to make it better with FW updates. My only reservation is that it uses Android, if I'm not mistaken, and my experience with Android products has not been particularily good.
I agree that it's totally worth it. Even if you buy one of the cheaper 1000 nit units, it's still brighter than most phones or any tablets

That's what I use now (iPad pro) I only suggested the mini because of the size the concern was size. I myself use litchi
Despite my personal experience with the iPad Mini 4, some people are reporting no issues using the iPad Mini 4 with the current DJI GO 4 FW, and although I don't understand it, I'm willing to take their word for it.

To the OP, jump over to the Crystalsky forum before going that route. The posts over there completely changed my mind about getting one of those for awhile. DJI needs to sort out the Android issues with it before I’ll consider it.

Uhhh no.

Im om the latest fw/go app and its fine.

Reactions: Timbo~SYD
:cool:
To the OP, jump over to the Crystalsky forum before going that route. The posts over there completely changed my mind about getting one of those for awhile. DJI needs to sort out the Android issues with it before I’ll consider it.
Thanks. Yeah I’m not paying $600 for a glorified viewing screen. I’m not flying commercially or racing, just looking for something a little bigger then my cell phone for these 52 year old eyes with a cataract & glaucoma :cool:

Reactions: hacks909
My I pad from work will support the DJI app and I may try it. It’s about 10” so I need to find a suitable mount.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah I’m not paying $600 for a glorified viewing screen. I’m not flying commercially or racing, just looking for something a little bigger then my cell phone for these 52 year old eyes with a cataract & glaucoma

I am an Android person but after doing a lot of reading it seemed the IOS platforms is more reliable/stable. I had a hand-me-down original iPad Air. NO problems but decided to upgrade to iPad Air 2 cellular (from EBay) to have maps. It failed in short order, returned it. Decided to get iPad Pro cellular 10.5 for brighter screen and faster processor. I got a sun screen and no problems.

IMHO a 9.7 AND a sunshade combination is hard to beat

Last edited:
Reactions: Timbo~SYD
I have the CS Ultra...works perfectly, and the ability to take the SD card from the drone, play back the video in the CS while out on a shoot, and edit in DJI Skypixel app is extraordinary; particularly while traveling. Finally, the CS as a monitor for playback is brilliant. I have a good computer but the CS as a monitor for playback makes my computer screen look pathetic.
Another excellent advantage is to buy the CS Mavmount tripod adapter ($29), and mount the CS on a tripod raised up to eye level. This is a neck saver. It takes the weight of the CS off of the remote controller. I find doing so, makes people think you are some kind of professional, and not using the drone for conspicuous purposes.
The only downside to the CS Ultra is that it requires either a separate case, or using a case large enough to house both the MPP, and the CS. I really like the MP bag, so I use a separate case for the CS.
I have tried using multiple tablets, and phones, and with the exception of the iphone 6 none of them worked as well as promised. The iphone 6 works very well, but the screen is small and the brightness is just not there, so you can struggle judging height above and distance from objects you are filming. The plus of iphone models is only 17% larger than the 'regular' iphone screen.
The issue with tablets for me, is the awkwardness of reaching for the RC sticks. You can adapt as I did, but with the CS mounted on a tripod the RC is light weight and and all buttons, and knobs are convenient.
Finally, sun hoods suck...period. They do not work well, and they are just another piece of gear to set up.The issue is the back wall is at a 90 degree angle from the monitor. You can custom make one at an angle of 30 degrees, which will completely eliminate the glare, but forces you into viewing angle that is less than natural.
To me, the fact that the CS monitor is a dedicated device is an advantage, and not a disadvantage. With the CS, there are no apps to force shut to prevent battery drain, etc...
Also, the CS battery life is far greater than any other device...period.
You can use any device during the golden hour, but at noon you need brightness. You can find, or create shade to overcome that. If that shade is under a tree, or by a building you have to be considerate of interference. Surprisingly, operating from inside my car works well, and no brightness, or glare issue. Plus, you can use the car heater, and air conditioner.
At noon, I prefer the DJI goggles...never a sun issue, and the experience is remarkable. I am certain I am facing a particular direction only to discover, nope, 180 from that direction...mind boggling. The ultimate in virtual reality.
Flying drones will suck the cash right out of you.

Last edited:
What works good and would be the best bang for my buck
I bought this Chinese S8 clone (Meiigoo S8) for my MP, after my Samsung got stolen. I didn't expect much of it because is was cheap. But it has a very bright 6.1" FHD+(2160*1080p)display, 4GB Octa core and 64GB memory (good for caching). It runs the standard Android 7.1, no proprietary programming inside.
To my surprise it turned out to be a great device, really great screen, and it works flawless with DJI GO4. Never had any issues. I also have an iPad Mini2 that's still working fine but the screen was never really bright enough and it's definitely a bit slower due to processor and only 16GB.
I got it at Banggood. You can find it now at Geekbuying.com (bear with me, I don't know them, not sure if they are ok).
Meiigoo S8 6.1 Inch Smartphone 18:9 FHD+ Screen 4GB 64GB MTK6750T Octa Core 13.0MP + 5.0MP Dual Rear Camera Android 7.0 Touch ID OTG - Black

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS