DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok, Lets end it all right now.

That’s a fundamental issue with the amazing Android OS, nothing to do with DJI catering for iOS.
It’s not that they’re catering to them per se.
It’s that iOS is much more consistent because there’s one and only one version.
Well there’s other versions for the most part iOS devices stay current and Apple does not mess with the APIs. With android your dependent on the manufacturer or carrier to get updates.

With android your faced with many versions and many variations due to OEM customization.
I have an iPad mini for when I need to run Certain third-party apps that are not supported on android.
But I mostly fly with my smart controller. Mainly because it’s just easier. It’s all in one no attaching to the RC no brackets just grab and go.

And unfortunately smart controller has an old version and updates are at the mercy of DJI

I use the iPad Mini 4 with cell coverage. Work fine. Also, use my older iPad Air 2 (WiFi only) and my iPhone too. All work well, but the iPad Air 2 is heavy. My personal choice when working on paying jobs is the Mini.

All the discussion about which display to use. Phone, Tablet, doesn't matter. What is the best device to use with the DJI Fly app.

I just switched from a iPhone to a iPad Mini and love it with my MA and MA2.
It’s in my opinion the perfect size!

Reactions: gb160
I say you strap a drone to each foot and fly yourself no need for a screen ,its all preferences ,the discussion reminds me of a switching roms forum for phone same phone but 6 Roms and people would argue about that its great to have the tech dji makes it affordable to many groups love my 65

Attachments

• 20200502_134848.jpg
    20200502_134848.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 11
iPad mini 5. Unless I’m taking it hiking then don’t want to lug the mini and MavMount so use my iPhone 11 Pro Max

All the discussion about which display to use. Phone, Tablet, doesn't matter. What is the best device to use with the DJI Fly app.
60" flat screen TV.

• Haha
I bought my M2P with the Smart Controller.....never based my purchase on future functionality but rather on the dedicated RC and screen brightness. Never have regretted my decision.

What does the DJI Smart Controller run ?
Ohh yes it’s Android isn't it ;)
Well since Android is open source and iOS isn't that's not surprising.

In addition isn't the Smart Controller running Nougat which is Android version 7 from 2016? Ohh yes, yes it is. This is one of the biggest reasons I didn't buy the Smart Controller, it looks like DJI may be leaving it behind. Not to mention I'm not even sure the processor in it will be able to handle the Fly app.

Just for prospective, the current Android version is Android 10 with 11 right around the corner.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Too many variables. Do you wear glasses? Maybe borderline vision issues? Are you highly mobile or stationary? Is your preference below the controls, in front of the controls, or ?? Budget affects preference for some, as many have limited resources. Then there's the technical expertise. Some find the app and it's many adjustments daunting, others love the flexibility.

Maybe their existing phone / tablet is performing poorly due to settings in the app or the device. Some are great at troubleshooting, others are terrible. And without knowing the experience, issues and preferences of the commentors, your and my perspective as to the why's are limited. Not to mention, and I know this is super uncommon... but some people exaggerate, mislead, or make stuff up when posting online.

Reactions: WolfSpring
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661