DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok, Lets end it all right now.

I would guess this is the right thread for this question. I'm an android person and generally use my s10 for all/any drone. However, I'm so tired of the constant drain that the android puts on the rc battery. Im looking at getting a mini 4 or 5 for this reason. Question is: I would like to retain GPS functionality without tethering my phone. If I get a 4 or 5 mini with cellular...do I need to have a carrier plan for it to have GPS work??

I would guess this is the right thread for this question. I'm an android person and generally use my s10 for all/any drone. However, I'm so tired of the constant drain that the android puts on the rc battery. Im looking at getting a mini 4 or 5 for this reason. Question is: I would like to retain GPS functionality without tethering my phone. If I get a 4 or 5 mini with cellular...do I need to have a carrier plan for it to have GPS work??
GPS will work without a data plan but you might need to load the map location you plan on flying at prior to leaving your WiFi connection. Someone else might be able to give you a better answer as I have a $10 monthly data plan on mine but I just took the SIM out, rebooted and GPS locked on my location.

I would say get the 5 over the 4 (if you can) since it has a much better processor. Some people have reported processor max load (or something like that) with the 4.

Thank you for the response and insight. What i was trying to avoid was having to preload maps or tether my phone(which some say doesn't work for GPS only version anyway).. I just did some quick Google searching(saw same as you, MA2 prefers the 5) and it seems that if you pony up the extra $130!! For the wifi + cellular, you can just throw in a sim card ($5, or free) no data plan at all..and that will activate the GPS on the mini....can anyone confirm this? I'd rather not toss $530..ha!

Thank you for the response and insight. What i was trying to avoid was having to preload maps or tether my phone(which some say doesn't work for GPS only version anyway).. I just did some quick Google searching(saw same as you, MA2 prefers the 5) and it seems that if you pony up the extra $130!! For the wifi + cellular, you can just throw in a sim card ($5, or free) no data plan at all..and that will activate the GPS on the mini....can anyone confirm this? I'd rather not toss $530..ha!
It's not mine but there is a unlocked mint, Gray, 64gb for $389 on Swappa right now.

GPS will work without a data plan but you might need to load the map location you plan on flying at prior to leaving your WiFi connection. Someone else might be able to give you a better answer as I have a $10 monthly data plan on mine but I just took the SIM out, rebooted and GPS locked on my location.

I would say get the 5 over the 4 (if you can) since it has a much better processor. Some people have reported processor max load (or something like that) with the 4.

For my Mavic Mini I have an iPad Mini 4 with cell. It works well. You don't need a data plan as the GPS is active without it so the direction indicator and FMD work fine. At the flight location, I do hotspot it to my phone and then pull the map. I then close the hotspot and go fly. For a time, when running the Fly app and then connecting to the hotspot I would get the processor overload warning. I continued to download the map, shut off the hotspot and close the warning - if it was still there. After that, it never returned during the flights and I could detect no problems. BUT since the last update, I have had the warning pop up. Maybe something changed.

Although the Mini 4 works well with the drone I have to say I just hate the tablet. This is the first Apple product I have owned and am just shocked at how complex they have made things in the name of keeping it simple or different. It's like a bicycle with training wheels that can't be removed. May help at first but ends up being a pain once you learn to ride.

OK - There's my rant.......

Last edited:
Gentleman, I am an Android person user, and just fly a Mavic Mini, but decide to buy the ipad mini 5 even though don't like apple products, just because i can get almost 4 housra of controler use, instead with my Note Plus (android) much less due to the fact that android gets battery charged from the controler want or not. I do get GPS with the Mini ! pad in fact i do like very much the Mini Ipad but just to use with DJI mavic mini controler

Well since Android is open source and iOS isn't that's not surprising.

In addition isn't the Smart Controller running Nougat which is Android version 7 from 2016? Ohh yes, yes it is. This is one of the biggest reasons I didn't buy the Smart Controller, it looks like DJI may be leaving it behind. Not to mention I'm not even sure the processor in it will be able to handle the Fly app.

Just for prospective, the current Android version is Android 10 with 11 right around the corner.
Yeah that was a pretty daft point to bring up lol.

Reactions: bp328i
I'm an Android guy but I bought a mini5 specifically for my M2P. I also use a MavMount, which works awesome and makes it a lot easier than trying to wedge the entire tablet into the controller!

One question for others flying with a mini5: I've got a Zagg screen protector on it and I think it might be causing increased glare. Any thoughts?
(Image on the iPad is a screenshot)

Attachments

• 20200320_103124.jpg
    20200320_103124.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200320_102930.jpg
    20200320_102930.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 18
I'm an Android guy but I bought a mini5 specifically for my M2P. I also use a MavMount, which works awesome and makes it a lot easier than trying to wedge the entire tablet into the controller!

One question for others flying with a mini5: I've got a Zagg screen protector on it and I think it might be causing increased glare. Any thoughts?
(Image on the iPad is a screenshot)
I tried a few different ones and they did increase the glare. I ended up sticking with iCarez anti-glare on mine and it really helps. They're not glass so basically they help with glare and scratches. You can see the difference between the iPad mini 5 and the iPad Air 3.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: LeeHene
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members