DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ok to remove protective film from top of gimbal?

motopokep

Reactions
was wondering if it was ok to remove that little protective clear film with a small round tab from top of gimbal/camera? You know how when you buy a new phone or tablet or laptop, it's got same kind of protective peel off film on many components? Or does it actually have a function of some sort?

Reactions: Bjosifko
was wondering if it was ok to remove that little protective clear film with a small round tab from top of gimbal/camera?
Yes. I removed all of the stickers on my Mavic.

Dont remove it. It protects the gimbal motor yaw cover from getting scratched by the top bracket L hook during the upwards movement of the gimbal. If you take it off, the yaw arm wont move as smoothly and the cover will get scratched. I've seen enough of them to know, That doesnt mean that if a persons gimbal doesnt have it, they should put one on. But dont take it off if it's there already. I know the little yellow tab just screams "Pull me."

Yeah, I removed it on both my Mavics, and can't see any reason to leave it there. That thread had people with clicking stickers, gimbals getting stuck because of the tab etc.
Even the DJI forums are filled with varying opinions. Hilarious. The tab screams PULL ME OFF! So I did. :D

Now if they could tie the gimbal resets to that do-hicky, then that'd be something. :) I left it on mine, just because I couldn't get a definitive answer and then forgot about it. 90 flights, just now had to look and see if it was still there. Yep, seems ok. But yeah, flip of the coin.

was wondering if it was ok to remove that little protective clear film with a small round tab from top of gimbal/camera? You know how when you buy a new phone or tablet or laptop, it's got same kind of protective peel off film on many components? Or does it actually have a function of some sort?

In all the "umboxings" that I watched no one removed it, so I haven't either, despite being very tempted.

Can someone make a closeup photo from the sticker in question? I have a new Mavic and can't see any protective film on the gimbal?

Can someone make a closeup photo from the sticker in question? I have a new Mavic and can't see any protective film on the gimbal?

I believe the scratching comes from rapid descent or braking combined with gimbal/aircraft yaw or pitch during the descent. That will force the gimbal motor cover up into the L bracket and if you yaw or pitch the gimbal while rapidly descending it will cause the gimbal yaw motor cover to make contact with the L hook and scratch the cover.

Under normal flying conditions in non sport mode, and during gimbal autocalibration, the top of the gimbal yaw motor cover will never strike the L hook.

This is the plastic protective cover on a brand new gimbal.

214387f6fbd765efeeb4f7a07ef4bfdd.jpg

This is the scratched yaw motor cover due to worn plastic protective cover after 50 flights, mostly in sport mode. After the L hook peels away the plastic it will start scratching your motor cover.

48d90f6b40d6a159d2ee1e373ab11275.jpg

Last edited:
There is no way on earth that poor piece of plastic film WITH the removal tab conveniently located is supposed to stay there! It would be a better material, it would not have a REMOVAL tab and probably have a “do not remove” on it.
It cannot in any way be a scratch protector - it is way softer than the plastic it is on as you can see in one of the pics above, where the film is shredded but there are NO scratches on the exposed surface of the gimbal. Leave it if you want but as others have found it will eventually lift and catch anyway.
IMHO

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
I believe the scratching comes from rapid descent or braking combined with gimbal/aircraft yaw or pitch during the descent. That will force the gimbal motor cover up into the L bracket and if you yaw or pitch the gimbal while rapidly descending it will cause the gimbal yaw motor cover to make contact with the L hook and scratch the cover.

Under normal flying conditions in non sport mode, and during gimbal autocalibration, the top of the gimbal yaw motor cover will never strike the L hook.

This is the plastic protective cover on a brand new gimbal.

214387f6fbd765efeeb4f7a07ef4bfdd.jpg

This is the scratched yaw motor cover due to worn plastic protective cover after 50 flights, mostly in sport mode. After the L hook peels away the plastic it will start scratching your motor cover.

48d90f6b40d6a159d2ee1e373ab11275.jpg

Thank you.

It cannot in any way be a scratch protector
Right on. The fact that the gimbal makes contact for some people is certainly some type of design flaw.

Right on. The fact that the gimbal makes contact for some people is certainly some type of design flaw.

Its not a design flaw if the drone is not being used for what it is intended to be used for. It is not meant to pull 2 or 3 g's. It is not meant to snap yaw, brake from full speed to zero instantly, and descend rapidly while yawing and pitching the gimbal. That's abusing the drone and will cause more damage than just scratching the yaw motor cover.

Its not a design flaw if the drone is not being used for what it is intended to be used for.
Well, if that's what you're doing to your Mavic, then I suggest you keep your sticker attached ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan