DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old boy from UK

pomm001

Reactions
Hi from the UK
Finally treated myself to a Mavic pro, steep learning curve ....
Envy you guys in the States where things are so much cheaper than here on 'treasure Island'
Not flown the Mavic yet as reading that after an upgrade of the Mavic app lots of Androids are at best patchy so the popular view is use a Ipad mini4 ?which seems to work without issue
will the 16GB ipad mini 4 work OK, no other running apps only for the Mavic
Many thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .

Hi from the UK
Finally treated myself to a Mavic pro, steep learning curve ....
Envy you guys in the States where things are so much cheaper than here on 'treasure Island'
Not flown the Mavic yet as reading that after an upgrade of the Mavic app lots of Androids are at best patchy so the popular view is use a Ipad mini4 ?which seems to work without issue
will the 16GB ipad mini 4 work OK, no other running apps only for the Mavic
Many thanks
Howdy from Wyoming @pomm001 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

An iPad Mini 4 is ideal for the Mavic - mine has no issues, performance-wise. Given their lack of expandable memory, you may want a larger storage version (like 128GB).

There are cheaper android tablets available (usually with expandable memory), like the 7" Huawei Mediapad T3 - aka Wundertablet
Thanks
it will only be for flying the Mavic, ie as a viewer,just coming to terms with having to invest in an apple product for stress free running of the app so want the least expensive ipad mini i can reasonably get away with

Hi poom001

Welcome to the forum mate, you will soon become an experienced Mavic pilot, it's so easy to fly you will not have problems...

Good Luck
Waylander

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Yes. Both of the iPad Minis I used are only 16GB.

You can find a list of other recommended and commonly used tablets here:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)
Thanks for the list
I have a S7 edge phone an see that this is supported by DJI read on the download page on google play store on 21 06 18 its no longer supported anyone using this ? and those using says it crashes all the time.
waylander recommended a couple of cheap tablets. While understanding the best option maybe ipad mini i hadn't really budgeted for spending almost 30% of the drone cost on a viewer .
I thought this was going to be easy :)

Welcome "Old boy from UK" !
I'm old boy from Canada :). Just picked my MP couple weeks ago and so far managed to take it for one 2 minutes fly right on my front yard (Toronto is a big drone flying restriction zone, so to find place to fly I will probably have to drive/ride 1 or so hour(s) up North). MP is very easy to fly but learning all the setting and remembering how to use them is quite challenging for somebody like I which never flew drone before. I'm not in the rush though :), my plan is to start playing with my MP when I retire (about 18 more months). I spent hours watching videos on YT and reading posts on this forum (very good source of information) trying to get as much info as possible.
The display is a challenging problem to solve, most phones, tablets, etc. will not perform very well in direct sunlight. In addition if you use Samsung phones they will drain battery on you RC much faster than apple phone or tablets. I solved the display problem by ordering CrystalSky Ultra Bright monitor and at this moment waiting for a call when I will be able to pick it up. For this reason I'm unable to comment on the CS monitor yet but from the reviews on this forum and on YT looks like it will serve my needs very well.
I hope you have a great time flying your drone and you find good, cheap and good, display solution to use when flying.

Cheers,
--jrr

Welcome! I’ve loved flying since I’ve had my Mavic, now the weather is improving in the UK I’m sure you’ll find plenty of cool places to fly about in! Have fun!

Welcome "Old boy from UK" !
I'm old boy from Canada :). Just picked my MP couple weeks ago and so far managed to take it for one 2 minutes fly right on my front yard (Toronto is a big drone flying restriction zone, so to find place to fly I will probably have to drive/ride 1 or so hour(s) up North). MP is very easy to fly but learning all the setting and remembering how to use them is quite challenging for somebody like I which never flew drone before. I'm not in the rush though :), my plan is to start playing with my MP when I retire (about 18 more months). I spent hours watching videos on YT and reading posts on this forum (very good source of information) trying to get as much info as possible.
The display is a challenging problem to solve, most phones, tablets, etc. will not perform very well in direct sunlight. In addition if you use Samsung phones they will drain battery on you RC much faster than apple phone or tablets. I solved the display problem by ordering CrystalSky Ultra Bright monitor and at this moment waiting for a call when I will be able to pick it up. For this reason I'm unable to comment on the CS monitor yet but from the reviews on this forum and on YT looks like it will serve my needs very well.
I hope you have a great time flying your drone and you find good, cheap and good, display solution to use when flying.

Cheers,
--jrr
Thanks for your mail, must admit i saw a guy at the weekend with a CS reader and it was certainly good in the bright sunlight, and it would be my first choice except here on 'treasure island' his set up ( 5.5 monitor, sun hood, adaptor to fit hand control) would cost some 75% of the cost of the drone, which to me is bordering on DJI exploitation :eek:

Thanks for your mail, must admit i saw a guy at the weekend with a CS reader and it was certainly good in the bright sunlight, and it would be my first choice except here on 'treasure island' his set up ( 5.5 monitor, sun hood, adaptor to fit hand control) would cost some 75% of the cost of the drone, which to me is bordering on DJI exploitation :eek:
I'm using a Galaxy S7 and it works really well with the mavic. No crashes no problems. Nice bright screen.

You don't need to buy apple...
Thanks for that I have an S7 edge and when going to download the mavic app there are comments that this level has screwed up S7 so much so it no longer on the 'supported' list
Which level of the mavic app are you on

The current version, whatever that is. Not seen any problems here. I wouldn't pay too much attention to app store comments, with a large user base like Mavic you are always going to get some people having a problem.
You can test the app without actually taking off, if you're worried something bad will happen. I've only once ever had the app crash (using an old S4) and the "return to home" feature worked very nicely...

Hi pomm001

You could give your S7 a try, don't forget you can fly the Mavic without any kind of display at all, the RC is all you need to Fly VLOS, if the S7 crashes, no worries provide that you are within visual range ( as you always should be ), you can call her home by pressing the RTH button, or conversely cancel a RTH. When you are landing most guys fly her in LOS and land or catch only using the RC you don't need the display for that. :)
Regards
Waylander

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Pro, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Thanks for that I have an S7 edge and when going to download the mavic app there are comments that this level has screwed up S7 so much so it no longer on the 'supported' list
Which level of the mavic app are you on

I took your advice after reading all the doom and gloom i starting to get nervous of even going outside :)
The S7 has worked faultlessly over the last half a dozen flights, no issues at all, and with the screen brightness turned up its a lot brighter than an I phone 10, so happy at the moment
I may want to look at a small android table just for the drone

Reactions: Congoblue
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803