DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Older model Apple iPads on sale...

I am not a fan of the Apple platform due to the limitations of the platform, but I know many here are. Woot! has some deals on older models if you want one:

Apple iPad 2017 & 2018 Models - Your Choice

They start at $284
What would those limitations be with apple? Seriously.
I see that typed quite a bit by android users for some reason. I have never felt limited at all.
The BIG Apple plus is that every Ipad or Iphone is compatible with all the software they offer.
Android is different from one manufacturer to another, sometimes from one device to the next. I'll take reliability and consistency every time. I dont mind only having one place to go for apps. because they have TONS and its all malware free and tested.

I see that typed quite a bit by android users for some reason. I have never felt limited at all.

I've owned a lot of Apple devices and I've owned a lot of Android devices. Once you've owned both you would see how much Apple limits what you can do with your device. It's well documented, so it's not with getting into an Apple/Android pissing match here and derailing the thread. You can Google it if you feel so inclined.

I prefer Android for everything except flying DJI drones. DJI does a crap job coding Go for Android.

I've owned a lot of Apple devices and I've owned a lot of Android devices. Once you've owned both you would see how much Apple limits what you can do with your device. It's well documented, so it's not with getting into an Apple/Android pissing match here and derailing the thread. You can Google it if you feel so inclined.

I prefer Android for everything except flying DJI drones. DJI does a crap job coding Go for Android.
I think the OP includes an android vs apple component. so lets go with it, otherwise, where is an apple sale thread going to go? :D
I have owned both too. Still do, but the android powered stuff is collecting dust.
What specific limitations are you talking about? I am truly curious what android owners need to do with a phone that they cant do on an apple device. I have not run into one single thing, so thats why I am asking. I heave seen "bloat" mentioned a lot, but there is FAR more bloat on a stock android phone.

*tapping his foot*
Thats what I figured the response was going to be.......
Still waiting

How many you want? Can't have a firewall, can't sideload apps not in the Apple store, can't even replace the texting app back end - like adding signal - the apple texting app is the real handler of the text, can't install real Firefox because Safari is the forced back end and essentially what you are using is Safari with Firefox paint, can't load add-on apps to your browser, can't load ad-blockers, can't customize the gui, can't do simple things like change your keyboard app, how long a list do you want?

I have both in this house, and I get high blood pressure every time apple says I can't do something that I can easily do on Android.

But that was not the point of the thread. Some people love apple because I personally think they are easy to figure out for people that are somewhat technology challenged which is why I posted the sale, and as stated above the DJI Go App works great on it as it gets more love from DJI. Also, I think certain Android devices are the reason that DJI Go crashes on some Android devices. I have used several and certain brands seem to be flawless (Sony and ASUS come to mind) and some are crash happy (Samsung comes to mind, but only certain models) so a lot of the crashing might be the manufacturers deviated from specific set Android specifications. This is where Apple may have an advantage with DJI Go as there is really only one underlying OS to program for and all the devices are running it.

The point being is, use whatever you are happy with.

Reactions: Kilrah
How many you want? Can't have a firewall,
dont Need one. There is no known threats for IOS, So trivial at best.

can't sideload apps not in the Apple store,
Never needed an app that wasnt available on the app store, ever. But I do know it can easily be done. without any jailbreak or Rooting.

can't even replace the texting app back end - like adding signal - the apple texting app is the real handler of the text
I can send and receive texts fine. I dont even need cell service if the receiving Iphone is on the same WiFi. I see no advantage.

, can't install real Firefox because Safari is the forced back end and essentially what you are using is Safari with Firefox paint,
Yet, I can go to every web page you can, and not have to worry about Virus's, so it sounds trivial as well.

can't load add-on apps to your browser,
I cant think of one that is needed. Most everything a person needs is there, anything else is self inflicted bloat

can't load ad-blockers,
I dont know that I have ever seen an ad. If there is some, they must not be a problem if I cant recall any. Must be your back door browser and add ons that require additional parts?
at least now I know why you need browser add ons now.

can't customize the gui,
Where is the importance in that? Hardly makes it more desirable device choice. Not many people feel the need to change GUI on anything, unless just to be able to say they did it.

can't do simple things like change your keyboard app,
Really? Like to move the keys around to random places? or change the font or colors used on the keys? I dont know many people the spray paint their PC keybords, or rearrange the keys.

how long a list do you want?
How about a list that proves BETTER, or shows REAL limitations that make any difference in performance. I am not interested in "Its just more fun for for tinkerers"

The point being is, use whatever you are happy with.
Couldnt agree more. My point is no need to try to justify your choice by making misleading "limitation" comments when all you are talking about is ability to tweak gui appearance, keyboard preference and how a text is handled. Just about every app is available on either platform, so that isnt even a thing.

Reactions: Vicrimo
*tapping his foot*
Thats what I figured the response was going to be.......
Still waiting

As I wrote above:

“It's well documented, so it's not worth getting into an Apple/Android pissing match here and derailing the thread. You can Google it if you feel so inclined.”

It’s clear you were spoiling for an argument, as usual, and not interested in actually hearing a response. Your response to xman1 confirms that.

Every one of your points is essentially either “I don’t understand” or “I don’t find that important.” Not everyone has the same needs or wants you do and therefore don’t like Apple telling them what they can or cannot do with their device.

Last edited:
Reactions: choo choo

And most here are interested in how to run the GO app with best performance and least problems... nothing to google...

I have had a long time preference for Android also, particularly those with rooted OS and custom roms.

As I wrote above:

“It's well documented, so it's not worth getting into an Apple/Android pissing match here and derailing the thread. You can Google it if you feel so inclined.”

It’s clear you were spoiling for an argument, as usual, and not interested in actually hearing a response. Your response to xman1 confirms that.

Every one of your points is essentially either “I don’t understand” or “I don’t find that important.” Not everyone has the same needs or wants you do and therefore don’t like Apple telling them what they can or cannot do with their device.
Its only an argument if someone is angry. You angry bro?
I am just wanting some discussion on why people are convinced that one platform is BETTER than another. I am talking about performance not creature comforts. Most everything in the list provided by xman1 is either not true or has nothing to do with performance. It’s ok to debate but if you are too emotionally invested in your telephone OS to add any valid input maybe this isn’t the discussion for you?
So far we have discovered that there are at least 1000 times more things to infect an android than there is on an Apple if it happens, Apple patches within days of any new threats.
Also you don’t get any type of antivirus or protection included with android.
And you can make your keyboard and user interface pretty on android. ( I’ll assume I can’t on my iPhone, but it never occurred to me to try)

No need to fight let’s discuss!

It’s ok to debate but if you are too emotionally invested in your telephone OS to add any valid input maybe this isn’t the discussion for you?

I think it's pretty clear from your posts who's emotionally invested in their OS here.

Note I was just trying to be helpful here and answer your question. With that, you failed to acknowledge one shortcoming of the device and instead state how you don't need that capability so it is no big deal. What was the question then as it was clearly not what you asked?

You also fail to understand how the things I mention actually help you. If you were in town, I would for example show you a much better browsing experience, free and clear of clutter and flashing ad banners with just the content you want. I'd think you'd like it. You would also control the data being sent to third parties, like China's govenrment in DJI's app and be able to sniff that data to see what it is.

All of this is irrelevant though on a whole as my point remains the same - being the last line I wrote in the above post:
..."use whatever you are happy with."

I guess if this post doesn't help you understand my position, then so be it.

Note: It is a myth that iOS is secure. It is plagued with vulnerabilities. It has less than Android, but not much. This could change next year too as they swap back and forth. Here is the current list - most get patched before they make them public: Apple Iphone Os : List of security vulnerabilities

Last edited:
Note I was just trying to be helpful here and answer your question. With that, you failed to acknowledge one shortcoming of the device and instead state how you don't need that capability so it is no big deal. What was the question then as it was clearly not what you asked?

You also fail to understand how the things I mention actually help you. If you were in town, I would for example show you a much better browsing experience, free and clear of clutter and flashing ad banners with just the content you want. I'd think you'd like it. You would also control the data being sent to third parties, like China's govenrment in DJI's app and be able to sniff that data to see what it is.

All of this is irrelevant though on a whole as my point remains the same - being the last line I wrote in the above post:
..."use whatever you are happy with."

I guess if this post doesn't help you understand my position, then so be it.

Note: It is a myth that iOS is secure. It is plagued with vulnerabilities. It has less than Android, but not much. This could change next year too as they swap back and forth. Here is the current list - most get patched before they make them public: Apple Iphone Os : List of security vulnerabilities
One more note. The list I linked only has the 125 vulns that were published in 2018. Here is the total list of 1496: Apple Iphone Os : CVE security vulnerabilities, versions and detailed reports

Also note that these are just the publically known vulns.

Edit: For fair comparrisson sake, Android has had 1927 vulns, so Apple has had about 25% less.
Thank you very much for being understanding!
I dont have clutter and flashing banners at all unless its built into whatever web site I am looking at. So that seems like a non truth to me. All manufactures can do data sniffing no matter the OS.
I totally agree that one should go with what they like. I do just as you do.

Not all people want to have to make adjustments and download things that should be included.
It is NOT fair to say Iphones /Ipads are limited on a forum about using them for drone control, when people ask which one to choose. Because the things you describe are not in anyway limiting the use with a Mavic. (I know it didnt happen in this thread) but when it comes to DJI go4, you have to agree, that for a non techie type, Android is BY FAR the most challenging for users to get working properly. I would estimate that 75% of the device problem threads are concerning android devices of some sort.
So why not recommend an IOS device, that will be plug and play 99% of the time for those who inquire which to use with DJI?

My cell phone account has four phones on it. We started with android devices because they are 1/2 the price of apple. My wife and kids are technology cripples. (like MANY here) They were constantly coming to me with locked up phones, shattered screens, broken charge connectors, bad batteries,and a host of other things.
I got them all iphones after 4 years of this because of advice from another in my shoes.. I stuck with android for 2 more years. Eventually, seeing the problem free nature of the families phones, and me having to hard reset at least once a month, replace batteries every year, and maybe a replacement screen here and there. I made the switch. It took awhile for me to understand that it isn't limited as far as functions are concerned, they just do things differently than I was used to. I have had to replace 1 iphone screen in 6 years compared to 5 android screens in two years time. I have NEVER had to replace a battery. And have never had a broken charge port (how ever they can get plugged with pocket lint), best of all, my family can figure everything out on their own.
The old iphone 6 that I use with my mavic sometimes has been dropped many times, never broken, it still has a battery health of 100% more than 4 years later., And the phone itself is plastic free and built like a tank. Unlike any of the Motorola, Samsung, or LG phones we have had. So it is hard for me to look back.
So I see what YOU see as limitations and conveniences, and I hope you now see what I consider limitations and conveniences. You prefer preferences, I prefer ease and convenience!

Both Android and IOS are fairly equal in capabilities, obviously, or one wouldnt exist at all.

Thank you for not getting "Salty" :D

dont Need one. There is no known threats for IOS, So trivial at best.

This is simply not true. Both companies are patching security flaws monthly and often times even more frequently than that. There are literal thousands of known and published iOS vulnerabilities.

Never needed an app that wasnt available on the app store, ever. But I do know it can easily be done. without any jailbreak or Rooting.

That is very subjective - there are lots of apps that are not cross platform. Just because you don't use them doesn't make it a non-issue.

Yet, I can go to every web page you can, and not have to worry about Virus's, so it sounds trivial as well.

Simply not true for either device, but the likelihood of getting a virus on either device is virtually zero anyway.

I dont know that I have ever seen an ad. If there is some, they must not be a problem if I cant recall any. Must be your back door browser and add ons that require additional parts?
at least now I know why you need browser add ons now.

I have seen more ads on my iPad than any other platform, that includes Windows/PC and Android. You simply have more options to block ads on Android and you aren't forced to use Safari to do so. Chrome is much more featured than Safari, and on my iPad I cannot use an ad blocker if I want to also use Chrome.

Where is the importance in that? Hardly makes it more desirable device choice. Not many people feel the need to change GUI on anything, unless just to be able to say they did it.

Lots of people do this, it is actually very popular. You can get light themes, dark themes, etc. For example if the device has an OLED, a dark theme gives noticeable battery savings. It's also just personal preference - why not give people the choice? No reason not to let people change the look of the device most of us use more than anything else every single day of our lives. Layouts changes can mean significant productivity increases as well - what the manufacturer chooses for us is not always best for each individual. Again, just because you don't want to, doesn't make it useless - I am sensing a theme here.

Really? Like to move the keys around to random places? or change the font or colors used on the keys? I dont know many people the spray paint their PC keybords, or rearrange the keys.

Again, changing keyboards is extremely popular. There was a time when the first thing you did when you got a new phone was install Swiftkey because it was exponentially better than any other keyboard with regards to predictive text and swipe to text. Until very recently you could not swipe to text on an iOS device but let me guess - you don't use that either so nobody should want it. Further to this, some people are used to punctuation being in different spots on the keyboard (Like periods, commas, and shortcuts to special keys) - being able to customize all these things to a high degree is huge for some people.

How about a list that proves BETTER, or shows REAL limitations that make any difference in performance. I am not interested in "Its just more fun for for tinkerers"

Apple has no real file system. Apple has no easy drag/drop compatibility with other devices - getting photos/video from my iPad to my PC is a nightmare. $80 of cables were required for me to load drone footage onto my iPad (which are now useless as the new iPad pro is switching connectors). $80 of charger and a special cable is needed if I want my iPad not to lose charge while using it, even if it's plugged in. Apple has a very limited notification system compared to Android. Almost every accessory is unnecessarily proprietary and cables/dongles are absurdly overpriced. Apple does not include quick chargers with any mobile products. Siri is garbage, Apple maps is vastly inferior to Google Maps, and Apple Car Play is more limited than Android Auto. Android has more free apps. Android allows console emulators. Android has much better VR support at the moment. Android's (Google) AI is much better. Android offers original quality unlimited photo/video storage including 4K to Pixel users (which is the primary iPhone competitor) and unlimited photo/video storage to everyone else if you let google use their "high quality" compression which is very acceptable. Casting video/screens is incredibly limited on iOS unless you have an Apple TV - my Android devices let me cast to thousands of devices natively. You cannot even remove many iOS apps that you don't want or don't use (I have many of them). Let me guess - you don't care about any of that either so why should anyone else?

Apple does a lot of things really well too, which I think is why a lot of people (like myself) are dual users. One thing they have is more tablet-specific apps which is nice. I have used Android/Apple side by side (both phone and tablet) for the last decade across dozens of devices. I will also give Apple credit in SLOWLY becoming more 'open'. Most of Google's core apps are also available for iOS now so people can pick and choose what works best for them. Every year that goes by they become more similar.

Personally and anecdotally, I have had far more problems with Apple/iOS than Android over the years, and that includes both quality issues with hardware and software. A corrupted iOS backup done through iTunes caused a family member to lose thousands of irreplaceable photos that they were unaware hadn't been backed up because they did not pay for iCloud (this would have been free on Android). Both my iphone 4S and iPhone 8's have had reboot loop issues. I had to replace my iPad Pro 3 times due to faulty screens. I have a box full of broken Apple charge cables.

You're happy with your Apple devices and that's great, but what you don't seem to appreciate is that you do not represent everyone. Comments like "why would anyone...." are very shortsighted. You downplay every Android advantage because you personally do not need it - which is fine but not representative of any sort of consensus.

Last edited:
The BIG Apple plus is that every Ipad or Iphone is compatible with all the software they offer.
Android is different from one manufacturer to another, sometimes from one device to the next. I'll take reliability and consistency every time. I dont mind only having one place to go for apps. because they have TONS and its all malware free and tested.
For those of us who develop apps, Google's Android is a much more friendly operating system. Android also provides a lot more customization options than iOS, like different launchers, widgets. Samsung's tablets have more powerful multitasking features, including the new Dex desktop experience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan