DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

on cusp of huge decision, appreciate your wisdom

I tried using 2 different android devices that were supposta work with the mavic. One did not work at all and the other one was soo laggy it was not fun. I really did not want to spend more money on a device, but I just purchased an ipad mini 4, just the wifi version for $200 so that will be my dedicated screen.

The thing about Apple devices is that unless you jailbreak the devices DJI know exactly what they are installling their software on to and have a pretty good chance of doing some meaningful testing before releasing the software.
With Android devices every manufacturer has a different version of the OS and interface and they don't all keep them up to date. Also Google don't control what apps can do and how they might clash with other apps or even the OS, so DJI do the best they can but with all the different versions of OS and interface there can be things that aren't tested with whatever you've got.
I went with mobile enabled iPad Mini4.

This is no excuse for DJI, aside from the fact their software can be unstable on supported devices on their compatibility list, most Android apps do not have the same stability issues including those also used with the Mavic like Litchi. I can appreciate the it's not possible to get the software smoothly on every single Android device as there is some quite unusual hardware out there but it is possible to have an application running on Android devices without stability issues, people frequently lay the blame with the variety of software/hardware Android runs on but it's just sloppy coding from DJI.

With that in mind and as someone who dislikes Apple, I wouldn't recommend Android to use with a DJI device because even if it works now it could be broken on the next update plus even with people using the same device there's a lot of inconsistency in the stability.

John

Reactions: Mavic626
This is no excuse for DJI, aside from the fact their software can be unstable on supported devices on their compatibility list, most Android apps do not have the same stability issues including those also used with the Mavic like Litchi. I can appreciate the it's not possible to get the software smoothly on every single Android device as there is some quite unusual hardware out there but it is possible to have an application running on Android devices without stability issues, people frequently lay the blame with the variety of software/hardware Android runs on but it's just sloppy coding from DJI.

With that in mind and as someone who dislikes Apple, I wouldn't recommend Android to use with a DJI device because even if it works now it could be broken on the next update plus even with people using the same device there's a lot of inconsistency in the stability.

John
I agree, I am not an apple guy at all but for this I would recommend staying with apple. It seems like some ppl running the exact same android device with the the os have completely different results, such as the galaxy s7 and s8. My note 4 would not even connect to the controller. Too bad Dji does not make their own touch screen that would not have any issues.

Samsung is impressive... but loaded with bloat ware, and the inevitable freezing etc.

Go with the rock solid Apple. The fact you still have a iPhone 5 says a lot! What was the Samsung equivalent of the iPhone 5? That's right the S-Nobody cares

Reactions: Robin
I use an ipad air 2 for my p3p and an iphone se for my mavic and never had a problem they work great

The only reason that I had any Apple devices was to get familiarity with devices that I have to support at work. My desktop and laptop are both Windows, phone is rooted Samsung S4 to get control of bloatware and I've had android tablets.
My experience is that whereas Apple strictly control iOS, the file system and the apps that are allowed to be installed and attempts to keep their devices up to date, Android allows device builders to mess around with the OS that is installed adding bloatware, there is less control of apps and the file system and OS updates are released at the discretion of device manufacturers and suppliers or even the carrier. So there is no guarantee that even two of the same model of phone/device has the same operating system and file structure. There have even been occasions when the path to user files was changed between versions causing app writers to rewrite their programmes to compensate.

I agree, I am not an apple guy at all but for this I would recommend staying with apple. It seems like some ppl running the exact same android device with the the os have completely different results, such as the galaxy s7 and s8. My note 4 would not even connect to the controller. Too bad Dji does not make their own touch screen that would not have any issues.

DJI do make their own controller for the Phantom 4 Pro Plus which is Android based and the new Crystalsky monitors are Android based as well:

CrystalSky

I don't follow the P4 range closely although I've seen complaints about instability on the P4P+ screen as well. The official line from DJI is that there's no problems at all with any of the compatible devices :(

John

I've have/had a bunch of different DJI Drones over the past few years. I've been on all the forums for the drones I've owned. The one consistent thing I've seen is that DJI products work best with Apple products. Android products are hit and miss. Sometime updates works with them other times not so much.

When I got my first DJI Drone, I searched for the best/most compatible tablet regardless of brand or OS. Nvidia K shield was way up there but some people reported issue. I never once read about any serious Apple Tablet issues unless the tablet was no longer supported or it was user error.

I've got an Iphone 6+ and various Ipads; Ipad Mini 4, Ipad Air, Ipad Air2, Ipad Pro. And I've had only the most minor of issues with any of them flying everything from my Phantom 3 all the way up to my Inspire.

I would strongly recommend going with Apple products for use with a DJI dron if you are looking for the least amount of hassle.

possibly a already analyzed topic but with a new twist.

i've bought a new mavic pro.

i'm 52, retired, and humbly intelligent.

my old iphone 5 is messing up.

i WAS going to get an iphone 7 plus and a mini 4 for my drone.

however, my local drone shop guys (way younger than me) all say to go the android route.

so I looked at the galaxy s8 plus and it is an awesome looking phone, then i would get an galaxy s2 tablet at costco for like a few bucks.

i don't mind spending 1000 on a phone. (well, actually I do!)

my question, i wanted to stay with the same pair of devices, ie phone and tablet just because hopefully it will be easier to use the stuff.

so, as a newbie drone person, there must be some totally addicted tech guys on here who have used both with their mavic.

I really don't want to spend hours debugging stuff or having stupid issues. i was thinking of using litchie for the drone. my use of the drone is using it to search mountainous or rugged terrain for certain flowers. (pathetic hobby, i know)

i want to have a enjoyable time with the drone and new phone/tablet, i don't have time to sit on the internet for hours figuring out little problems.

my 12 y/o son will also want to use it.

i have been scouring the interverse for info on this subject but still seems to be a tough decision.

the big pro for the iphone is that software wise, it seems to be way ahead of the samsung and the apps appear to work better for the most part.

the big pro for the samsung is obviously it's screen and not sure what else.

i have read most of the droid vs apple threads, but if i want to be rather portable and lightweight sometimes and might just bring a phone to use on the mavic so 40% of the time, iphone 7 plus or s8 plus? do they both work the same actually?

ADDED: WOULD I RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS TO HAVE A SAMSUNG PHONE AND IPAD MINI, USING IPAD MOST OF THE TIME AND THEN THE PHONE PART OF THE TIME WHEN WEIGHT IS A FACTOR? OR WOULD THAT BE TOO CONFUSING AND POSSIBLY CAUSE A CRASH?

thanks ahead of time for any helpful responses

Kevin

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar