DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

on cusp of huge decision, appreciate your wisdom

rockwind1

Reactions
possibly a already analyzed topic but with a new twist.

i've bought a new mavic pro.

i'm 52, retired, and humbly intelligent.

my old iphone 5 is messing up.

i WAS going to get an iphone 7 plus and a mini 4 for my drone.

however, my local drone shop guys (way younger than me) all say to go the android route.

so I looked at the galaxy s8 plus and it is an awesome looking phone, then i would get an galaxy s2 tablet at costco for like a few bucks.

i don't mind spending 1000 on a phone. (well, actually I do!)

my question, i wanted to stay with the same pair of devices, ie phone and tablet just because hopefully it will be easier to use the stuff.

so, as a newbie drone person, there must be some totally addicted tech guys on here who have used both with their mavic.

I really don't want to spend hours debugging stuff or having stupid issues. i was thinking of using litchie for the drone. my use of the drone is using it to search mountainous or rugged terrain for certain flowers. (pathetic hobby, i know)

i want to have a enjoyable time with the drone and new phone/tablet, i don't have time to sit on the internet for hours figuring out little problems.

my 12 y/o son will also want to use it.

i have been scouring the interverse for info on this subject but still seems to be a tough decision.

the big pro for the iphone is that software wise, it seems to be way ahead of the samsung and the apps appear to work better for the most part.

the big pro for the samsung is obviously it's screen and not sure what else.

i have read most of the droid vs apple threads, but if i want to be rather portable and lightweight sometimes and might just bring a phone to use on the mavic so 40% of the time, iphone 7 plus or s8 plus? do they both work the same actually?

ADDED: WOULD I RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS TO HAVE A SAMSUNG PHONE AND IPAD MINI, USING IPAD MOST OF THE TIME AND THEN THE PHONE PART OF THE TIME WHEN WEIGHT IS A FACTOR? OR WOULD THAT BE TOO CONFUSING AND POSSIBLY CAUSE A CRASH?

thanks ahead of time for any helpful responses

Kevin

Last edited:
Reactions: hychewright
Hello Kevin, I am also retired and (67 years young) . I went with the iphone 7 and a mini 4, couldn't be any happier. I highly recommend the iphone and mini 4. I don't know much about the android so I can't give you any advice on that phone. I have read on this forum that android users sometimes have problems with updates ? What ever you decide to go with just enjoy the Mavic and have fun ! Safe flying.

You can find some good info here... Phones and tablets that work well with DJI GO ...done up by Mavic Help on his site. You will fiind a lot of answers and plenty of help with anything Mavic. DJI Mavic Accessories & Tips - Mavic Help
On a personal note; I'm an Android guy all day long... until it's time to fly... then I'm all about the iPad. These machines were made primarily for iOS based systems. It works best with iOS based systems. Yes, it works fine for some Android based systems. But if you want the best out of your Mavic... why not go with what it's made for? ;)

possibly a already analyzed topic but with a new twist.

i've bought a new mavic pro.

i'm 52, retired, and humbly intelligent.

my old iphone 5 is messing up.

i WAS going to get an iphone 7 plus and a mini 4 for my drone.

however, my local drone shop guys (way younger than me) all say to go the android route.

so I looked at the galaxy s8 plus and it is an awesome looking phone, then i would get an galaxy s2 tablet at costco for like a few bucks.

i don't mind spending 1000 on a phone.

my question, i wanted to stay with the same pair of devices, ie phone and tablet just because hopefully it will be easier to use the stuff.

so, as a newbie drone person, there must be some totally addicted tech guys on here who have used both with their mavic.

I really don't want to spend hours debugging stuff or having stupid issues. i was thinking of using litchie for the drone. my use of the drone is using it to search mountainous or rugged terrain for certain flowers. (pathetic hobby, i know)

i want to have a enjoyable time with the drone and new phone/tablet, i don't have time to sit on the internet for hours figuring out little problems.

my 12 y/o son will also want to use it.

i have been scouring the interverse for info on this subject but still seems to be a tough decision.

the big pro for the iphone is that software wise, it seems to be way ahead of the samsung and the apps appear to work better for the most part.

the big pro for the samsung is obviously it's screen and not sure what else.

i have read most of the droid vs apple threads, but if i want to be rather portable and lightweight sometimes and might just bring a phone to use on the mavic so 40% of the time, iphone 7 plus or s8 plus? do they both work the same actually?

ADDED: WOULD I RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS TO HAVE A SAMSUNG PHONE AND IPAD MINI, USING IPAD MOST OF THE TIME AND THEN THE PHONE PART OF THE TIME WHEN WEIGHT IS A FACTOR? OR WOULD THAT BE TOO CONFUSING AND POSSIBLY CAUSE A CRASH?

thanks ahead of time for any helpful responses

Kevin
Go with the mini 4, I have an android Shield and it is hit or miss sometimes, I would go with apple or with the new CrystalSky; or if you must go with android I would try the new Sony Xz(or Zx or whatever) series that is a $1000 phone. Switching in between devices should not cause it to crash.

Most Android devices are a hit and miss with the Mavic. It goes further than to say that one particular model works well and therefore buy this one and you will have no problems. The problems with Android are not only model related but also depend on which update DJI releases. You may have your Android device working perfectly on version 4.07 then on version 4.10 yours has issues and some other models now work perfectly.

If you want stability and no disconnection issues then I highly recommend Apple. The second thing I would recommend is just get the iPhone7 Plus and try that first. It may be enough screen size for you and it does not hamper your use of the control's like the iPad Mini. If you still need more screen size then go ahead with your plan and get the mini also.

I also suggest you order the Freewell sunshade. It is the best method I have found for eliminating the sun glare from the screen.

DJI MAVIC SUNSHADE - FREEWELL GEAR

Good luck

Rob

I think that the best option is iOs, possibly an ipad mini; the only plus with s8 is that if you are interested in a simple and cheap fpv option, with this samsung you get the best display actually in the market.

Those guys probably said that cause they're techy. I personally hate Apple, but I'd still recommend it for you in this case. It almost always gets better support, and is clearly the favored platform by DJI. Android is flexible and powerful and if you know how to fiddle with it, it blows iOS out of the water. But if you just want an easy, get it and go experience, go iOS. I haven't tried Litchie but sounds like it's pretty good on Android. I know the DJI app is pretty garbage on android.

I'm techy. I use android and I'm appalled at how poorly implemented the DJI GO 4 app is on android. I'm probably going to write my own app using their SDK. But that kind of stuff interests me, and I don't mind spending hours trying to figure silly things out. If I was going to try to get my mom into drones, I'd give her a ipad mini 4 with DJI GO 4.

Reactions: hanshaw
I have used both and iOS is more reliable. I was able to use DJI GO on the Samsung s7 Edge. but when they introduced DJI GO 4 I was unable to use both DJI GO 3 for my OSMO Mobile and DJI GO 4 for the Mavic on the same s7 Edge. When I raised it with DJI support they pointed out that the s7 Edge which is regarded as the best smartphone of 2016 was not on their supported list. The s8 may appear on their supported list but its a risk and Samsung are also shockingly bad at keeping up with Android updates.

If you think you might be getting the Goggles, the Mini 4 may turn out to be overkill. JAT. I have the M4 but I don't know this first-hand untillI get the goggles.

thanks! i guess that settles that. iphone. dang, that samsung looked incredible! it was better than my tv!

i tried to order the goggles but they are sold out already.

would anyone recommend the litchie app? there are so many apps! it drives me crazy, litchie, fpv, tower, dji go,(which a lot of people have low opinions of it seems)

if I used the litchie app, would I be getting into too much of the techy world?

i guess i will start reading the app threads

You need to master DJI GO first, but once comfortable I prefer Autopilot over Litchi, Litchi is good but only has about 50% of the settings as Autopilot although that can mean Autopilot has a steep learning curve.

The thing about Apple devices is that unless you jailbreak the devices DJI know exactly what they are installling their software on to and have a pretty good chance of doing some meaningful testing before releasing the software.
With Android devices every manufacturer has a different version of the OS and interface and they don't all keep them up to date. Also Google don't control what apps can do and how they might clash with other apps or even the OS, so DJI do the best they can but with all the different versions of OS and interface there can be things that aren't tested with whatever you've got.
I went with mobile enabled iPad Mini4.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Well I am an Apple fan and do rate the Ipad Mini 4 as an excellent display for the Mavic, but as like with almost all displays, bar maybe the Crystal Sky monitor, they become a nightmare to see anything in bright sunlight. Another option worth considering is the Epson Moverio Glasses. They are not without their initial problems on first setting up. But coupled with a set of Rochester shades, they are by far my choice of display for seeing what the Mavic sees, whilst still keeping VLOS with your drone. Lots of info around the web on getting the most out of them - the Moverio uses an Android OS by the way....but the augmented view of your drone has to be seen to be believed.

FAA controllers, if hired at 19, can go home at 44. I was 54, I had gone in at 31. Also, self-employed peeps can retire anytime.

thanks for all the advice everyone, you guys are great.

pretty much unanimous so it seems rather obvious that I will be getting the iphone 7 plus. supposedly the 8S screen has black bars on either side of the picture with the drone app so it is not much bigger than the iphone. i wonder how all the camera lenses people have bought for iphones will work on the iphone 7plus with it's dual camera set up?

my work place was 25 and out, i did 27 1/2. retired 5 years ago. i'm a stay at home dad now, 15 y/o daughter and 12 y/o son. that's why i bought the drone, keep an eye on daughter and boyfriend:D

Reactions: Vilco
Totally agree with all the comments above. I'm anit-Apple but eventuality went for an iPad mini 4 (cellular to get the barometer)

I also have an Galaxy S7 Edge which I have used but found the screen too small with all the useful info - and too fiddly to unlock and stop applications when swapping between Go and Litchi.

Bottom line: at 55 (not retired!) I just want to enjoy the Mavic not fight with it. You will almost certainly have less problems going ios - and have the option to run apps like Autopilot.

I manage to fit the Mavic, controller, 5 batteries and the iPad mini in a small camera bag which I'm happy enough to carry whenever I go out or throw in the back of the car. The bigger screen really helps and the mini still fits in the controller.

If you are into phones, customisation and lots of features, some that you will use and others that you won't, at the cost of complexity and instability of software (as the DJI app crashes on some Android phones), go for Android. Android/ the S8 also has more apps from third party developers for drones.

Else, if you prefer something simple, powerful, very stable but at the cost of customisability, go for the iPhone.

I use the iPhone 7 Plus because and could not be happier. DJI uses Apple products in all their ads. They seem to prefer Apple too.

Whatever you choose, I wish you lots of joy with your new toy. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan