DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Once in flight does the Mavic even need a compass?

Stephenmaycol

Reactions
This is my second Mavic. The 1st one did not have this problem. This one shows compass interference when the gimbal is tilted from about 120-170 degrees. I have flown it for 35 hours and know the condition well. The interference is rectified completely when the camera angle is level or only slightly tilted forward (90-115 degrees) or at 180 degrees. I have experimented and isolated the problem. It can be create and rectified at will. I observed that even when showing compass interference that I have complete control. And that the indicator on the tablet turns in sync with the aircraft. Therefore my question... Other than on take off, landing and RTH... is there some danger in flying with it showing compass interference? Can compass interference affect GPS? Or any other electronic feature that controls flight? come on Captains... please dig into your expertise. I believe drones flew without compasses for years. Thanks for your enlightenment.

Compass interference can definitely affect flight. It usually happens when there is interference (ignored) at the launch point that is gone at altitude. Then the Mavic thinks it is pointing in a different direction than actual causing control issues.

What Mavic do you have? Is it a M2P?

This is my second Mavic. The 1st one did not have this problem. This one shows compass interference when the gimbal is tilted from about 120-170 degrees. I have flown it for 35 hours and know the condition well. The interference is rectified completely when the camera angle is level or only slightly tilted forward (90-115 degrees) or at 180 degrees. I have experimented and isolated the problem. It can be create and rectified at will. I observed that even when showing compass interference that I have complete control. And that the indicator on the tablet turns in sync with the aircraft. Therefore my question... Other than on take off, landing and RTH... is there some danger in flying with it showing compass interference? Can compass interference affect GPS? Or any other electronic feature that controls flight? come on Captains... please dig into your expertise. I believe drones flew without compasses for years. Thanks for your enlightenment.
I believe that if there are large enough discrepancies detected between the IMU and other sensors, compass, that the Mavic can flip into ATTI mode, which affects flight.

Compass is required at all times in GPS-guided flight, which is the only option you have on a Mavic.

I believe the M1 has redundant compass, which is probably why you haven't gotten into trouble.
Strange the gimbal triggers it. Could be one of the gimbal motors is getting too close to one of the compass sensor.

I believe drones flew without compasses for years. Thanks for your enlightenment.
Not really, at least not since we started shoving gps onboard. They have been the cause of many issues when not working correctly.
I remember one of my early drones going into the dreaded Toilet bowl effect and kept going faster. Just had to spear it in to get it to stop. Another important lesson learned that day

...This one shows compass interference when the gimbal is tilted from about 120-170 degrees. I have flown it for 35 hours and know the condition well. The interference is rectified completely when the camera angle is level or only slightly tilted forward (90-115 degrees) or at 180 degrees...
It sounds like your gimbal has become slightly magnetized. Perhaps a demagnetizer like CFixer would fix the problem. CFixer is the Compass Error Fixer

Thank you for your inputs. It is a Mavic Platinum.

Compass interference can definitely affect flight. It usually happens when there is interference (ignored) at the launch point that is gone at altitude. Then the Mavic thinks it is pointing in a different direction than actual causing control issues.

What Mavic do you have? Is it a M2P?

Mavic platinum.

I show no compass errors before flights... I can by tilting the gimbal forward. It doesnt matter the altitude..

So the real question... Once in flight, the worst case scenario for compass interference would be that it could go into ATTI mode?

Last edited:
...So the real question... Once in flight, the worst case scenario for compass interference would be that it could go into ATTI mode?
The worst case scenario is the compass and IMU do not agree on a heading leading to uncontrolled flight, including RTH failure. There are a number of threads about compass failures causing crashes. It your MPP is still under warranty, I would start a claim with DJI.

The worst case scenario is the compass and IMU do not agree on a heading leading to uncontrolled flight, including RTH failure. There are a number of threads about compass failures causing crashes. It your MPP is still under warranty, I would start a claim with DJI.

Thanks to all who gave view points... the problem grew worse and the gimbal started acting up. DJI reviewed my case and repaired it under warranty. It was repaired by Heliboss in Mexico City. I just recieved it back today. I will give an update on it once I fly it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000