DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Only in Michigan

TheFoxSaysRingADingDing

Reactions
This weekend I stumbled upon this oddity almost exclusively found in Michigan. This is a Cement Camelback Bridge, and come to find out there is an interesting story about it. Back in the 1920s, the department of transportation were looking to replace a wooden bridge across the St. Joe river. During that time the state was interested in building these kinds of bridges due to them being super sturdy and low maintenance. Michigan, unlike almost all other states, also wanted to make the bridges look decorative, so they adapted this unique look to their camelback bridges. This particular bridge is special because it is not only the longest in the state (270ft when most are 90ft.) but it is also the only one left standing that has multiple humps. Now the bridge is just a pedestrian bridge. In the last picture you can see the remnants of the original bridge before the 20s.

I did get some video of it too that I'll have to share, but funny story, I took my mavic about 4 feet in the air and all the way through from end to end of the bridge and followed right behind. What I didn't realize was that this bridge was also a paper wasp city, and they didn't take too kindly to the big dust storm and racket I had made. And so I had to run the whole way back , but luckily I only got stung about half a dozen times! So newbies here's a pro tip, always look at your surroundings before you start flying and don't do what I did.

Bridge cropped.jpegDJI_0465.jpegView attachment Untitled2.jpegView attachment bridge high res cropped.jpeg

Interesting

Very good story and history lesson Fox, thank you. Yeah I skinned my M2P yellow. I didn't think it through. When I RTH I have to fight off wasps and bees wanting to mate with a super queen.

Team, take the time to read Fox's post . . . it's worth it.

Wow! That brings back memories. For most of my life where I live about three miles from my house there was two of these bridges. Single hump only on each one. Not much room on each side. They were very old when replaced several years ago.

Wow! That brings back memories. For most of my life where I live about three miles from my house there was two of these bridges. Single hump only on each one. Not much room on each side. They were very old when replaced several years ago.
I hadn't lived in the state for that long, so when I saw this and looked up the story behind these bridges I was very intrigued. It makes you appreciate the work that went into creating them almost a century ago!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gshu