DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Only vision mode

Alesbru

Reactions
Hello everyone, yesterday I decided to fly a bit with my old Mavic Pro (1) after 3 month of stop and I had a problem: even though the GPS was connected to enough satellites (> 12) DJI go4 told me to fly in " Vision Mode "; I tried several times to turn off the RC and the Mavic; I solved turning off and removing the battery: at that point, with the same number of satellites I was able to take off in GPS mode with the home point acquired.
Has this ever happened to anyone?
Thanks for your help

@Alesbru sometimes after a long period of inactivity the electronics in the IMU can get sluggish and appear to stick ,and it needs a bit of a slap on the back so to speak to wake things up so after giving it some movement it comes back on line ,was it stored in a warm dry place during its inactivity

Reactions: Thomas B
Never ever seen a "vision mode" error, was it a vision system error ?
Which means your obstacle avoidance sensors are not working for some reason.

1613875602058.png

Sorry for delay and many thanks for your answers; I don't have had a "Vision error", but the problem was that even though the GPS was connected to enough satellites (> 12) DJI go4 showed me to fly in " Vision Mode ", without saving home point.
To Old Man: have you had the same problem?
Thank you again, best regards.

@Alesbru sounds like a glitch with the communications between the various sensors and the IMU itself ,the fact that it reset itself after you had done a hard shutdown, seems to confirm this, probably due to the long period of inactivity

Sorry for delay and many thanks for your answers; I don't have had a "Vision error", but the problem was that even though the GPS was connected to enough satellites (> 12) DJI go4 showed me to fly in " Vision Mode ", without saving home point.
Your description is confusing.
But your flight data should clear up the issue.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: old man mavic
Exscuse me for my bad english... here are the 3 Flight Log with the problem and the fourth (bigger one) which is ok; as I can see the logs shows P-GPS, but on the DJIgo4 the message was : "Vision mode" without the audio message "home updated".
I see the correct map location only on the fourth log, on the other 3 I was in the center on the world map.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-14_[16-52-33].txt
    162.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-14_[16-58-42].txt
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-14_[17-05-26].txt
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-14_[17-09-31].txt
    918.5 KB · Views: 1
here are the 3 Flight Log with the problem and the fourth (bigger one) which is ok; as I can see the logs shows P-GPS, but on the DJIgo4 the message was : "Vision mode" without the audio message "home updated".
Looking at one of your flights that doesn't show your location.
This is because the drone never had drone health >0.
It needs to be 4 or 5 before the flight controller accepts the GPS data.
GPS Health is a combination of the number of satellites and how well they are spread across the sky.
If they are well spread, that's good.
But if they are clustered close together, that isn't good.

The number of satellites was up to 14 but you never increased the altitude past 2 metres.
To get good GPS reception the drone needs a clear view of most of the sky so it can see a lot of satellites.

If you were in a place where much of the sky was blocked by buildings, trees etc, and only a small part of the sky was open, that would explain this.
I see the correct map location only on the fourth log, on the other 3 I was in the center on the world map.
The second flight I looked at, had 13-14 satellites to start but as the drone went higher nad was able to see more of the sky, the number of sats increased to 25.

When the drone doesn't have good GPS data, it uses the downward facing sensors to give stability. (Vision Mode).
The drone was indicating that it was using Vision Mode because GPS was not available.

Take the drone to a more open area to fly and it should pick up satellite reception quickly, record a home point and have full position holding ability.

Ok, I know the differences between GPS, Vision, Atti Mode, but the take off point was the same of countless flights from there (in front of my house) : I never had this problem before, but it was 3 months without use of my Mavic Pro, it's possible that this is the cause?
If you see the 2nd flight there are 15 satellities loocked, it is not enough?

If you see the 2nd flight there are 15 satellities locked, it is not enough?
That flight had 13-15 satellites but GPS Health stayed at zero for the whole time.
The altitude never went higher than 1.3 metres.
The number of satellites isn't what's important
The flight controller assesses the quality of the satellite data and rates the GPS Health.
When the flight controller approves of the data, and rates it 4 or 5, the drone will go into GPS Mode.

My feeling is that your location is the reason for the problem.
The simple way to check whether this is correct would be to take the drone to another place where it is out in the open, away from walls, buildings, trees etc and see if it will go to GPS mode sitting on the ground.

If you get the same thing happening out in in open location, the issue is something else.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato