DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Operating" a drone in a space versus just "flying over" a space

So, if I understand what @sar104 is saying, you can legally fly a drone over a property like a national park or any other area that claims to not allow drones, so long as you don't take off or land in them?
The other point that was made is that you can be prohibited from operating the drone within the park. In this context, "Operate" means more-or-less "hold the controller and manipulate it while standing on the property in question"

The idea is that property owners or governments are clearly allowed to make rules that regulate what you can do while you're on their land. They probably can't regulate what you do in the airspace above their land (though the avigation easement idea may, depending on how legislatures and courts rule, allow landowners to have some rights to regulate some airspace over their property).

So if you live next to a park, you can legally take off and land in your yard, and you can stand in your yard while you're operating your drone. You can fly your drone above the park, without running afoul of FAA rules, (assuming there's not an issue of flying over people, entering controlled airspace, or some other situation prohibited by the FAA). But the park is allowed to prohibit you from entering their land while you're holding the controller that's controlling that drone. In other words, they can prohibit you from "operating" the drone from their land.

Of course the FAA requires you to maintain VLOS. Having to stay outside the park boundaries while maintaining VLOS may have the effect of denying access to some low-altitude airspace, depending on the terrain.

You may have noticed from my avatar....I'm in Canada. The equivalent of 107 is "advanced" license here. I'm strictly a recreational flyer.
Yes I did notice you’re from Canada. I was just clarifying a statement.

Operating doesn't mean the drone only where the pilot is operating/standing. I have to fly my local parks lake from a nearby public road. Gots big gators
Kewl. See ya in a while.....sorry, couldn't help it.

I'm in Canada. The equivalent of 107 is "advanced" license here. I'm strictly a recreational flyer.
There is no distinction between recreational or commercial RPAS flying in Canada, only Basic or Advanced (and micro). Anything weighing 250grams to 25kg must be registered and to fly requires at least a Basic Operations Certificate. Basic operations are not permitted within any control zone, for that you need an Advanced Operations Certificate.

You can do commercial operations or recreational with either Basic or Advanced certificates, or even no certificate at all if you fly a micro-RPA under 250grams. For example, there's no law preventing you from doing real estate work with your Mavic Mini.

Some cities and counties have certain setbacks or rules. I beleive Orlando Florida says you must not operate, land or take off within 500 feet of a county or city park. No county can regulate flying through certain airspace. You don't fly over airspace, especially when flying under 400' as the only airspace there is B, C, D, E or G from the surface to more than 400'.

Some counties and cities like to write their drone regulations in a way that makes them confusing. Like the
"No person shall operate a drone below the altitude of four hundred (400) feet above the land surface of any park" verbiage. They will say that you can't operate it while the aircraft is below 400' while on city/county land. They just like to make it ambiguous to hopefully keep the uninformed from flying below 400'. Legally they can't stop you as long as you have the right to take off and operate where you are standing. However, if you crash in the park then you could have issues.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929