DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions Please?

These drone cameras are not really very good quality like a NIKON or Canon so...you take what you can get....these are not bad ( I am not a good photographer at all...and I have a good DSLR camera)..I am not saying I could do any better...and I don't save anything to my phone....I put them on my computer and use a free editing program, Irfanview, that lets me do quite a bit with the photos...pretty good for a free App....how about a full picture of whatever that cute thing in your avatar is?..is it a seal?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
These drone cameras are not really very good quality like a NIKON or Canon so...you take what you can get....these are not bad ( I am not a good photographer at all...and I have a good DSLR camera)..I am not saying I could do any better...and I don't save anything to my phone....I put them on my computer and use a free editing program, Irfanview, that lets me do quite a bit with the photos...pretty good for a free App....how about a full picture of whatever that cute thing in your avatar is?..is it a seal?
I download everything onto my computer unless I want a copy first in which case I download it to my phone. I shall have to have a look at that program myself.

And that cute thing is a polar bear but I see the seal resemblance, here.

Attachments

• images (5).jpg
    images (5).jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Whether you choose to do video or stills is a matter "purpose". Sometimes a photo can tell enough of a story where video of the same subject might be seen as beating a dead horse to death.

This weekend I was invited to fly over a party before it got started. Absolutely nothing going on, and as much as I would have liked to have shot exciting video footage, it would have been more trouble than it was worth. I could have forced a video, but to what end? Sometimes, simply, less is more.

I might be in the minority here, but along with telling a story and framing, try less altitude. The temptation is to always go high, but I think you can get a much more dramatic shot by being lower down in many cases. Your last image, to me at least, would have been more interesting lower down.

Just a thought

I try avoiding intentionally capturing houses which are recognisable. Not trying to upset anyone like that, since I could get myself into some trouble if I got too close for example.

But indeed it is a thought, one I now want to see and try for myself. I suspect I shall have to wait until the weekend to do it though, since Thursday is my day off from college and waking up every fifteen minutes after five is starting to kill me, otherwise I would go get the sunrise.

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
What do we think of these ones? The edit is pretty obvious.

Attachments

• AB0EC4BF-66E5-40B5-9260-9BB4A19AD5D9.jpeg
    AB0EC4BF-66E5-40B5-9260-9BB4A19AD5D9.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 5
  • D906F6C4-2B56-4F3D-A821-3E9ADDC53107.jpeg
    D906F6C4-2B56-4F3D-A821-3E9ADDC53107.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
What do we think of these ones? The edit is pretty obvious.

Now your making some progress, good to experiment with the tools available.
This was on the iphone photos editing ?

I personally feel the photo is a little 'over cooked', too great a saturation / colour.
Slightly less would look more natural, and that is what you are after when editing (in general), making the photo look more realistic to what your saw with your own eyes.

I like the image generally, but since you asked, I think a critique might help you in the future.

I think you have to be more judicious in evaluating your edits. Have you looked at the histogram? Below you will see your image with a histogram on top of the original image (which I may have altered a tad). Your image is clearly over-exposed, the #1 no-no of digital imaging. If you look at the histogram, you've spiked the highlights (on the right) in which detail is unrecoverable. On the left you will see some space that indicates you did not capture any blacks without detail.

The first thing I noticed is that you should simply bump your black point, which will help a lot. the mid tones appear to be find and the contrast will come back by bumping the blacks. However, the white buildings, while they can be lowered a bit in tone will always have a painted look because there is no white with detail in the file. A rule of thumb in digital exposure; it is better to be a bit underexposed than overexposed. NEVER overexpose and image unless you have an intentional purpose for doing so. An HDR merge might be one reason for doing so. or some special effect. But I can't think of any other instance.

Compositionally, I think when you decided to capture images, look for a central point of interest and ask yourself "Why am I taking this image?". Asking yourself this on each and every shot, until it becomes natural instinct will help make your images more dynamic.

1631745726419.png

Now your making some progress, good to experiment with the tools available.
This was on the iphone photos editing ?

I personally feel the photo is a little 'over cooked', too great a saturation / colour.
Slightly less would look more natural, and that is what you are after when editing (in general), making the photo look more realistic to what your saw with your own eyes.
Yes, just off my iPhone setting.

I took a few things down a little. Any better?

1631778750774.jpeg

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I like the image generally, but since you asked, I think a critique might help you in the future.

I think you have to be more judicious in evaluating your edits. Have you looked at the histogram? Below you will see your image with a histogram on top of the original image (which I may have altered a tad). Your image is clearly over-exposed, the #1 no-no of digital imaging. If you look at the histogram, you've spiked the highlights (on the right) in which detail is unrecoverable. On the left you will see some space that indicates you did not capture any blacks without detail.

The first thing I noticed is that you should simply bump your black point, which will help a lot. the mid tones appear to be find and the contrast will come back by bumping the blacks. However, the white buildings, while they can be lowered a bit in tone will always have a painted look because there is no white with detail in the file. A rule of thumb in digital exposure; it is better to be a bit underexposed than overexposed. NEVER overexpose and image unless you have an intentional purpose for doing so. An HDR merge might be one reason for doing so. or some special effect. But I can't think of any other instance.

Compositionally, I think when you decided to capture images, look for a central point of interest and ask yourself "Why am I taking this image?". Asking yourself this on each and every shot, until it becomes natural instinct will help make your images more dynamic.

View attachment 134941
Thank you, how would I get a histogram up myself if I wanted to?

You want opinions so,.. I see just pictures. Nothing eye catching, but that has to do with lack of composition or a specific subject. They need better color grading, I think. A better balance with saturation. They just don't "pop" if you know what I mean. You could always use post style effects or custom filters, but I'm not sure if that's what you like. If I wanted someone to look at them, I would consider over exaggerating the colors, add filters and other effects, but without losing too much of the realism.

As a photographer of some 60 years, many of them as a professional, I'm a "tough crowd". That said, I have learned the most from those who have been highly and thoughtfully critical. It's with that thought in mind that I share my observations, below.

I would judge the photos you posted as mediocre and amateur. Many things need improvement in order to make them interesting or compelling. The first one is blurry. The sky is blown out, overexposed, especially on the right. I get no sense of much thought to exposure and have even less of a sense that any exposure control has been exercised. There is no center of interest. The eye wanders all over looking for one instead of being led to it. The colors are weak as is the composition. It looks like it might be a little cockeyed, leaning to the right. While sometimes lens flare is used as an intentional technique, here it appears uncontrolled, distracting, and potentially accidental.

The skies in most of the photos are blown out. The eye is attracted to contrast and bright things. In your third photo the sky is very nearly pure white on the top right. The viewer's eye is attracted to that but there is nothing of interest there. I like the green field and the geometric pattern of the houses to its left in the center of the photo. I would have found a photo of those two things, cropping out the rest, a much more interesting and compelling photo because both the color and geometry have interest. The juxtaposition of a the housing tract and empty field presents a thought provoking contrast.

Overall I would say the photos exhibit a lack of understanding of exposure control and composition. If someone were to ask me how to improve the work I would suggest classes in photographic and artistic principles and their applications. I would say look at the work of recognized pros and masters; join a group. Look at lots of photographs thinking about what makes them good, or not so good. It's not my intent to be harsh, but rather to offer some comments based on a lifetime of involvement in photography in the hopes they may prove useful to you.

I would also say kudos to you for reaching out for a critique. That shows an open mind and desire to learn, both of which are necessary to improve oneself.

Reactions: RGallant
As a photographer of some 60 years, many of them as a professional, I'm a "tough crowd". That said, I have learned the most from those who have been highly and thoughtfully critical. It's with that thought in mind that I share my observations, below.

I would judge the photos you posted as mediocre and amateur. Many things need improvement in order to make them interesting or compelling. The first one is blurry. The sky is blown out, overexposed, especially on the right. I get no sense of much thought to exposure and have even less of a sense that any exposure control has been exercised. There is no center of interest. The eye wanders all over looking for one instead of being led to it. The colors are weak as is the composition. It looks like it might be a little cockeyed, leaning to the right. While sometimes lens flare is used as an intentional technique, here it appears uncontrolled, distracting, and potentially accidental.

The skies in most of the photos are blown out. The eye is attracted to contrast and bright things. In your third photo the sky is very nearly pure white on the top right. The viewer's eye is attracted to that but there is nothing of interest there. I like the green field and the geometric pattern of the houses to its left in the center of the photo. I would have found a photo of those two things, cropping out the rest, a much more interesting and compelling photo because both the color and geometry have interest. The juxtaposition of a the housing tract and empty field presents a thought provoking contrast.

Overall I would say the photos exhibit a lack of understanding of exposure control and composition. If someone were to ask me how to improve the work I would suggest classes in photographic and artistic principles and their applications. I would say look at the work of recognized pros and masters; join a group. Look at lots of photographs thinking about what makes them good, or not so good. It's not my intent to be harsh, but rather to offer some comments based on a lifetime of involvement in photography in the hopes they may prove useful to you.

I would also say kudos to you for reaching out for a critique. That shows an open mind and desire to learn, both of which are necessary to improve oneself.

Thank you. Especially for the last part.

@RussOnTheRoad thanks for taking the time to post that, I do have a question and it something I think many of us struggle with. Interest and composition, I have read a great deal and looked at a large number of photos, but in your experience how do you draw the eye to something that may be interesting to you but not others.

I realize that is a huge topic but could add some suggestions ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas