DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

optimal Sharpening and NR settings with latest firmware

molonel

Reactions
About a year ago I found a thread or article which discussed the best settings for sharpening and noise reduction. 'Best' meaning in general of course, since very specific shooting situations might require to adapt the settings accordingly.
The consensus at that time was
Sharpness: -2
NR: -1
This is obviously assuming that post processing is intended.

I haven't flown my drone in many months, and a few FW updates have been released ever since. When I recently recorded footage again with these settings, I felt the video clips looked softer than before. This might be an illusion, unfortunately I am on a trip and have no access to my post processing PC to check if it is recoverable.

So bottom line: would you still say above settings are generally the best starting point, or has something changed which might suggest different values to be the better choice - at least as starting point?

I shoot only in DNG/RAW and do not even download the jpg files. DJI's DNG files take very little post processing and look so much better than their jpgs. If I am goiing to post them I then save a copy as a down sized jpg is a file just for web posting. Stan

Reactions: Felix le Chat
I shoot only in DNG/RAW and do not even download the jpg files. DJI's DNG files take very little post processing and look so much better than their jpgs. If I am goiing to post them I then save a copy as a down sized jpg is a file just for web posting. Stan

I tried to upload a sample of a DNG and JPG but the forum will not take the DNG file. If you have photo shop or photo shop elements set your drone to record DNG and you will get both and can compare them side by side in photo shop and the difference will be clear. Stan

I was probably not clear enough: the question is refering to video, not photo. For photo, I totally agree with you that working with RAWs is the only way. For video though, the sharpness and NR settings are baked in, so picking sub-optimal values might be difficult to impossible to correct in post processing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown