DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oregon State park rules changing

Brownman

Reactions
Recently a large group of (experts) had a Zoom meeting talking about changes to drone rules in Oregon’s State Parks. Sounds like more restrictions are on the horizon for those of us who fly.

Recently a large group of (experts) had a Zoom meeting talking about changes to drone rules in Oregon’s State Parks. Sounds like more restrictions are on the horizon for those of us who fly.
My business partner (Kenji Sugahara) is on that call. We'll be rallying the troops when it's time to make sure that doesn't happen. Kenji has a lot of pull there.

I doubt the new rules will be onerous.

What changes are being considered?

I hope they don’t limit it too much. Last summer I was flying at Yaquina Head Lighthouse and a park ranger told me I wasn’t allowed to fly. I put it away even though I had checked the regulations online and I didn’t see any restrictions. Flying with in reason of course. I did get six minutes of great footage before he showed up. 👍🏻

Reactions: skycam509
I heard them talking about limited take off and landing zones. Also limiting areas around nesting birds or even no fly periods when birds are nesting.

Reactions: Papa_G
What changes are being considered?
They're considering re-writing the rules. Different parties want different things.

But Kenji said that Oregon Parks has said flat out that they consider drones a form of recreation, and they should be allowed in the parks.

We'll see what the compromise is. But the Parks Department is on our side. Or at least some of them are.

They're considering re-writing the rules. Different parties want different things.

But Kenji said that Oregon Parks has said flat out that they consider drones a form of recreation, and they should be allowed in the parks.

We'll see what the compromise is. But the Parks Department is on our side. Or at least some of them are.
Thanks for the info, Vic! Glad to hear that Oregon Parks are being reasonable about it, and I hope the end result is favorable for drone pilots. The drone rules for state parks here in Florida are absolutely draconian. And since it seems that almost every stretch of land in the state that has any sort of natural beauty has been designated as a state park, opportunities are really limited here. Maybe someday that will change, but I’m not holding my breath. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info, Vic! Glad to hear that Oregon Parks are being reasonable about it, and I hope the end result is favorable for drone pilots. The drone rules for state parks here in Florida are absolutely draconian. And since it seems that almost every stretch of land in the state that has any sort of natural beauty has been designated as a state park, opportunities are really limited here. Maybe someday that will change, but I’m not holding my breath. Thanks again!
Yeha, they suck here in Colorado too. With Kenji on the committee, we have a fighter. I have no doubt he will prevail. And we'll put the word out for support (emails, letters, etc.) when it's needed.

This has national consequences. If Oregon is reasonable, it would be a great model for other states.

Reactions: Papa_G and Wade L.
This has national consequences. If Oregon is reasonable, it would be a great model for other states.
That’s exactly my hope. I’d certainly be willing to chip in with an email/letter if the need arises and input from non-Oregonians would have an effect. Just let us know!

Reactions: Papa_G and Vic Moss
Yeha, they suck here in Colorado too. With Kenji on the committee, we have a fighter. I have no doubt he will prevail. And we'll put the word out for support (emails, letters, etc.) when it's needed.

"If Oregon is reasonable,..." Perhaps you've never heard of our governor or legislature?

As Kodiak said, they banned drone flying in and around Smith Rock State Park. They lost that a couple years ago as the park department doesn't have the authority and the FAA wouldn't back them. But, it only took a couple of months for them to work with the fish and wildlife and they reinstated the ban to protect sensitive bird nesting sites so there is still a blanket ban from January 1 through July 31 each year. While technically this would allow drone flying august on...the park department also has a noise ordinance. “Activities or conduct which constitutes a public nuisance or hazard”. Basically they enforce this two ways. Firstly, drones disturb the serenity of the area for hikers with their noise (the same applies to someone playing a radio). The second is that a drone could distract a climber thus creating a hazard. The bottom line is if anyone complains (and they can find the operator) it's a $110 fine.

Reactions: Papa_G
Drones have been banned at Smith Rock since 2014 so some of them are definitely not reasonable.
Not quite true, drones are banned during the Raptor nesting season and the State Parks system posts the closure dates. From the State Parks Smith Rock Page: "Some climbing areas are closed or have limited access from about Jan. 15 to Aug. 1 to protect nesting raptors. Drones are also not allowed during this period. Check the park advisories on this page for exact dates and affected areas. "

I flew there over the New Years holiday with a Park employee next to me chatting about drones.

Cheers!

I honestly think for the most part, it will be a good thing for the Drone Community. Some parks will remain closed to drones (Seal Rock, Yaquina Head Lighthouse to name just 2) many others will be open with restrictions on location of use. Such as not flying in Campgrounds, or parking lots and keeping a safe distance from people, vehicles and wild life. But that not only is common sense but being courteous to your fellow visitors.

The main concern for the State Park system is safety and protection of wildlife, which I'm confident can be done.

Cheers!

Reactions: Wade L.
A quick point of clarification.

Some on the committee want to restrict drones to certain areas. Such as drone parks and similar areas. Kenji is stating that is the exact opposite of what is needed. We don't go to a state park or national forest to fly in a drone park. We can do that anywhere.

Our argument is that areas need to be (reasonably) labeled as no drone zones. Things like crowded parking lots and raptor nesting areas. The rest should be open to drones, with the operator being ultimately responsible for "flying friendly".

Restricting drones to certain area defeats the purpose. Restricting drone from certain areas is a better and more reasonable approach.

Drones have been banned at Smith Rock since 2014 so some of them are definitely not reasonable.
I can see smith rock from my ranch. I’m in between smith rock and the redmond airport. DJI fly safe says I’m ok to fly at my ranch but I haven’t looked at smith rock. Love that place. Also haven’t even thought about flying there as I tend to avoid people and that place draws folks from all over.

Reactions: db4476
I can see smith rock from my ranch. I’m in between smith rock and the redmond airport. DJI fly safe says I’m ok to fly at my ranch but I haven’t looked at smith rock.
Relying on DJI Fly Safe to determine the legality of the area isn't a good approach. GEO Fence is just a DJI system designed to keep drones out of dangerous areas (airports, CI, DOD, etc.) and doesn't take into account any local or ground based laws and regulations.
Love that place. Also haven’t even thought about flying there as I tend to avoid people and that place draws folks from all over.

Relying on DJI Fly Safe to determine the legality of the area isn't a good approach. GEO Fence is just a DJI system designed to keep drones out of dangerous areas (airports, CI, DOD, etc.) and doesn't take into account any local or ground based laws and regulations.
Copy on that. I also use AirMap and am very aware that the flight for life heli’s are in the area often. Never out of VLOS and with two strobes. And since I’m mostly checking my cattle, I’m hardly ever above 80’. Hard to see specifics from too high. But agreed, was mostly stating I haven’t come accross any problems and I’m 15 min to the park. Also never even thought of flying there after living in Cali and being under the impression state parks are a no go. Tend to avoid parks and stick to large private properties.

Reactions: db4476 and Vic Moss
I haven't flown at Smith Rock either. I don't even climb there anymore (or anywhere). It just always irritates me when Z21 does a news story because some "Karen" reports dangerous drones being flown around Smith Rock. Approximately mid summer they had some footage of a "rouge drone" being flown in the park while people were on a dangerous climb and it could have distracted them and made them fall. "Karen" provided the footage of the drone and made the complaint. No comments from the people climbing. And...they were unable to locate the operator of the drone so anyone with information could contact the station.

They did a story about this committee around Christmas time. I believe they even briefly interviewed Kenji Sugahara. What sticks with me was they reported that there are proven cases of drones "slaming into the cliffs" near climbers, endagering them. Though they did say that there has never been a report that drones ever caused anyone to fall. They clearly pointed out OAR 736-010-0040.8(a) that forbids: "Using or operating any noise producing machine, vehicle, device or instrument in a manner that disturbs or may disturb other park visitors..." and provided phone numbers to call if you encountered such an evil device.

Reactions: db4476

Vic,

Can you point me to the Colorado regulations? I plan on being there this summer - I spent my 1st 42 years there

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada