DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orientation Icon

Laborous

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’m using an Ipad Mini 5 (without cell service} to fly my Mavic Mini. Today as I was flying, the orientation icon would stop working and drop to the bottom of the circle pointing at 6:00. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Is it because it is using my Ipads location service and the Ipad is picking up a wi-fi signal on and off?

When this happens on my Android, and is now part of my start of flight routine:
Simply perform big horizontal 'eight' movements with the arm having the remote (with the phone, on it).
This recalibrates the phone/remote compass with currentt magnetic environment.
Then the orientation indicator is ok.
Let me know if it works for you.

Reactions: Nonprophet
Thanks, I’ll try it tomorrow!

I am having the EXACT same problem! I have tried:
1. Recalibrating the Drone's compass (Several times)
2. Recalibrating the IMU
3. Recalibrating my phone's compass
4. Refreshing the firmware using DJI assistant

Nothing works!!

I agree. I’ve resorted to using the map and the home point arrow. Once you rotate the arrow towards the home point, you’ll know the direction the drone is facing.

There are several other threads on this same topic. Mostly it's a problem with the phone/tablet compass sensor being affected by the magnetic field emitted from the MM controller. Figure-of-8 calibration of the phone/tablet compass while it is clipped in can sometimes fix it. Removing watches/belt buckles/jewelry or other similar objects may also be a fix.

The indicator seems to like having a GPS fix from the device for devices that do have GPS. I'm not sure what it does on devices that have no GPS such as your model of the ipad mini 5. Perhaps it was sometimes getting a coarse location fix via wifi, as you suggest? Does the indicator work when wifi is switched off on the ipad?

Mostly it's a problem with the phone/tablet compass sensor being affected by the magnetic field emitted from the MM controller.
Problem is only with Mavic Mini controller?
Other Mavic drones doesn't have this problem with Orientation Icon?

Wish I could help, but my iPad mini 5 has WiFi + cellular and works great...no problem with orientation icon.

I have the same problem with the MA2...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki