DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Original props still in use

Aaron24

Reactions
I am still using the original set of props that I got with my M2 Zoom which I bought when it was first launched in 2018. I check before each flight but as I have had no hard landings or crashes they still look new with no scratches, damage or nicks in them. Do you think its ok to continue to use them or should I replace them with one of the other sets that came with the fly more package?

Total of about 86 flights, about 25 hours total flight time.

• Wow
Reactions: Skyflyer129
If it’s not broke don’t fix it. As inexpensive as they are if you feel more comfortable replacing them go ahead. I’m still running the original props.

Reactions: sbenoit540
You've gotten your money's worth out of them. Good preventative maintenance will keep your flights safe.

Visual inspection may not expose micro cracks at the attachment points.

A set of 4 blades is $30. That's cheap insurance to help prevent your drone from falling out of the sky unexpectedly.

Per Airdata.com...

Basic Drone Service Customize Service Triggered by any of the following:
Flights:20

Number of flights with this drone since the last Basic serviceAirtime:200 minutes

Total airtime in minutes with this drone since the last Basic service Recommended Service Items:

Aircraft Inspection

While it is recommended to inspect the aircraft before each flight, the Basic drone inspection is a little more thorough:

Look for cracks in the outer shell, specifically around the motors which are more prone to cracks

Check visually that all screws are in place and are tight

Inspect the propellers and look for broken pieces, bent blades or other damage

Thanks for that, can you please provide a link to that information on airdata.com as I could not find it, thanks in advance.

In Airdata, if you click on 'Equipment' and then 'Maintenance', look over in the left margin and you'll see the various scheduled maintenance inspections. Click on 'Service List'.

1589055023521.png

Reactions: chuck1026
Do you think its ok to continue to use them or should I replace them with one of the other sets that came with the fly more package?
It's safe to continue using them as long as you're checking them carefully for damage prior to each flight. A set of props can become damaged even after one use, so there is really no set time frame to replace them.

I also have the original props on my 2018 M2P. 210 flts, 22 hrs. But have the same concerns, the mounting lugs seem so tinny. I gently flick each lug and wiggle the hinges before connecting (I remove props after each flight). So far everything looks good.

Reactions: chuck1026
Yes I'm the same checking each time before flight and they keep lasting, never had any problems and bird just fly like just out of the box, it's amazing whether it flies one mile or two and a half and so quiet, I'm the newbie with only 18 hours.

When you inspect your props, be sure to check the condition of the blades as well as the riveted pivot points. Gently twisting each blade would reveal any possible cracks to the blades themselves as well as the inner flanges through which the rivets pass.

The other issue with older props is possible wear to the prop hubs and the mounting brackets attached to each motor. With the props properly installed, I hold each motor still and gently rotate the inner prop hub both CW and CCW. With new props on new mounts, there is very little to sometimes no play at all when you do this. Over time however, a millimeter or so of play can develop, and the more play there is, wear will occur faster. Every time the copter accelerates and/or brakes to a stop, the prop hubs and mounting brackets are twisting and wearing against each other, so this play should be checked often, especially if Sports Mode is often used. If the play becomes much more that a millimeter or so, the first step is a new prop. If this does not eliminate the play, then the mounting brackets may also need to be replaced.

This all may seem like obsessive overkill to some, but having a prop failure in flight will always end up in a crash, and inspecting them as noted above will almost certainly prevent this from occurring.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Good points Brockrock. I have also put small white dots on the prop and the hub that align when the prop is correctly attached. One reason for this is that my checklist, originally developed for the Inspire included "check props, dots aligned". I used a tooth pick and white enamel paint. (being careful not to drop paint into the motor :)

Reactions: Brockrock
In the world on manned, commercial aircraft maintenance, if a part such as a propeller is generally considered to have a typical service life of 4000 flight hours, that part is replaced at 2000 hours. That's a 50% safety factor. Just something to consider.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections