DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Other People's Etiquette Around Drones

Wow...I haven't been flying for that long, but as a professional photographer, I'm regularly approached by people who want to chat about equipment and technique. I find I can stay focused and still answer a couple of questions, but if it gets out of hand, or I'm particularly involved in something difficult., I simply say so. In almost 30 years of photography, I've never had anyone fail to respect my wishes...I would hope that will be true with Drones as well.

I have never found it hard to politely tell the person that I need to focus on what I'm doing. They don't want to bother you, they just want to share an interest and it happens to be something I'm passionate about. That's pretty cool. I love what I do, so I enjoy talking about it.

As for people handling my equipment, I'm OK with it...but I treat them like they've never handled anything like it before...so if I hand them my camera, I'm going to put the strap around their neck...and I'm likely to say, "Don't touch the lens"...seriously. I would rather them look at me as if to say, "Do you think I'm an idiot" than get into a situation where someone puts their fingers on my lenses. I'm also likely to maintain control of it as they touch it...and only let it go when I know they've got the hang of it. And I never take my eyes off of them while they're holding something of mine.

I'm not looking to be an ambassador, but I am a social creature. I enjoy writing and reading in forums and learning from my peers. I enjoy the opportunity to provide information that someone else is interested in and I would hope others will share with me.

To me, it's not a nuisance, it's part of the allure of the activity.

I had a business where I used to sell ATV performance parts. It was extremely popular and everybody, I mean EVERYBODY would come up to me on the dunes and talk about it. This would go for at least 5 to 10 hours in one day. Shortly before I sold the business, I went out on the dunes and kept my helmet on after I stopped to take in the view of the sunrise. 2 minutes after I stopped, someone else came up right next to me and said, "Hey arent you that On-Dunes guy? What do you think about ......" I sold it two weeks later and never regretted it.

I never post a full face photo or vid of myself on my channel or my vids. I just want to do the project and am not at all interested in being a full time ambassador. Why? I have real work to do.

And theres the difference.. You're working. So that should be the end of the conversation there. " Sorry Im working and need to stay focused, and my battery supply is limited" And carry on. Or simply look them in the face for a brief second and say" Your wife hired me to follow you"..LOL

Wow...I haven't been flying for that long, but as a professional photographer, I'm regularly approached by people who want to chat about equipment and technique. I find I can stay focused and still answer a couple of questions, but if it gets out of hand, or I'm particularly involved in something difficult., I simply say so. In almost 30 years of photography, I've never had anyone fail to respect my wishes...I would hope that will be true with Drones as well.

I have never found it hard to politely tell the person that I need to focus on what I'm doing. They don't want to bother you, they just want to share an interest and it happens to be something I'm passionate about. That's pretty cool. I love what I do, so I enjoy talking about it.

As for people handling my equipment, I'm OK with it...but I treat them like they've never handled anything like it before...so if I hand them my camera, I'm going to put the strap around their neck...and I'm likely to say, "Don't touch the lens"...seriously. I would rather them look at me as if to say, "Do you think I'm an idiot" than get into a situation where someone puts their fingers on my lenses. I'm also likely to maintain control of it as they touch it...and only let it go when I know they've got the hang of it. And I never take my eyes off of them while they're holding something of mine.

I'm not looking to be an ambassador, but I am a social creature. I enjoy writing and reading in forums and learning from my peers. I enjoy the opportunity to provide information that someone else is interested in and I would hope others will share with me.

To me, it's not a nuisance, it's part of the allure of the activity.

"I haven't been flying for that long" ..... there you go. Plus I am definitely NOT OK with other people that I don't know handling my camera equipment. I've lost a camera due to this (stolen). Thanks for your opinion, but I am social in regards to photography on social on media such as YouTube, Instagram and Twitter, and even social when having a meet up. I am happy to talk with fans on my Facebook page as well and even in person when not shooting. But when I am working, I don't believe the two mix very well especially when flying. A flying camera is a lot to control especially when out a 1/2 mile away, wind is 15-20 mph, and I am skimming the ocean and avoiding the swells taking a video of surfers catching a wave. I've been a photographer for 20 years and for 5 of it, working for a magazine. Drone videography is different. You have to get more "in-camera" for a longer period of time and you are working the remote with six of your fingers at the same time.

Also, you probably haven't done a lot of field work in questionable places. I shoot a lot of abandoned sites full of graffiti and once in a while a homeless group is also nearby. If I get called by a person to come over and talk with them while at one of these sites, I keep walking. I am able to defend myself if needed with the tools that I carry. But I would prefer to avoid a conflict. I also shoot at 3am when ghost hunting. Many times a younger crowd is also there doing the same thing and they see me and my equipment as an opportunity. My experience has shown me they have a group of people that is ready to take my ****. I'm not the only YouTuber that feels this way. Many popular YouTubers have had a direct experience with this and even put it in their videos.

This is one of the reasons why I don't have some of the equipment they do. One of the popular videographer cameras is the Sony a7S II. With lenses, its easily around $4000. Add a drone and the equipment in your pack can be $5K to $6K. My videographer camera is only about $800. If lost or stolen, its a little easier to replace.

Where I shoot, you have to have to be street smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an example of what happened the last time I flew and a guy walked up..... I ended up in the clouds! LOL Just a little unfocused for a short period of time and yes, ended up RTH....VideoInClouds.jpg

If you are anti social and dont want to talk to strangers, get one of those bright yellow "stay away from me" vests, or set up a perimeter with signs and orange cones. If that is out of your price range, a few massive well placed facial twitches, maybe a fake display of turrets syndrome? Talking to yourself about weird subjects will also serve as people repellent.
Wear a sign that says "homeless, need help" That keeps people at a distance as well. :D

Reactions: Fried Toast
Wear a shirt that says "I'm antisocial, leave me alone."
All jokes aside, your title should be "My etiquette when flying a drone." Others aren't going to know "drone etiquette." You are a representative of the drone community and should be helpful and explain what your doing if they have a question. Its not a big deal. You don't even have to take your eyes off your screen. If you truly can't do two things at once, just say "I'm a little predisposed at the moment, give me 5 mins and I'll tell you anything you want to know." That's if they are friendly...;)

All jokes aside, your title should be "My etiquette when flying a drone." Others aren't going to know "drone etiquette." You are a representative of the drone community and should be helpful and explain what your doing if they have a question. Its not a big deal. You don't even have to take your eyes off your screen. If you truly can't do two things at once, just say "I'm a little predisposed at the moment, give me 5 mins and I'll tell you anything you want to know." That's if they are friendly...;)

Thanks but I disagree for the reasons already stated.

Clearly this forum was the wrong place to ask. You definitely have some jerks here. I'm done. Remove my membership now please
This explains your discomfort for human interaction. Get the vest and cones......
In life not all discussions will be comfortable. Any time you have interaction with a stranger, things can go in a direction that makes you uncomfortable. Even in the digital world. The problem is not "drone saftey" when a stranger approaches you. Its your ability to engage in social interaction without being uncomfortable.

Last edited:
This explains your discomfort for human interaction. Get the vest and cones......
In life not all discussions will be comfortable. Any time you have interaction with a stranger, things can go in a direction that makes you uncomfortable. Even in the digital world. The problem is not "drone saftey" when a stranger approaches you. Its your ability to engage in social interaction without being uncomfortable.

I think that you are incorrect. It is about safety. I think that you are making assumptions that simply aren't true. I'm sorry that you can't see that. I'm approached by strangers 30-40 times a day but when flying its unsafe. Have a nice day. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't respond anymore.

I ordered the vest, and don't plan on wearing it anywhere but when I fly - unless I am around you. Just kidding.

I think that you are incorrect. It is about safety. I think that you are making assumptions that simply aren't true. I'm sorry that you can't see that. I'm approached by strangers 30-40 times a day but when flying its unsafe. Have a nice day. I would appreciate if you wouldn't respond anymore.
My last response....
You just threw a fit because you didnt like the interaction. I take that as a social disorder, that lead me to my comments. I have been approached several times. Always ends up a pleasant experience. NEVER felt the need to ask a forum for social interaction advice.
Good day!

You guys know that you can click the "ignore" button on a member profile and never see their posts again? It is a great way to co-exist on the forum even with differences of opinion.

It doesn't help when being thrown under the bus.

You guys know that you can click the "ignore" button on a member profile and never see their posts again? It is a great way to co-exist on the forum even with differences of opinion.
True, but that defeats the purpose of asking everyone for advice, If you think you know the answer and are not open to suggestions, dont ask the question in a public forum.

Another thing is this, why don't you have a blocking option? Ignore just doesn't cut it with jerks like him.

"I haven't been flying for that long" ..... there you go.
I'm not sure what "There ya go" is supposed to mean as it seems to indicate that my opinion doesn't have merit - my comments were based on my experience as a professional photographer for the past 30 years and therefore, regarding focus, attention, and social etiquette, have relevance.
Plus I am definitely NOT OK with other people that I don't know handling my camera equipment.
It really depends on my feelings about the person. I too, living around NYC and often shooting in Manhattan, have a pretty keen sense of people and also rely on my street smarts. But you know, if the bride's Uncle Louie asks to see how heavy my 1DX is, I'm not worried about him running away with it. Dropping it is another story...and you can be sure I'll be spotting him, but I'm still going to let him touch it.

The cost of professional equipment is daunting...I know as well. I'm regularly walking onto a job with over 15K worth of "stuff"...that's why it's all insured and why I work with assistants.
Where I shoot, you have to have to be street smart.
Good to be that way no matter where you shoot.

Peace.

I'm not sure what "There ya go" is supposed to mean as it seems to indicate that my opinion doesn't have merit - my comments were based on my experience as a professional photographer for the past 30 years and therefore, regarding focus, attention, and social etiquette, have relevance.

It really depends on my feelings about the person. I too, living around NYC and often shooting in Manhattan, have a pretty keen sense of people and also rely on my street smarts. But you know, if the bride's Uncle Louie asks to see how heavy my 1DX is, I'm not worried about him running away with it. Dropping it is another story...and you can be sure I'll be spotting him, but I'm still going to let him touch it.

The cost of professional equipment is daunting...I know as well. I'm regularly walking onto a job with over 15K worth of "stuff"...that's why it's all insured and why I work with assistants.

Good to be that way no matter where you shoot.

Peace.

What I meant by that is this....

"A flying camera is a lot to control especially when out a 1/2 mile away, wind is 15-20 mph, and I am skimming the ocean and avoiding the swells taking a video of surfers catching a wave." This is about flight safety and if you don't have that much experience with that, then you have to fall back on the photography side which I totally get. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't apply very well to the OP. I'm down with your opinion, it just doesn't speak to the safety issue. Like I said before I'm using 6 fingers to fly the drone and try to get the in camera action shot. I think the photo of my accidentally flying into the clouds should also help with your understanding. After taking the FAA course, safety is number one, and I think that puts everything else, including ambassadorship below that. The question was simply how to tell those that approach me, it wasn't to question the premise of the OP at all. I already am sure what the right thing is to do, just wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks

PS If you are seriously thinking about being a drone pilot and want to see what your are getting yourself into, I suggest at least taking one of the many FAA-type study courses out there. I went through the "Drone Launch" Program and that will put into perspective the difference between being a professional photographer and a professional drone pilot. Yes, your priorities will change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: highcastle
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro