DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Our Mavic 3 long GPS wait is over- well for me it is

Nice work in photoshop but other users on here will back my claim including the Dji Forum so again you can chose to believe it or not, it is your choice.
I can confirm Suren's claims are 100% true and correct . . .

Reactions: Suren and Bussty
  • Haha
Reactions: TonyPHX and Bussty
Never pulled the trigger on getting this Drone but I waited so long to get it now I see why I follow my gut it just makes you wonder why he’s critical points that you guys talk about especially the GPSWhich is a huge part DJI drones something like this would even happen after putting out so many drones before the m-3 came out,My expectations Of this drone have plummeted I’m sure the day will come where it’s all worked out all I’m saying is it just doesn’t seem right that the customer has to go through what you guys have been through insteadOf buying a drone that’s just near perfect which it should be just my opinion good luck guys
Hello Maven.!..., I totally agree with you, I think that DJI disrespected many of us who are consumers of their products, to my credit I have three pieces of equipment from this brand, Inspire 2, Phantom 4Pro and Mavic 2Pro, and With none of them I have memories of having as many Firmwere problems as it has been for those who have the M3, many of us longed for this new Mavic 3 to be released and that we could enjoy it, but unfortunately it was not, for all the comments, failures, and incidents or accidents that many users of this equipment have had in these 4 months since it was launched on the market, the solution to the "failures" or delays that this equipment has with the GPS will come, I have no doubt... The question that I pose to the community is: “When DJI launches a new drone on the market, will we rush to buy it for the benefits it claims to have… or will we take a prudent time and wait for the opinions of those who buy it and try it to see what such behaves ..?…sometimes being patient and waiting before buying….has its reward “….Greetings.!

Hello Maven.!..., I totally agree with you, I think that DJI disrespected many of us who are consumers of their products, to my credit I have three pieces of equipment from this brand, Inspire 2, Phantom 4Pro and Mavic 2Pro, and With none of them I have memories of having as many Firmwere problems as it has been for those who have the M3, many of us longed for this new Mavic 3 to be released and that we could enjoy it, but unfortunately it was not, for all the comments, failures, and incidents or accidents that many users of this equipment have had in these 4 months since it was launched on the market, the solution to the "failures" or delays that this equipment has with the GPS will come, I have no doubt... The question that I pose to the community is: “When DJI launches a new drone on the market, will we rush to buy it for the benefits it claims to have… or will we take a prudent time and wait for the opinions of those who buy it and try it to see what such behaves ..?…sometimes being patient and waiting before buying….has its reward “….Greetings.!
Expecting any DJI product to be perfect at launch is naive. Every one of your other three DJI drones had their growing pains, too, as bugs were squashed and features added. That generally takes 6 months to a year. 4 months is nothing in that timeline, especially where we were told from the beginning that not all Mavic 3 features would be available at launch. Patience, Grasshopper!

It's interesting there are a few posts on lack of image sharpness or uneven image sharpness so I asked our New Zealand dealer what their attitude would be if I ended up with a drone with sharpness issues. They said all wide angle drones have distortion/sharpness issues and they would send to DJI who would make the call. Made me go back and check some of the top down shots of my original Mavic Mini a drone less than quarter of the price of the Mini with also a 24mm lens and... sharp across the whole sensor. Also Lite+ has shown it can be sharp across the whole sensor so I don't buy that you should expect blurred areas on an over $4000 NZD drone

It's interesting there are a few posts on lack of image sharpness or uneven image sharpness so I asked our New Zealand dealer what their attitude would be if I ended up with a drone with sharpness issues. They said all wide angle drones have distortion/sharpness issues and they would send to DJI who would make the call. Made me go back and check some of the top down shots of my original Mavic Mini a drone less than quarter of the price of the Mini with also a 24mm lens and... sharp across the whole sensor. Also Lite+ has shown it can be sharp across the whole sensor so I don't buy that you should expect blurred areas on an over $4000 NZD drone
The larger the sensor, the larger the lens, and the greater the likelihood of distortion and sharpness issues at the edges. Just as true of terrestrial cameras as drone cameras. The Mavic Mini and the Mavic 3 are at opposite ends of that spectrum. The Lite+ is in the middle.

So are you saying maybe a 4/3 sensor on this form factor is pushing it too far and a 1" sensor is the sweet spot? That doesn't follow though as I understand it the Air2S which has sensor same size as Lite+ also has sharpness issues at the edges. My OMD EM-1 Mk2 with 12-100mm zoom on a 4/3 sensor is sharp across the whole sensor but you are saying you'll never get a lens physically that large on a foldable drone like the Mavic 3? That makes sense.

So are you saying maybe a 4/3 sensor on this form factor is pushing it too far and a 1" sensor is the sweet spot? That doesn't follow though as I understand it the Air2S which has sensor same size as Lite+ also has sharpness issues at the edges. My OMD EM-1 Mk2 with 12-100mm zoom on a 4/3 sensor is sharp across the whole sensor but you are saying you'll never get a lens physically that large on a foldable drone like the Mavic 3? That makes sense.
As your dealer explained, all wide angle drones have distortion/sharpness issues. The more glass and the larger the sensor, the greater and the more noticeable the issues may become. Whether DJI deems your issues within specs or outside of specs is up to them. Any Individual camera may be better or worse than another. There is no assurance that a replacement will be any better, and it may even be worse, while still within acceptable DJI specs. Your call.

In the unlikely event I get a bad unit or series of bad units and myself, the supplier and DJI don't agree I would have to rely on the framework of our Consumer Guarantees Act to make a call.

I'd be interested to know though do you think a 4/3 sensor is pushing the boundaries of form factor?

DJI are having to chop some of the sensor out in RAW processing. Interestingly even though their DNG's are 5271 pixels wide and jpegs 5280 pixels wide when you load a RAW into say affinity and crop down to area used in the jpegs the width drops to 4976 pixels (effectively 19 mp overall) then they must up-sample back to 5280 pixels? I'm guessing this is common practice?

In the unlikely event I get a bad unit or series of bad units and myself, the supplier and DJI don't agree I would have to rely on the framework of our Consumer Guarantees Act to make a call.

I'd be interested to know though do you think a 4/3 sensor is pushing the boundaries of form factor?

DJI are having to chop some of the sensor out in RAW processing. Interestingly even though their DNG's are 5271 pixels wide and jpegs 5280 pixels wide when you load a RAW into say affinity and crop down to area used in the jpegs the width drops to 4976 pixels (effectively 19 mp overall) then they must up-sample back to 5280 pixels? I'm guessing this is common practice?
Hey Andrew, Care elaborate a little more about this " our Consumer Guarantees Act" How long do you have to send something back

Hi Suren

So in New Zealand we have the Consumer Guarantees Act which is protection for the consumer buying goods or services. A big part of the act is that goods must be fit for purpose and as marketed (I think that bit applies to if you say got a drone under the promise of Image Above Everything but found down one side the image was blurry.) but more importantly a good MUST last a reasonable amount of time. Many people think if something dies outside it's warranty period then you are out of luck but that's just not true. Take for example some Wharfedale speakers I own. One of them blew after about three years. They had a two year warranty from memory but a $1000+ set of speakers which just sand in the corner and get used maybe twice a week for an hour or so at a time watching a movie should last way longer than 2 years, so in that case I pressed that point and the CGA and the shop I purchased it from saw that I had no cost for the repair. I also had a vacuum cleaner that died after 18 months and again was only warrantied for 12 months but I got that replaced free of charge. Just Google CGA for all the good info. The worst thing you can do is go "Oh it's outside of warranty oh dear" you have to push the point that the CGA insists something has to last a "reasonable" amount of time.

The other thing to be aware is that the law is between you and whoever sold it to you, it doesn't matter what the relationship is between you and the manufacturer or manufacturer and supplier the onus is on the company that sold it to you to put it right however they do that.

If it all goes to custard and you think you have a case the CGA provides for arbitration via a mediator which is final.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Reactions: Suren
I doubt anyone can answer that question or even know what it means.
It sounds like you are overthinking it and chances are that your camera will be just fine.
Wait to actually have a problem, before trying to deal with it.

I doubt anyone can answer that question or even know what it means.
It sounds like you are overthinking it and chances are that your camera will be just fine.
Wait to actually have a problem, before trying to deal with it.
Hi Meta

Not sure if you take video mainly or stills but I take only stills. So I and others end up with big prints on the wall that you get to stare a lot at and it's a lot easier to find flaws. So I need them to be right.

Gadget guy has said on drones with wide angle lenses distortion and blur becomes more obvious the bigger your sensor gets. This makes some sense as My Mavic Mini (1/2 inch sensor) has no distortion or blurriness, the Lite+ files I have seen haven't either they are very crisp but just look on this forum and DJI Mavic 3 and there are reports and examples of distortion and uneven sharpness. Yet on my Olympus 4/3 SLR my 24mm has no blurriness at all but the lens on that thing is way wider than anything on the M3 but with the same sensor size. My logic follows then that somewhere between a 1" sensor and a 4/3" sensor on a drone there is a sweet spot where you can have a larger sensor, a wide angle lens and no lens blurriness? Have we reached that point is the next move to put a bigger lens on the drone?

Why am I bothering? I don't want to make the mistake as solely a stills photographer of paying over $4500 NZD on a drone specifically for high quality stills using the 24mm and find that there is an issue in the quality of that particular lens which as we have seen with another forum member DJI has said it's within spec.

To be honest I'm more excited about the opportunities it looks like the 7x lens is going to provide in that the 7x appears to able to (for static subjects) paint a much high resolution image in any magnification up from say 6x to as far as you want to go through stitching. Ideal for big prints and gives you SLR detail+ from a drone.

Cheers

Hi Meta

Not sure if you take video mainly or stills but I take only stills. So I and others end up with big prints on the wall that you get to stare a lot at and it's a lot easier to find flaws. So I need them to be right.

Gadget guy has said on drones with wide angle lenses distortion and blur becomes more obvious the bigger your sensor gets. This makes some sense as My Mavic Mini (1/2 inch sensor) has no distortion or blurriness, the Lite+ files I have seen haven't either they are very crisp but just look on this forum and DJI Mavic 3 and there are reports and examples of distortion and uneven sharpness. Yet on my Olympus 4/3 SLR my 24mm has no blurriness at all but the lens on that thing is way wider than anything on the M3 but with the same sensor size. My logic follows then that somewhere between a 1" sensor and a 4/3" sensor on a drone there is a sweet spot where you can have a larger sensor, a wide angle lens and no lens blurriness? Have we reached that point is the next move to put a bigger lens on the drone?

Why am I bothering? I don't want to make the mistake as solely a stills photographer of paying over $4500 NZD on a drone specifically for high quality stills using the 24mm and find that there is an issue in the quality of that particular lens which as we have seen with another forum member DJI has said it's within spec.

To be honest I'm more excited about the opportunities it looks like the 7x lens is going to provide in that the 7x appears to able to (for static subjects) paint a much high resolution image in any magnification up from say 6x to as far as you want to go through stitching. Ideal for big prints and gives you SLR detail+ from a drone.

Cheers
Just buy it already! You appear to be quite capable of suing to get what you want, if needed! The results will speak for themselves!

It seems there's hope that firmware may soon be released to correct the exceedingly slow GPS lock... I'm really hoping the OP is right and looking forward to a fix! The camera on the Mavic 3 is awesome but waiting up to 10 minutes is kinda bad since most pre-flight checks can be done in just a couple of minutes.

Fingers crossed. Any update after a week?

So as we know and have read, Dji will be releasing a new firmware to fix the long dreaded GPS wait times and as most of you know i have been very vocal about this on the Dji Forum. I am glad to say that there is a fix and it truely does work, now dont ask me how or where i got this from but know that it works. I updated my firmware and in less than a minute i had 14 sats on the ground with home point locked. It works like it was supposed to now. I am very happy but unforuntaly i cannot share anything further than this but will post a screenshot of the new firmware build below so for those that dont believe me will believe.

View attachment 145201
Pitty because of war GNSS system is fairly unreliable now here so even with new FW (whenever available ;) ) It want be as good as it should be :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent