DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Outbound limits

Dan Bell

Reactions
I am a novice Mini pilot, flying in a dense urban area. So far, I have only been able to fly out 2,200 feet before I lose contact and have to RTH. Does this sound reasonable? I watch posts of guys flying out 10,000 feet. What's reasonable to expect, or what have your experienced? TIA

If you want to get that far out, you need an absolutely clear line-of-sight from the controller to the drone. Foliage, buildings, and other objects will block signal.

You may also want to read up on Fresnel zones for various frequencies of radio propagation.

Reactions: Dan Bell
I am a novice Mini pilot, flying in a dense urban area. So far, I have only been able to fly out 2,200 feet before I lose contact and have to RTH. Does this sound reasonable? I watch posts of guys flying out 10,000 feet. What's reasonable to expect, or what have your experienced? TIA

That's completely reasonable from a technical perspective. Everything else about your flights is completely unreasonable, unfortunately.

That's completely reasonable from a technical perspective. Everything else about your flights is completely unreasonable, unfortunately.

One *does* wonder about vLOS for a mini at 2200 feet...

One *does* wonder about vLOS for a mini at 2200 feet...

Setting the legalities aside, people will argue that WBVLOS at low altitude is reasonable in uninhabited areas, but over a "dense urban environment"?

Reactions: iaincaradoc
My VLOS limit is between 400m and slightly below 600m depending on the background and that is over water, I guess younger eyes might be somewhat sharper.

Not sure what you mean about everything else about your flights is completely unreasonable... Please educate me. Thanks.

Not sure what you mean about everything else about your flights is completely unreasonable... Please educate me. Thanks.

Of course, with a Mini the registration is up to you - unless you add anything to the drone to exceed the weight limit, you don't have to register it and mark it.

#5 is there, though. Along with #8, in "dense urban areas."

Depending on the area you're in, there are probably some airspace restrictions that you haven't looked into, either (#4).

Of course, with a Mini the registration is up to you - unless you add anything to the drone to exceed the weight limit, you don't have to register it and mark it.

#5 is there, though. Along with #8, in "dense urban areas."

Depending on the area you're in, there are probably some airspace restrictions that you haven't looked into, either (#4).

Thanks for the excellent information. I'll keep in handy for when I upgrade to a more sophisticated drone than the mini.

I'll keep in handy for when I upgrade to a more sophisticated drone than the mini.
Um, you should keep it handy now. The mini does not mean you can break any of those regulations except for #1. Being under 250 grams only means that you do not need to be registered with the FAA. However ALL other rules, laws, and regulations remain in full force.

I suspect (just from your initial post) that you most likely have already broken more than one regulation.

Reactions: freddy5
Maybe to clarify: Horizontal distance is 2,200 feet. Vertically I'm usually around 100' - 120'.

What city are you in in Utah?

Maybe to clarify: Horizontal distance is 2,200 feet. Vertically I'm usually around 100' - 120'.

To be blunt - aside from any airspace considerations, your flights are completely illegal. You are required to maintain VLOS - i.e. you can see the drone and determine it's orientation, and not fly over people, which you are obviously unable to determine. While that requirement is often ignored in more remote areas where there are unlikely to be people below or low-flying helicopters in the air, that is completely indefensible in an urban environment.

If you are familiar with the Lehi (Northern Utah County) area, we live up on the side of the foothills in an area called Traverse Mountain.

How close to Mountain Point Medical Center?

Yeah. The good news is that you're not in controlled airspace, there - but if you go too far west, you end up in the Camp Willams Military Reservation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard