DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"outrunning" the map in DJI FLy

Thanks for sharing this information, I have this problem when flying with my Samsung phone, but never was a problem when using my iPad.
I remember never having this issue in the past. I think it happened after a firmware update. My drone suddenly wouldn't stay on the map anymore. After fooling around with the tabs on the map, I noticed that the drone would stay in the map when I changed the symbol to a +. I believe this option wasn't available a while back. Had to be a firmware update that changed it.

I remember never having this issue in the past. I think it happened after a firmware update. My drone suddenly wouldn't stay on the map anymore. After fooling around with the tabs on the map, I noticed that the drone would stay in the map when I changed the symbol to a +. I believe this option wasn't available a while back. Had to be a firmware update that changed it.
Well, I just tried changing to the "+" and it still outruns the map really quickly with any speed. Here's a video depicting it, my screen capture program for some reason didn't work so I just used my cell phone to record the tablet's display.

Well, I just tried changing to the "+" and it still outruns the map really quickly with any speed. Here's a video depicting it, my screen capture program for some reason didn't work so I just used my cell phone to record the tablet's display.
That blows my theory.

Seems you should ask DJI -- but my theory on the device GPS just not keeping up still stands.

GPS lags real time by a half second or more. I think car GPS's anticipate position as much as actually knowing where you are, so they seem more responsive. DJI may be reading the GPS signal every tenth in the drone, and using the IMU for more immediate control, but I wonder how often the phone/controller update the GPS location. The video demo is certainly the half second sort of lag I'd expect.

Reactions: robwas
Seems you should ask DJI -- but my theory on the device GPS just not keeping up still stands.

GPS lags real time by a half second or more. I think car GPS's anticipate position as much as actually knowing where you are, so they seem more responsive. DJI may be reading the GPS signal every tenth in the drone, and using the IMU for more immediate control, but I wonder how often the phone/controller update the GPS location. The video demo is certainly the half second sort of lag I'd expect.
I put in a request to DJI support, I'll see what they say. What you're saying seems very plausible, I do wonder if it's contingent though on the GPS in the aircraft or perhaps my tablet... I often fly under some shade so I can see the display which potentially blocks some gps signal, maybe I'll give it a go more out in the open. I'm going to try with my phone as well which is on the supported devices list. Thanks for the input and keeping on topic trying to figure out the cause versus discussing VLOS and how users should be flying.

Keep in mind the GPS position information has lag. So at 40mph I wouldn't expect the position to be 100% accurate. It's not like a car GPS where the display and receiver are at the same spot. The drone location has to be transmitted to the receiver and then on to the phone/tablet. I've read the telemetry arriving at the controller is lagging about one half second. This can be made worse when recording 1080p video on the local device.

ps: My SC has lag, so it's probably also what the user's expectations are.
Very true. It seems about 15 mph though is where I can still outrun the map update, in the video I made I went faster because I was flying around my home and didn't want to get too far away so at 30 mph is happens faster. I know there's a lag in the video, I've put my drone on the table and watched myself move around and it seemed about a half a second was correct. I've never owned or used a SC, when I got my Air 2 and later Air 2s the reviews seemed to give the impression is was dated and not as able as the included controller so I took a pass. Hoping the updated version works with my drones and isn't out of reach. Flying in bright sun is a real issue that dji hasn't provided a great solution for imho with the new fly software.

Here was the official DJI response if anyone is interested...

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical support.

We appreciate you bringing this up to us. It is recommended to refresh the GPS signal in an open place to have a try. And if the drone flies outside of the map view, you can click on the map to quickly locate the location of the plane.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other concerns.

Stay healthy and have a great day!
Best Regards,
Wei
DJI Technical Support

Doesn't just tapping the + symbol top right of the minimised map just cause the map to enlarge to fill the whole screen?
Same view/area but just large image.

Doesn't just tapping the + symbol top right of the minimised map just cause the map to enlarge to fill the whole screen?
Same view/area but just large image.
No, it seems to control if the home point or drone is shown in the display. Tapping the smaller map in the middle makes it full screen and then minimizes the camera view.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots