DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overcurrent during discharge. Anyone lost their drone to this?

Interestingly on another thread some real data was accumulated comparing battery drain at different speeds. Anything above 15mph used the same lower power. The most used is in slow flight and hovering. Once at speed the aerodynamics of the propellers add lift and reduce the power required to maintain level flight.

So for excess power to be used and the warning to come up should not be expected in high speed level flight, unless there is a fault in the propeller blades affecting the lift.

High speed and full climb on the other hand would be using a lot more power but I am surprised still that it would be too much. I would suspect there is something not quite right.

My first thoughts would be to try new propellers and see if it makes any difference.

Trust me, it's normal.
I use the good ole Jive 120+ on my 700 heli's. The only times I see that I ve been pulling way, way more then 120 amps is when I hook it onto a computer which I rarely do. If it gets too much it just shuts down and you need to autorotate (that does not happen too often)!
The Mavic needs to be pampered and it complains easily if pushed out of its comfort zone. But for a relatively heavy drone with such tiny motors and esc's it fights like a lion when it comes down to it.

Reactions: Former Member
Do you have any idea what your max battery temp has been after a 4k flight in 93f temp at WOT in sport mode?

I going to do a test this week because Im curious about the battery temps during extreme exertion in warmer temps. It's supposed to get up to 90 here. My test will include before flight at room temperature, before flight in ambient temp, during and then after a 4 minute round trip flight in sport mode.
Sorry no idea i have flown up to 38 or just on 100 with no issues with Mavic at all and that was daily for a week until i was hospitalised (not by my bad flying).

i did a few 3 to 5k runs but only that one 4 kilo full on sport mode. i did a few park flights but rarely exceeded 7 mins in heat up to 100f and never had a warning at all.

I really do seem to have one of the Mavics that rarely gives me any issues of any note, any errors so far have all been pilot and the AC is on 90 flights (its now taking a rest in Bangkok). Now i am putting some flight time on Mavic two which only has around 20 kilos flight time so far.

next time i am up sometime next day or three i will run a full on battery and see how this one behaves although temps here in London are pretty low right now.

edited to say i did 4 kilos out in PGPS moide and the 4 kilos was coming home. No wind of any note, just flew it in for fun but as stated very little in way of altitude changes or direction, height was around 800 m ASL on take off and kept it fairly close to that as was flying over a valley and wanted to keep the AC fairly constant and straight to myself.on way back.

Last edited:
I have flown entire batteries in just sports mode. I don't think of this as crazy or abusive for the machine.
I have 5 batteries and I only fly in sports mode. The only time I'm not in sports mode is when it's landing.

I have 5 batteries and I only fly in sports mode. The only time I'm not in sports mode is when it's landing.

I fly in very hot weather and have seen this error a few times. It didn't effect performance, I landed a switched batteries. Back to flying.

Trust me, it's normal.
I use the good ole Jive 120+ on my 700 heli's. The only times I see that I ve been pulling way, way more then 120 amps is when I hook it onto a computer which I rarely do. If it gets too much it just shuts down and you need to autorotate (that does not happen too often)!
The Mavic needs to be pampered and it complains easily if pushed out of its comfort zone. But for a relatively heavy drone with such tiny motors and esc's it fights like a lion when it comes down to it.
When it comes to wind, the Mavic does indeed fight like a lion, I take my Mavic out in conditions I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my P3 out in.

I've never had this error and fly mostly in sport mode. Saying that I'm not usually recording video. Perhaps it's a combination of 4k video processing and motor current draw?

At least for me, I wasnt recording when the message appeared.

After some more googling I found of "only" one instance where a drone was lost (most likely) because of that error and again, it was in very cold weather.

Makes me wonder how dangerous the error actually is in friendly air temperatures. After all theres high chance you dont even see the message when youre flying LOS as youre looking at the drone and not the display.

At least for me, I wasnt recording when the message appeared.

After some more googling I found of "only" one instance where a drone was lost (most likely) because of that error and again, it was in very cold weather.

Makes me wonder how dangerous the error actually is in friendly air temperatures. After all theres high chance you dont even see the message when youre flying LOS as youre looking at the drone and not the display.

I have learned to take some error message that DJI Go gives me very seriously. Anything having to do with an overload of any kind means I land asap. I then try to trace the source of the message and I wont fly again until I find the reason, which is what you obviously are trying to do here. If it's your style of flying to use sport mode continuously, and fly for 2-3 minutes at full throttle, and you dont like the error messages, you might open a chat, email or phone call with DJI and tell them the problem. Maybe they have a solution.

This error is pretty well documented among MP Pilots especially when you are in sport mode and both sticks at full power. When I see it, I just bring the sticks back a smidge and usually helps make the error go away. I never got this error on my phantom 3. IMO its a design flaw. The drone should not be permitted to overdraw the battery which could lead to mid-flight failures.

Reactions: allufewi
Update: I got ballsy and tried to reproduce the error on a large field nearby and succeeded. Temperature 19°C, mostly sunny.

Indeed the error appears when I push both (only then) sticks to the limit for ca. 5-8 seconds in sports mode. Going forward or upwards only, as well as shorter "bursts" of both sticks full forward dont cause problems. Going 3/4 on both is fine as well. All 4 of my batteries show the same behaviour. Highly unlikely all of them are defective.

Appears not to be too strongly related to remaining battery charge or drone-temperature. First flight gives me the error just as much as the 4th. A 94% battery as well as a 38% one (didnt go lower). The amount of previous fligh time in sports is pretty irrelevant as well. Difference is just a second or two at most. Instant lowering of the throttles makes the error go away quickly.

I too think this a design flaw and the drone shouldnt be allowed to draw more power than the battery can give it, but know I know how to work around it, I wont bother too much.

Moral of the story. Be gentle with the sticks and dont jam them forward for any length of time.

It's not a design flaw, it's a warning, just like the red line on an RPM gauge.

Have you looked at your flight logs on AirData UAV? Lot's of good info to be had...for example here a few screenshots of my last flight were my battery reached 142.3'F and I never received a single warning...makes me wonder what the thresholds are...

Cell Deviations.jpg

Battery Voltage.jpg

Battery Temp.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki