DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overexposure with Mavic Ari on auto settings

Bryan D

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I have a persistent issue with my Mavic AIr: shots are often quite overexposed when shooting in auto, with whites blown up and colors a bit on the washed out side. I am using ND filters (max. 16) but it does not make much of a difference. Some of you will probably tell me to not use auto, but when I don't want to spend in-flight time setting my exposure (not to mention on phone screen with sun glares), I would expect to get a decent result using auto, but that is not the case. Am I the only one having this issue with the Air? Is there a work around?

Reactions: Taddeo
Set WB to custom and use 6500K.

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean use 6500K? Is that a value for WB? I thought they were expressed between -2 and 2 (cannot check right now on my MA).

Also, ideally, as stated in my initial post, I would like to stay away from manual settings as I think it is really easy to mess up when using a "simple" phone screen (which can produce a fair amount of glare on sunny days).

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean use 6500K? Is that a value for WB? I thought they were expressed between -2 and 2 (cannot check right now on my MA).

Also, ideally, as stated in my initial post, I would like to stay away from manual settings as I think it is really easy to mess up when using a "simple" phone screen (which can produce a fair amount of glare on sunny days).
The 6500K is a white balance setting.
The -2 and 2 are exposure values (EV) You typically want the EV to be as close to zero as possible.

Oops... Thanks. Ok, so I have tried fiddling with EV but never with WB... But isn't that affecting the overall cast / temperature of the shot rather than correcting my overexposure problem?

If you leave WB on auto it will tend to change during a recording as you move, the effect can be quite noticeable and is hard to correct even if good at editing - so lock it on something like sunny or cloudy or a set number.
I'd suggest 6000 but what ever you think looks OK.
Leaving exposure on Auto is usually fine, your exposure can be set from the wheel and it will adjust to keep it close to your choice.
Backlit scenes with low sun are always going to be challenging, you can make some improvements when editing as a rule. Or try to avoid backlight unless you want that look.

Thanks 4wd. My issue is not so much with having variability during recording, it is more those blown out whites that bother me (even - and actually particularly- on still shots). When you say setting the exposure with the wheel, you probably are referring to the MP though, right?

I have the same issue but with Mavic pro platinum, simply flaying using auto settings for shottings just leave everything white overexposed, I need to adjust the shutter but I don’t want to, I use to fly always in auto but once I flew on a super windy day, after that my Mavic just changed the auto mode and I don’t want to loose precious flying time just on camera settings,
Someone else with the same issue?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22