DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overhead cables in small plot - workaround?

dilby

Reactions
Hi all - I'm currently considering getting a new drone pilot on board and was hoping someone could help with a question I have. I do have an A2 cofc myself where I did fly every now and then for property developers, but my business model has changed where i've been more deskbound, and have forgotten so many regs. But my development clients are all wanting work post covid, however I've been told and am finding for myself that since covid many building developers are doing smaller developments which is raising access issues.

With the larger sites there was ample room to fly around any telegraph cables and still be on the client's (landowner) land. Now, with a smaller plot where there inevitably seems to be overhaads, there just isn't room to be 50m from them, and unlikely to get landowners permission from anywhere nearby where the drone pilot can be line of sight. I've attached a streetview shot from a typical piece of land I'm talking about where overhead cables run through - I've been turning them down lately but it's now causing issues with the client who really needs them done. Does anyone know of a workaround for this; perhaps an obvious thing I'm missing ,or some qualification that can help make this possible, or is it a case of just having to give up the work? Thanks so much.

cable-streetview.jpg

@dilby at what stage of the process are you being asked to fly over the plot ,and for what purpose

@dilby i really think you should have your GVC certificate ,if you are using your drone for business purposes regardless of whether or not it is just a Mini drone, or something larger,
when you fly in restricted places because of access to the location, having the GVC gives you the ability to get permissions from the CAA to fly there ,,provided of course you have done the necessary risk assessment's and have a flight plan in place
i think that people are misunderstanding the relationship between the new rules ,allowing hobby users to obtain income from say posting on social media or selling of their pics ,
to actually using their drone as a business, they are two different things ,with different requirements with different insurance requirements and also the need to keep a detailed log book of all flights done

@dilby i really think you should have your GVC certificate ,if you are using your drone for business purposes regardless of whether or not it is just a Mini drone, or something larger,
when you fly in restricted places because of access to the location, having the GVC gives you the ability to get permissions from the CAA to fly there ,,provided of course you have done the necessary risk assessment's and have a flight plan in place
i think that people are misunderstanding the relationship between the new rules ,allowing hobby users to obtain income from say posting on social media or selling of their pics ,
to actually using their drone as a business, they are two different things ,with different requirements with different insurance requirements and also the need to keep a detailed log book of all flights done

Thanks for the reply. I actually have my GVC, I'm just out of practice and really struggle to remember the rules, which is one reason I'm considering getting a freelancer in for this as it's a lot of plates for me to spin; when the latest regs came in i realised it's a lot to keep up with! My understanding is I can fly 50m from other people's property, and this is reduced to 25m on takeoff. The catch is that often I need to fly less than this with powerlines in particular, with the purpose being to take video footage of a vacant plot for architects to superimpose plans on it. And my experience with getting permission from homeowners is that if they are in, i end up with a logistical issue of 'you'll need to talk to my husband etc' which holds the shoot up. I'd love to know if there's a change in rules I'm unaware of workaround that allows me closer to powerlines in particular, or to take off from council land

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke