DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parking lot night flying?

As a hobbyist, you can fly at night no problemo.
Just have to abide by the daylight rules, no higher than 400 agl, VLOS, and you should have some lighting than can be seen for 3 statute miles. That is the only "night time rule" for hobbyists. I use the Cree strobes one on top, and one on the rear.

Reactions: ReeseRhys
As a Recreational/Hobby operator there are "currently" no night flight restrictions. If you can follow ALL other FAA rules applicable to hobby/recreation you can fly at night.

Just to be clear, as a Recreational flier you can fly at night, but are strobe lights like the optional lights included with the Mavic 2 enterprise drones required for night flight?

Currently I don't recall seeing the 3SM requirement on the HOBBY side. That's a Part 107 requirement but at the same time a VERY good idea for everyone.

The "Hobbyist" carveout is nested into the 107 cert, "44809 The exemption for limited recreational hobbyist"
107 is by default controls all UAV flights/work, but with this "bubble/carve out" for hobbyist,
it does allow us to fly at night.
Now if you are a 107 and you get a waiver for night flight/operations (which they have to get), they do have to have nav lights with strobing that can be seen for 3 statute miles. With the carve out for hobbyist's, the lighting requirements would be the same.

...I'm referring to flying between 5 and 10 ft in a parking lot with stadium lighting such as a car lot or a high school football field. What about flying in something enclosed such as a parking garage or similar?...
Fly in the parking lot but I suggest you fly above the height of the light poles. There is nothing to hit up there. Just check in the daytime to insure there are no wires or other obstructions that you cannot see at night.

Stay out of the parking garage until you are familiar with the risks, confident in your abilities, and know the proper setup for indoor flying.

-Flying at night is prohibited without a waiver. Don't do it. There are good reasons not to.
-Flying inside a building like a gymnasium is not controlled by the FAA, however modify your return to home settings. I had a friend who did this, and when he accidentally pressed the RTH button, the drone ascended to the preset 200'. Problem was, the gym ceiling was much lower, and before he could cancel and regain control, the drone was in the rafters.
-VFR pilots can fly at night. Flying airplanes is different. You can see much better, and situational awareness is not a problem. Also, you have fantastic lighting at airports, with VASI lighting to help you out. A drone is a completely different experience.

-Flying at night is prohibited without a waiver. Don't do it. There are good reasons not to.
-Flying inside a building like a gymnasium is not controlled by the FAA, however modify your return to home settings. I had a friend who did this, and when he accidentally pressed the RTH button, the drone ascended to the preset 200'. Problem was, the gym ceiling was much lower, and before he could cancel and regain control, the drone was in the rafters.
-VFR pilots can fly at night. Flying airplanes is different. You can see much better, and situational awareness is not a problem. Also, you have fantastic lighting at airports, with VASI lighting to help you out. A drone is a completely different experience.

Partially wrong.
Flying at night, anywhere as a full 107, you will need waivers.
Flying at night as a hobbyist (which is nested inside the 107 reg.) and as long as you are in unrestricted airspace (Class G) you do not need a waiver of any kind.
Just as long as you are flying VLOS, under 400 feet altitude, and your AC have lighting visible for 3 statute miles. And oh yeah, the most important part:
Your not doing anything stupid, you're good to go.
Period.
Watch video 2 posts up.

Last I knew you do not need an instrument rating to fly a real airplane at night. It’s a good idea but not required by the FAA.
In Australia we have to have a night VFR rating to fly after last light

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet