DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107—How intense is the test?

johnburton

Reactions
After halfway through the Drone Launch Academy course I should be able to fly a 747! Holy cow! All this just to fly a drone?
It is interesting material, though the charts are pretty confusing. There's so much info and it's so easy to confuse one set of numbers or lines or symbols or whatever with another.
All that being said, on the test, what can I really expect? While I'm going to study it all, are there parts I should zero in on more? Weather? Charts? Aeronautical Decision-Making? Airport Operations?

THESE are sample questions from the FAA test. When I took the test there were questions on charts, airspace, weather, etc. It pays to study and do the practice tests, if supplied by the course you are taking.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
After halfway through the Drone Launch Academy course I should be able to fly a 747! Holy cow! All this just to fly a drone?
It is interesting material, though the charts are pretty confusing. There's so much info and it's so easy to confuse one set of numbers or lines or symbols or whatever with another.
All that being said, on the test, what can I really expect? While I'm going to study it all, are there parts I should zero in on more? Weather? Charts? Aeronautical Decision-Making? Airport Operations?

Definitely do not attempt the test until you are no longer confused by the charts.

I have taken two practice tests so far and found that everything is on there. I past both tests but found I'm weak in the area of weather and the dynamics of what makes an airplane stay in the air. I'm concentrating on those areas more now.

I took a practice test with zero prep although I’ve been around aircraft all my life and pro time in aerospace and wireless IT. Scored a 70. With a few more practice tests and some read up on airport maps and weather, I should be able to make it over the min score.

The 107 test is ridiculous in its scope and technical depth for even most drone pro’s. Looks like it was written by zealous consultants. Harsh but that’s my view.

I took a practice test with zero prep although I’ve been around aircraft all my life and pro time in aerospace and wireless IT. Scored a 70. With a few more practice tests and some read up on airport maps and weather, I should be able to make it over the min score.

The 107 test is ridiculous in its scope and technical depth for even most drone pro’s. Looks like it was written by zealous consultants. Harsh but that’s my view.
If you think the 107 cert exam is harsh then take a look at some other countries - Canada for example. Considering what you get with a 107 cert (the ability to commercially fly aircraft of both fixed wing and rotor design weighing up to 55 lbs. in U.S. national airspace after taking a 20 minute exam for $150) the test is not harsh at all.

I signed up with RemotePilot101 just before having Rotator cuff & Bicep tendon surgery in October. Their program is well done.

The material covered is extensive and overwhelming. Often, when working through a lesson, I wonder how this really applies as a drone pilot. However, interesting stuff to learn, like this...

KGEG 170204Z 00000KT 1SM R21/P6000FT -SN BR BKN007 OVC014 00/M01 A2960 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1 1/4 P0000 T00001011

FM170300 23005KT 4SM -SN OVC012
FM170500 22010KT 4SM BR OVC008
FM172000 21006KT P6SM BKN015

Last edited:
The test isn't "hard" but just like a foreign language if you haven't been exposed to any of it passing a test is probably not going to happen.

I've been learning a lot from this guy.

I have enjoyed many of his videos over the last year.

Reactions: xspwhite
hello guy's, whats the test for? sorry i have not been able to read up, what happens if you pass the test? no geo?

hello guy's, whats the test for? sorry i have not been able to read up, what happens if you pass the test? no geo?

It's the certification test required under 14 CFR Part 107 in order to be able to fly sUAS non-recreationally in the US.

It's the certification test required under 14 CFR Part 107 in order to be able to fly sUAS non-recreationally in the US.
can you post the link to the test? you guys are talking about?

I signed up with RemotePilot101 just before having Rotator cuff & Bicep tendon surgery in October. Their program is well done.

The material covered is extensive and overwhelming. Often, when working through a lesson, I wonder how this really applies as a drone pilot. However, interesting stuff to learn, like this...

KGEG 170204Z 00000KT 1SM R21/P6000FT -SN BR BKN007 OVC014 00/M01 A2960 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1 1/4 P0000 T00001011

FM170300 23005KT 4SM -SN OVC012
FM170500 22010KT 4SM BR OVC008
FM172000 21006KT P6SM BKN015
keep reading and studying....you will start to understand it.

Interested in just what parts of the the 107 do NOT apply? I found the material all relevant.

Interested in just what parts of the the 107 do NOT apply? I found the material all relevant.
The Part 107 exam is directly taken from the Private Pilot written exam. The FAA simply repackaged some of the material and questions. Everyone has different opinions but I believe there are many parts that do not apply to UAS pilots. Examples include crew resource management, weight and balance, the effect of bank angle on stall speed. While those are all very important when flying a fixed wing aircraft, they have little to no relevance in flying a quad-copter. I specifically said quad-copter because stall speed obviously does have some relevance in flying RC fixed wing aircraft.

Since they had the opportunity to write a relevant and targeted exam, they really could have (and should have) done a much better job. I fully agree that if you want to fly commercially in the NAS then you should definitely know how to read VFR sectional charts and know what the airspace is above your head. That seems to be the tough part for most new UAS pilots who say it is too difficult.

On the other hand the METAR standard is probably something that the average UAS pilot has no need to know. With today's technology, Internet connectivity, portable devices, and weather apps, it just isn't something that we use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki