DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 and minors?

jaysrmc

Reactions
I see the regulations that you have to be 16 to take the Part 107 test but my son is under 16, he posts his videos to youtube, what happens if he monetizes them. He already has around 3k subscribers because he does all kinds of videos. I called the FAA and no one can give me a straight answer. I got passed around so much I started recording the conversations. I can get no real answer, one person said "Well you have to 16 to get a job so legally they can't make money on youtube videos" Ummm no.

Edit sorry for posting this in general. I should have posted in the Rules/Regs but it wont let me change it now.

Reactions: Drones Ace
No but I will move it for you .:)

YouTube is an interesting use case because not all YouTube content is monetized and there are many recreational videos from model aircraft flights. Mostly UAVs, of course, but that's not directly relevant. However, if he has signed up for the partner program then that does imply intent to make money and strongly suggests, if not defines, flight videos posted as non-recreational. That's likely the defining point - is he in the partner program and intending to monetize the videos? That doesn't happen just because he is popular on YouTube.

Yes he is in the partner program and makes money on his videos. I get what you saying. I just can't get a straight answer. If they won't allow him to take the test but allow him to fly?

A lady did say they wouldn't issue a citation to me for it but that's beside the point.

I guess he will keep doing what he is doing and just keep documentation on my efforts to get the information.

I find the entire 107 thing a little distasteful, I passed mine but the background check is a little much when, well, anyone can fly as a hobbyist. I think everyone should have to learn the info and take a test to fly our class of aircraft.

You need to be 16 to take the test.
You need to pass the test to make money from your videos.
I don't see the confusion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada