DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 - Fly down city road

Birdii

Reactions
I'm a part 107 pilot with a client that requested footage of two particular areas in my "city." This is a small city, less than 100k.

The areas are roads. I understand I am not allowed to fly over people, after taking into consideration the trajectory and whatnot. However, these roads have parking on either side of them.

Would I legally be allowed to fly over the parks cars down the road? Or should I just stick to flying over buildings?

The flight would probably never go beyond 50 feet of my controls, so in theory I'd be able to fly over the sidewalk as well, so long as I maintain no one being under it. Or I just fly over someone involved in the operation. These leads me to another question:

Could I legally fly over a vehicle (directly involved) who drives down the road?
This particular regulation is extremely irritating and limits basically every drone operation known.

I'm a part 107 pilot with a client that requested footage of two particular areas in my "city." This is a small city, less than 100k.

The areas are roads. I understand I am not allowed to fly over people, after taking into consideration the trajectory and whatnot. However, these roads have parking on either side of them.

Would I legally be allowed to fly over the parks cars down the road? Or should I just stick to flying over buildings?

The flight would probably never go beyond 50 feet of my controls, so in theory I'd be able to fly over the sidewalk as well, so long as I maintain no one being under it. Or I just fly over someone involved in the operation. These leads me to another question:

Could I legally fly over a vehicle (directly involved) who drives down the road?
This particular regulation is extremely irritating and limits basically every drone operation known.
As for parked cars, yes, technically you are allowed to fly over anything that is not a person or moving vehicle. Just keep in mind, if something went wrong and you went off course, you could still be liable in the eyes of the FAA.

And, as for the moving vehicle, my understanding is you can fly over anyone involved in the operation, so yes, if the folk in the car are involved, that seems like it would be ok, according to the regs, as I understand them.

Congrats on 107, and enjoy your shoot!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras