DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Practice Tests - Am I ready?

I hear you, but I had a few questions pertaining to markings and signage on runways, and also what the runway numbers mean in relation to direction, and which runway based to land on if wind was in X direction

questions on terminology of aircraft position in a landing pattern (base, left, midfield, final) etc. and how to identify is the aircraft is east/west north of your position based on these call outs.

I worked extra hard on these general areas and I ended up seeing quite a bit of questions on them

Totally understand when the runway marking helps identify the location of an aircraft.. and I believe the only marking that would help is the runway number. Why would I need to know what a yellow demarkation bar is?

I was doing some work near an untoweredairport legitimately and I happen to know the runway directions runway markings approaches based on wind. I heard an aircraft coming from a ways off and then I landed, grounded my drone until the plane landed. sure enough it came over me into the runway.

That's why none of it is BS.

Reactions: svickstc
Totally understand when the runway marking helps identify the location of an aircraft.. and I believe the only marking that would help is the runway number. Why would I need to know what a yellow demarkation bar is?
because it affects traffic patterns in and out of an airport if you're operating near an uncontrolled airport. you better understand how planes are leaving and coming into that airport.

You never know how many times this information may come in handy.

All I know is you can never have too much knowledge when it comes to general aviation

All I know is you can never have too much knowledge when it comes to general aviation

Amen.

The FAA at some point needs to add in their training for remote pilot certification Part 107 for the remote pilot in command to listen for aircraft. They haven't figured this out because you cannot "listen" for aircraft when you're inside of a manned plane yourself.

Why the **** would a drone pilot need to know runway markings? I know there's a lot of ******** in this part 107 test such as weather reports.. (hello its 2019 there's an app for that). But why would knowing runway markings be necessary for a drone pilot? I can understand knowing runway numbers and how they related to the direction a plane may be traveling.. but this is completely unnecessary IMO.

One reason for questions about runway markings is that not all drones are necessarily quad copters. There exists the potential for fixed wing drones. In fact many military drones are fixed wings. That's why the test also has questions regarding how center of gravity will affect your ability to recover from a stall.

One reason for questions about runway markings is that not all drones are necessarily quad copters. There exists the potential for fixed wing drones. In fact many military drones are fixed wings. That's why the test also has questions regarding how center of gravity will affect your ability to recover from a stall.
At last, a cogent explanation!

I highly doubt anyone in the military needs to take a Part 107 test.

I highly doubt anyone in the military needs to take a Part 107 test.

It's not about somebody in the military having to take a 107 test. I was simply giving an example to show that not all drones are rotor based flying machines. There is a distinct possibility that drones may be fixed wing and as such may use runways. As an old time RC airplane pilot I've been flying drones for years. It's just that now they have basically given them a new name. Until they do type ratings for different categories of aircraft the test covers multiple possibilities. Remember the actual rules apply to SUAS which means small unmanned aircraft systems. That term covers my RC airplane as well as my Mavic.

Reactions: svickstc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98