DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Test Question

325xia

Reactions
I'm new to this Forum. I own a Mavic Air and was just considering studying for the Part 107 License. After watching a Prep Video on this subject, it is so comprehensive and very difficult to follow. I have no plan to make money from flying my Drone. Only recreation, (vacation and general hoobyist stuff). And for this I need no Part 107. Just Register my Drone with the FAA. Why is there such a huge comprehensive test required if I wanted to make some money with my Drone Photography? I would think it's just as important to learn about the physics of this as a hobbyist/enthusiast as compared to the commercial level. In fact, I can't believe you need no training to just fly a Drone. Yet, you need this comprehensive study and test to use the same Drone to perform a way to make money. Makes no sense as far as safety to me.

Thank You. I need to read-up on FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.

I'm new to this Forum. I own a Mavic Air and was just considering studying for the Part 107 License. After watching a Prep Video on this subject, it is so comprehensive and very difficult to follow. I have no plan to make money from flying my Drone. Only recreation, (vacation and general hoobyist stuff). And for this I need no Part 107. Just Register my Drone with the FAA. Why is there such a huge comprehensive test required if I wanted to make some money with my Drone Photography? I would think it's just as important to learn about the physics of this as a hobbyist/enthusiast as compared to the commercial level. In fact, I can't believe you need no training to just fly a Drone. Yet, you need this comprehensive study and test to use the same Drone to perform a way to make money. Makes no sense as far as safety to me.

It’s because this is America and in America we believe if you are gonna make laws they should be as confusing as hell and not make any sense! And if you don’t like it then you can get out! :p;) Just playin lol

Also the big airlines have been greasing the wheels at the FAA for decades. You really think the FAA is just gonna let the drone industry in and set up camp for free? Why then they won’t have any reason to wine and dine FAA officials! Who is gonna pay for all those FAA agents cars and hotel bills?

Luckily the AMA has enough members to make any congressman uncomfortable and they carved out 336 for us but the AMA doesn’t care about comercial Pilots so they basically got the bottom of the pork barrel unfortunately

The OP makes a good point. There SHOULD be more training required for hobbyists.

There SHOULD be more training required for hobbyists.
That will be coming at some point. One of the new rules in the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 requires the operator to pass an electronic aeronautical knowledge and safety test. That test will be designed to demonstrate an operator's (1) understanding of aeronautical safety knowledge and (2) knowledge of FAA regulations and requirements pertaining to the operation of an unmanned aircraft system in the national airspace system.

The OP makes a good point. There SHOULD be more training required for hobbyists.

Maybe it’s a matter of not knowing enough to know what I don’t know but in quickly looking over the part 107 study materials it appears to me that the test has very very little to do with being a drone pilot that is following the rules and everything to do with what planes and helicopters are doing 1000 ft+.

If I can’t, as a 107 pilot fly over 400 feet, why do I care or need to know what planes are doing up there? Seems to me knowing the location of airports and understanding how far 5 miles is really all I need to know about planes and the national airspace. What do aviation charts have to do with drones? I ask this seriously and not sarcastically.

There will come a time when "Hobbyists" will not be able to buy a drone that will fly over XXX feet from the controller. It will be mandated by the govt that any drone sold to the general population will be software limited to this XXX distance. Anyone wishing to purchase a drone to exceed that distance will have to show their identification along with their remote pilot license. Also the new drones will be equipped with an on board C-mode transponder so that in the unlikely event that it were to fly into controlled airspace it will be visible to other aircraft as well as ATC's. That won't stop those who will build their own or those who will hack the software etc, it will only be effective on the law abiding citizen who wishes to do the right thing. jes my .o2

Maybe it’s a matter of not knowing enough to know what I don’t know but in quickly looking over the part 107 study materials it appears to me that the test has very very little to do with being a drone pilot that is following the rules and everything to do with what planes and helicopters are doing 1000 ft+.

If I can’t, as a 107 pilot fly over 400 feet, why do I care or need to know what planes are doing up there? Seems to me knowing the location of airports and understanding how far 5 miles is really all I need to know about planes and the national airspace. What do aviation charts have to do with drones? I ask this seriously and not sarcastically.

If you are operating anywhere around airports then understanding airspace and aircraft operating procedures are important to staying out of traffic patterns. I'm rather surprised that isn't completely obvious.

Reactions: AMann
If you are operating anywhere around airports then understanding airspace and aircraft operating procedures are important to staying out of traffic patterns. I'm rather surprised that isn't completely obvious.

Ok let’s say I’m up at 200 feet shooting a movie in Class B and I have permission to be there. All of a sudden I realize a 747 is coming right for me. The AMA says I should put as much blue sky as possible between myself and the jet from my vantage point. Now is there something on the chart that I can look up or have memorized that might tell me to do something else that would be better in this senerio? I’m just confused how this translates into real world actionable intelligence.

Ok let’s say I’m up at 200 feet shooting a movie in Class B and I have permission to be there. All of a sudden I realize a 747 is coming right for me. The AMA says I should put as much blue sky as possible between myself and the jet from my vantage point. Now is there something on the chart that I can look up or have memorized that might tell me to do something else that would be better in this senerio? I’m just confused how this translates into real world actionable intelligence.

Your post makes the argument itself. If you had checked the sectional and were aware of the operating runway configuration then you wouldn't be in that situation. This is much more of an issue around smaller airports in Class G than Class B airports though, since any Class B authorization is going to have very stringent constraints.

Reactions: brett8883
Configuration, schmigeration, if it’s Harrison Ford announcing he’s on approach to the airport, just throw out the sectional and land it as fast as possible because he may collide with you wherever you are near the airport! :)

But really, studying for the 107
Really oppened my eyes to the responsibility we’ve taken on in doing this sport.

I feel like most of the test and study material was designed around becoming an airman and not just an rc pilot. I felt the test was designed to give me an appreciation of what aircraft pilots go through. And I as a unmanned pilot need to at least be aware of some of the fundamentals of flight even if it doesn't seem like they pertain to me. Sar is correct... if you checked the sectional you'd know not to be in the runway path... Or maybe you'd find out you are flying too close to a tower and guy wires... something the apps don't all mark.
One other positive of flying 107 is also the ability of flying inside the 5 mile restriction zone. Where I live there are 5 airports around me... Each one just barely overlaps the other or there may be a small sliver of space I can fly. Now with notification and following airspace rules I'm not nearly as limited.

Reactions: brett8883

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwooden12