DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 - you guys have it easy!

dannybgoode

Reactions
So if I have read the various posts on here correctly for your part 107 you just have to sit a test that you can self-learn for. Crikey why would anyone not sit it?!

In the UK the equivalent is PfCO - Permissions to fly Commercial Operations.

To gain this you *must* attend a training course with an accredited training centre, which lasts a week or more, take a practical flight test and write an operation manual that covers all aspects of your flying, safety procedures, overview of likely flight scenarios etc. This manual must be approved by the CAA (our version of the FAA).

If your operations manual isn’t approved you need to resubmit it which also costs extra.

Total cost (not including time off the day job, travelling etc)? $2500-3000! The bar to commercial operations is somewhat higher accordingly. Part 107 sounds a doddle by comparison :).

Would still love to do mine but need to be able to justify the expense.

Reactions: Aerobatty
Yeah... People saw that happening here and put a stop to it back in the 1700's. The reason everyone doesn't sit for it is because it costs $150 USD to take the test... And the average level of intelligence globally is just Average and below. I think You K people call them "Muggles". Well, Muggles ain't got the sense to learn to read a sectional chart no matter how much they pay... And there is no spell that will help them. Our skies are safe!

Would still love to do mine but need to be able to justify the expense.
I took mine in 2015. It was even more expensive then. A bit of advice for you, if you are considering taking the PFCO. If you intend to be a sole operator, I wouldn't bother. Unless you already have potential customers knocking down your door for your services!

To be frank, the market is already flooded in the UK with people that hold a PFCO. 90% of people that take it and pass don't renew after their first year. Video production companies have just about got the market all sewn up. They have resources that sole operators can only dream about. If you could get a job flying your drone for something like a utilities company or something then it might work out for you. Mine is up for renewal next February, I won't be bothering to renew it this time around. Unauthorised operators are another reason not to bother. Yeah, they are breaking the law but the rozzers have better things to do than chase illegal drone operators and the CAA don't seem to give a toss either.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you'd be better off saving your money and spending it on a nice new drone instead:)

I took mine in 2015. It was even more expensive then. A bit of advice for you, if you are considering taking the PFCO. If you intend to be a sole operator, I wouldn't bother. Unless you already have potential customers knocking down your door for your services!

To be frank, the market is already flooded in the UK with people that hold a PFCO. 90% of people that take it and pass don't renew after their first year. Video production companies have just about got the market all sewn up. They have resources that sole operators can only dream about. If you could get a job flying your drone for something like a utilities company or something then it might work out for you. Mine is up for renewal next February, I won't be bothering to renew it this time around. Unauthorised operators are another reason not to bother. Yeah, they are breaking the law but the rozzers have better things to do than chase illegal drone operators and the CAA don't seem to give a toss either.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you'd be better off saving your money and spending it on a nice new drone instead:)

I appreciate your comments. The only reason I’d do it is if I were to get in to say weddings big time and it started to get awkward with venues and the like.

I have spoken to the local plod btw and they said unless you really were being a giant **** (flying over a football ground on match day for eg) and then only if they caught you in the act would they actually bother.

Indeed one of them I know does the odd cheeky wedding and even they don’t have their PfCO!

I appreciate your comments. The only reason I’d do it is if I were to get in to say weddings big time and it started to get awkward with venues and the like.

I have spoken to the local plod btw and they said unless you really were being a giant **** (flying over a football ground on match day for eg) and then only if they caught you in the act would they actually bother.

Indeed one of them I know does the odd cheeky wedding and even they don’t have their PfCO!

Basically there's no plod or rozzers out here, so everything is much simpler.

Basically there's no plod or rozzers out here, so everything is much simpler.
Lucky for you.. They seem to thrive down at Sea level... Florida is loaded with them. Florida Man is their mascot!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras