DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Paying 1k+ for 'training courses' to get commercial license

Drogen24

Reactions
Hi all,

I don't know how much it costs in other countries but in the UK, training providers are all charging over a grand for their training courses for CAA approval to operate a drone commercially.
Are these courses necessary or are they just someone (very cleverly) monetising the budding market? I understand I need approval from an establishment such as this as part of the CAA application, but do I really need to pay the rest for help revising for an exam and an operations manual that I can more thanikely download and tweak?

It's about £1500 quid for a 2 day course and yes like any need to have training course the price is way above what it actually costs for the training, the justification no doubt is that you can make a lot of money once you have passed,

Reactions: GooterFly68
I paid 1400 for a five day, intensive course in Devon. It is necessary to have an EQA recommendation to the CAA in order to certify you for one year.
I also work in IT where five day courses can cost 3 grand or more. Other courses in other industries vary but if I compare to IT alone, it was decent value self-investment.
Don’t think though, that you start making money once you qualify. You still need to build a business, a reputation and continually invest in oneself in terms of time, red tape and equipment. (I’m not talking drones or cameras)
A decent course will prepare you, so do your research and then be prepared to completely change how you operate your drone and your thought processes around flying. It was an eye opener for me! I wish you well in your research.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
It’s $3000 in Australia.

Local South Australian trainer (UniSA) has the RePL (Remote Pilot Licence) course and it is AUD$3500 + gst !
Suppose other private trainers might be better value, but found at least one other private company that is the same pricing.
It is a 5 day intensive course.
That is (inc gst, our goods and services tax) equivalent to USD3018.75, GBP2296.40, or Euro2557.55

This is training to be able to fly for a commercial operator, or become one.
If you want that (your own organisation / business to fly commercially) you need to get an ReOC (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Operator’s Certificate) which is about another AUD$1200 - $1500, payable to our air safety authority CASA.

Reactions: enohp15
I'm currently on the Coptrz course in the UK. It's £995 + VAT, run at multiple locations. Some locations cost a bit more.
They run a 4 day course, 2 days of ground school & theory test and 2 days of practical.

So far, I'd thoroughly recommend the course.

Wow, what a waste of money.

You can get FAA commercial approval virtually free of charge in the USA.

No special training needed, the information can be found online.

Those are the USA rules now, but drone laws are in their infancy. That will almost certainly change as they tighten up the regulations.

Also you have to consider that UK airspace is extremely busy and much smaller than the USA. There's almost always something else flying in your area here, so the airlaw education in the CAA course is very important.

It's £1000 (ish) that allows you to go and get work that will pay significantly more in return for having passed through that official process. Unfortunately now I want an Inspire 2 :(

I'm currently on the Coptrz course in the UK. It's £995 + VAT, run at multiple locations. Some locations cost a bit more.
They run a 4 day course, 2 days of ground school & theory test and 2 days of practical.

So far, I'd thoroughly recommend the course.

Overall how was your experience of the Coptrz course? I've just signed up to do it and started the ops manual.

It's about R36 - R40 000.00 rand here. about GBP 2200.00. Almost the price of a PPL.

But is it possible to find any available and free schools? Because paying just to get a certificate in the end - a bit strange. I'm ready to spend maybe more time but get the license for free. And Is it possible to use your pilot license to control drones? I mean, is it allowed or not.

And Is it possible to use your pilot license to control drones? I mean, is it allowed or not.

Not in the US, My Part 61 did not allow me to fly 107, but if you hold a Part 61, there is a different 107 test that eliminates duplication/overlap and gives you credit for your PPL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007