DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PC advice needed. Are these going to be ok for 4k editing?

monchan

Reactions
I need a new PC that is ok for 4k editing. I have been using Premiere pro, on my current pc. While I can edit 4k, it`s a nightmare.
I dont have a big budget. And my wife has got the ***** but at least she said ok. (she doesnt know the monitor is not included)

One pc is Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB memory, 2GB HHD, 512GB SSD NVMe, RTX 2080ti. ¥225,980+tax

The second one is I9 9900kf, 16GB DDR4 SDRAM memory, 512GB NVMe SSD / 3TB HDD , GeForce RTX2080 8GB ¥219,980+tax.

These links are in Japanese but you can see the specs. Similar prices, the second one is a games bundle 2 or 3 games. Might use them.

If anyone can give me their 2cents worth that would be great. I have heard some people say keep away from ryzen. But that one has more ram, better graphics. Will it make much difference between these mosels?
Thanks.

I need a new PC that is ok for 4k editing. I have been using Premiere pro, on my current pc. While I can edit 4k, it`s a nightmare.
I dont have a big budget. And my wife has got the ***** but at least she said ok. (she doesnt know the monitor is not included)

One pc is Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB memory, 2GB HHD, 512GB SSD NVMe, RTX 2080ti. ¥225,980+tax

The second one is I9 9900kf, 16GB DDR4 SDRAM memory, 512GB NVMe SSD / 3TB HDD , GeForce RTX2080 8GB ¥219,980+tax.

These links are in Japanese but you can see the specs. Similar prices, the second one is a games bundle 2 or 3 games. Might use them.

If anyone can give me their 2cents worth that would be great. I have heard some people say keep away from ryzen. But that one has more ram, better graphics. Will it make much difference between these mosels?
Thanks.

32 GB of Ram is not even close to what you need to truly edit 4K

If you cannot get 64 GB dont bother , learn to use the PROXY in PREIMERE and that will get you thru with flying colors.

The other alternative is the Final Cut X on a Mac Pro 2013 with 64 GB will do better.

128 GB is what is really needed for clean 4K editing .

So the question is what PC specs are you using now ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Maker of the Lunar Landing Pad
Coal

Thanks for your reply. I am already using proxies and it can get the job done. It is very choppy, playback works doesn`t work.
The pc`s above should they do ok while using proxies?

the specs of t he pc I am using now are,
[email protected]
16GM ram
HDD not sure. But I store most of my stuff on an external drive. Not the files I am working on. They are in the pc.
GeForce 940m graphics.

I was thinking if needed I could add ram when the other half is not looking.
Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. I am already using proxies and it can get the job done. It is very choppy, playback works doesn`t work.
The pc`s above should they do ok while using proxies?

the specs of t he pc I am using now are,
[email protected]
16GM ram
HDD not sure. But I store most of my stuff on an external drive. Not the files I am working on. They are in the pc.
GeForce 940m graphics.

I was thinking if needed I could add ram when the other half is not looking.
Thanks.

So the Proxy brings it down to 1080 to edit and if your computer cannot handle that I would simply max out your computer you have now.

If that is not possible 16 Gigs of Ram does not cut it. Ram is more important than speed.

It`s a HP laptop it is behaving badly recently on its way out. It`s been a dud from the start.
So looking for a new desktop. Those two I linked seem to be the best bang for buck that I can find over here.
Unfortunately I am not in Tokyo where they have the electric shops. Boon docks so I can only do net shopping.
I could not find any Mac`s with 64GB ram. I`ll keep looking though.

Wish i could say that my machine edits 4K like a dream , but it does not :
But it would be nice to live in a dream world. lol

The DJI codecs are a disaster compared to my Canon EOS but hey some people might think the video stopping in the middle every few minutes is cool . UGH

The reason it doesn't edit well is not the RAM, it's that it's a dinosaur... CPU/GPU are both too old to have hardware 4K decoders and any GPU acceleration of filters, color correction etc.

We have one of those at work, completely maxed out mac pro with the 12-core CPU, dual graphics cards and 64GB RAM but it's still a dog and barely gets used anymore... My SFF PC I built at the end of 2017 with a "lowly" 4-core 7700K and a GTX 1070 and cost about 1/10th of the price runs circles around it for just about anything. On GPU-intensive stuff like stitching 360° video my PC does more than 4 times better...

In this case it's just that later gen hardware has facilities to improve handling on such things that the old stuff doesn't. RAM won't help you decoding video.

The first machine OP posted will do just fine.

Last edited:
Not sure how powerful it would be now (published in 2016) but:
But I would actually find a computer with the new Ryzen 3xxx series CPU and appropriate hardware to support.

Thanks.
It's all about the video card and hard drive. Make sure you do your editing off a fast Solid State drive where your working files are cached so that when you scrub through footage it will be smoother. Also a high end video card is a must. My system has a 500GB SSD for editing and then a 4TB hybrid drive for storage after editing is complete. I have an NVIDIA card with lots of RAM on it so editing is much easier all the way around.

Reactions: SkyFox311
My post was related to Windows based OS so Apple is a little different. All aspects of the hardware is important of course and there are several possible bottlenecks but I've found the most significant speed gain will be improved by using SSDs and a good GPU. Of course your software has to be capable of taking advantage of the GPU and setup right for optimal performance.

32 GB of Ram is not even close to what you need to truly edit 4K

If you cannot get 64 GB dont bother , learn to use the PROXY in PREIMERE and that will get you thru with flying colors.

The other alternative is the Final Cut X on a Mac Pro 2013 with 64 GB will do better.

128 GB is what is really needed for clean 4K editing .

So the question is what PC specs are you using now ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Maker of the Lunar Landing Pad
Coal

I realize you may be referring to a PC setup (since that’s what the OP was looking at) but my new MBP i9 with 16GB ram edits 4K (not just from my MA but also from Sony RX100 at 100M bitrate) in Premiere Pro with no choppiness and without proxies. I believe it is the 9900K. Of course every configuration is different, but I don’t think it’s fair to say 16 won’t cut it. I did get the i7 and returned it since it was a bit choppy. And of course we’re talking offline editing.

Thanks all for your replies. Confusing isn`t it.
That first option the wife has put the brakes on. After reading the Japanese she said it is a refurbished model.
Going to speak to the company tomorrow and find out how long the person had it for.

Performance wise rtx2080 8GB VS rtx 2080ti 11GB Seems big to me. Thoughts on the second option?

Here is another that looks ok to me.
Ryzen 7 3700X, GeForce RTX2080 8GB , 16GB DDR4 SDRAM , 1TB Gen4 NVMe SSD / 2TB HDD

The editing software you use also makes a difference. I use Vegas which is still one of the most efficient NLEs.

I still edit all video on my 12-year-old Intel i7 PC with 16 GB of RAM and a lousy Nvidia GeForce video card. I can edit 4K and it plays fine on the timeline, although it quickly bogs down as I add fX or do any compositing. If I were going to use 4K for any project which required a lot more than simply "cuts-only," I'd use proxies.

Proxies have always been a fact of life for any PC for complex projects, even with 1920x1080 HD "60p" video.

Memory is not really the key issue. 32 GB will be way more than you need. As I said, my 16 GB is just fine.

I use Windows 7.

The main thing is to get a video card with GPU assist, and get one that is recommended by your NLE company (Apple in your case). Then, once you have the proper video card, find out which specific driver version is recommended. Video card manufacturers are notorious for releasing buggy, lousy drivers, and only a few of the releases work really well. Sometimes you get better results with somewhat older drivers.

One dirty little secret is that computers long ago ceased getting faster, after decades of clock speed increases. This is because they've reached the limit of what can be done with copper interconnections (basic laws of physics). So, even with water cooling, you are not going to get much faster than 4 GHz, and with normal cooling, you'll not find processors with clock speeds much faster than 3 GHz. This has been true for almost fifteen years.

Faster speeds are only achieved via parallelism, so the number of cores is the key spec. For editing, I'd get a PC that has eight cores (I don't know if you can get more, but if you can, get it).

Because they haven't gotten much faster, I'm still happy with my ancient PC on which I've edited many thousands of hours of video.

Reactions: SkyFox311

Thanks.
My budget was very limited so I decided to build my rig .
I am editing 4k @ 30 fps without any issues what so ever .
Here are my rig specs .

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming x370 K-7 Motherboard @ 104 Mhz Base Clock
16Gb GSkill Flarex RAM @ 3536mhz
Ryzen 2700x @ 4.29 GHz All Core Over clock/ 1.324 Volts @ 51 Degrees celsius under 100% Stress Test( AIDA 64 )
CPU cooler is a Corsair H100i All In One With 4 fans in a push pull config .
Two push fans are HighPressure Vardar E4 200 RPM Fans .
Very quiet . Only rushing air can be heard under an editing load .
The two pull fans are High Air Flow Fractal Design Venturi HF 12s .
These fans are as quiet as the push fans. Only rushing air can heard under an editing load .
My graphics card is a Gigabyte Aorus 1060 6GB Overclocked to 2151Mhz GPU, 4498Mhz GPU Memory Under load .
Operating System Drive is a 250Gb NVME M.2 Samsung 960 EVO Running Windows 10 Pro
Editing Source Drive is a Samsung 1TB Sata SSD
Editing Scratch Drive is a Samsung 1TB Sta SSD
Raw video storage is on a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM Mechanical Drive .
Power Supply is a Corasir HX750i .
PC Case is a Cooler Master H500 Mesh front panel( Great Air Flow ) .

I edit with Davinci Resolve Studio 15.2 .
With this set up I can scrub through the timeline manually without any issues .
Playback in real time is no problem at all . Never a dropped frame .
Timeline rendering is very quick with the workload being spread evenly across the processor and graphics card .
Also this software allows me to choose how I desire my project to be exported .
In the export page you can choose traditional export hardware (CPU) or you can choose the Nvidia graphics card .
This choice allows you to spread the video export workload evenly across the processor and graphics card .
This setting alone causes the processor to use around 30% of it's power . This keeps the cpu nice and cool .
The graphics card in my setup is small but it handles 4k export with a lot of effects at only 45 degrees celsius while exporting .
I have tested it with over 20 nodes of Noise Reduction on one 5 minute 4k video export with 10 clips .
The video exported in 1 minute 15 seconds .
CPU at 40-42 Degrees Celsius. Graphics Card at 45 Degrees Celsius

Do keep in mind that you will need a 10 series Nvidia graphics card to use this option in Resolve 15.2 .

During my research I found that there is no one piece of hardware or software that will work .
It really is a combination of hardware and software .
I am sure that many other members have found a combination that works great for them .
This is just what my budget could produce at the time .
I hope that this reply has not come across as brag or a boast .
I just wanted to give a thorough answer .

I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown