DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Permission? Or forgiveness?

There were no signs posted there. I checked specifically for that.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" is more of an eastern thing. If there's nothing posted, you'll get a warning if you accidentally violate some ordinance.

Repeat offenders would get a lot less slack, of course.

TCS
That may be true - unlikely to get a big fine for a first offense. I live in Colorado and when I first started flying a few years ago, right after getting my Part 107 certificate, I flew in a city-owned outdoor recreation area after checking my apps and online for any regulations and not seeing anything prohibitive.

A city LEO was in the parking lot after I had flown and packed up everything and asked me what I was doing. I gleefully told him what I was doing and he said no drones were allowed in that area and said not to fly there again. Fortunately, I knew him personally, and he was very pleasant about it all.

The park still hasn’t installed any no drone zone signs, but they have since posted the regulation on their website.

Not everyone west of the Mississippi has the mindset of “we don't assume that you need to get permission to do things.”

That may be true - unlikely to get a big fine for a first offense. I live in Colorado and when I first started flying a few years ago, right after getting my Part 107 certificate, I flew in a city-owned outdoor recreation area after checking my apps and online for any regulations and not seeing anything prohibitive.

A city LEO was in the parking lot after I had flown and packed up everything and asked me what I was doing. I gleefully told him what I was doing and he said no drones were allowed in that area and said not to fly there again. Fortunately, I knew him personally, and he was very pleasant about it all.

The park still hasn’t installed any no drone zone signs, but they have since posted the regulation on their website.

Not everyone west of the Mississippi has the mindset of “we don't assume that you need to get permission to do things.”
Well, Colorado is Special.

It's an honorary eastern state!

:)

TCS

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
It's just not like that here.

No FAA restricted area, no warnings in DJI Fly, no signs at the park prohibiting drones, flying in a legal, safe, and benign manner...there's no way that I would get a big fine for flying there under those conditions.

If a LEO did approach me about it, it's virtually certain that he would do so in a respectful and civilized manner, and if he told me to stop, I would, and that would be the end of it. Unless he just wanted a demo, in which case I'd give him one!

Out here in the inter-mountain west, we don't assume that you need to get permission to do things. In a public place, the burden of responsibility is on the government to tell you you can't do something.

It's a different way of thinking than east of the Mississippi. It's part of the reason that I live here.

TCS

I'd bet a bunch of money that the official response to you getting paid to teach a bunch of newbies how to fly their drones in a public space without formal prior approval would be a lot different than you are trying to portray here if somebody got hurt or caused significant damage. You don't seem to have considered that possibility.

But at this point I don't understand why you don't just go do what you've been intending to do all along. You already got enough of the answers you wanted.

Fuji Park isn't in a city. It's in an unincorporated area of the county.

Isn't every bit of the US part of some controlling 'city of' ?
Australia certainly is and those parks within are looked after / maintained by that authority.

We might have different vision of a park you intended to operate.
I'm had pictured an urban park with maintained gardens, path, other infrastructure for people to enjoy, all maintained by someone responsible.

If not under someones care, then it probably is some sort of crown land (federal) and you are probably ok to go.

Good luck with the trials in there, and hopefully you can make it work or find another place.

I had pictured an urban park with maintained gardens, path, other infrastructure for people to enjoy, all maintained by someone responsible.

That's exactly what it is, and it has a procedure for granting permits for group events. Check the link I posted above.

I'd bet a bunch of money that the official response to you getting paid to teach a bunch of newbies how to fly their drones in a public space without formal prior approval would be a lot different than you are trying to portray here if somebody got hurt or caused significant damage. You don't seem to have considered that possibility.

But at this point I don't understand why you don't just go do what you've been intending to do all along. You already got enough of the answers you wanted.
Setting aside for a moment the fact that you have no clue what I've intended to "do all along", you've got the timeline scrambled.

First, I have to find a place that's suitable for training. Fuji Park would work, but I'd prefer something bigger. I scoped out another one yesterday, and I'll have more on that in a bit.

Before I go into full training operations, I'll have both an LLC and a business license. I haven't done more than glance at those requirements so far, because understanding that isn't on the critical path.

If something Bad were to happen, then that would be...Bad. My training sessions, at least in public parks, will be seriously sedate, and the chances of injury will be minimal. Still, that's what insurance is for, and that I'm already looking at. I should have that worked by the end of this coming week.

You really do have no clue about what I've been intending to "do all along". I'll happily tell you, if you're interested in listening, rather than snarking. There's a tendency among some people here to see nefariousness under every bush, when generally none exists. The fact that you don't understand a plan, doesn't make it nefarious.

There's a difference with my new potential spot, that I checked out yesterday: it does have a sign that limits what can be done. Given how weathered it is, that sign is 15 years old if it's a day, and had nothing to do with drones. But it does say that "vehicles" are prohibited in the park, If someone wanted to ding me, that might give them a pretext for doing so.

So I'm going to do a web-search, which will be neither trivial nor exhaustive, around the search phrase "drone regulations in Douglas County Nevada". If that search returns the null set, I'll be good to go.

Here's an exercise for the readers: Why might it be a bad idea to just ask first?

The first person to answer correctly gets a free hour of drone training!

TCS

Isn't every bit of the US part of some controlling 'city of' ?
Australia certainly is and those parks within are looked after / maintained by that authority.

We might have different vision of a park you intended to operate.
I'm had pictured an urban park with maintained gardens, path, other infrastructure for people to enjoy, all maintained by someone responsible.

If not under someones care, then it probably is some sort of crown land (federal) and you are probably ok to go.

Good luck with the trials in there, and hopefully you can make it work or find another place.
Thanks!

In the inter-mountain west, the vast, overwhelming majority of the land is NOT in cities. And outside of cities, the counties rule. Or the Feds, but that can be a hot topic.

Fuji Park has both grassy areas with trees, and an open dirt area. The new one (the name escapes me) has the same, but more so. There are very few buildings near either of them. From a density perspective, there are very few buildings in Douglas County.

I hate cities. I always have. My family has, going back many generations. I've very consciously steered my life so that I can live well in an area of low population density. Mission Accomplished!

Updates as developments warrant!

TCS

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
That's exactly what it is, and it has a procedure for granting permits for group events. Check the link I posted above.
And when it comes to pass that I'm ready to schedule an actual event, I'll do exactly that!

TCS

Setting aside for a moment the fact that you have no clue what I've intended to "do all along", you've got the timeline scrambled.

First, I have to find a place that's suitable for training. Fuji Park would work, but I'd prefer something bigger. I scoped out another one yesterday, and I'll have more on that in a bit.

Before I go into full training operations, I'll have both an LLC and a business license. I haven't done more than glance at those requirements so far, because understanding that isn't on the critical path.

If something Bad were to happen, then that would be...Bad. My training sessions, at least in public parks, will be seriously sedate, and the chances of injury will be minimal. Still, that's what insurance is for, and that I'm already looking at. I should have that worked by the end of this coming week.

You really do have no clue about what I've been intending to "do all along". I'll happily tell you, if you're interested in listening, rather than snarking. There's a tendency among some people here to see nefariousness under every bush, when generally none exists. The fact that you don't understand a plan, doesn't make it nefarious.

There's a difference with my new potential spot, that I checked out yesterday: it does have a sign that limits what can be done. Given how weathered it is, that sign is 15 years old if it's a day, and had nothing to do with drones. But it does say that "vehicles" are prohibited in the park, If someone wanted to ding me, that might give them a pretext for doing so.

So I'm going to do a web-search, which will be neither trivial nor exhaustive, around the search phrase "drone regulations in Douglas County Nevada". If that search returns the null set, I'll be good to go.

Here's an exercise for the readers: Why might it be a bad idea to just ask first?

The first person to answer correctly gets a free hour of drone training!

TCS

I don't care what you say ... the fact that your first post talked about just asking for forgiveness instead of properly getting permission first, and then stated that you figured you might "just do it", says exactly what you had in mind all along. I'm not creating any nefariousness that you didn't put there in the first place, and by the way, your insurance might not cover you in the case of an accident if you didn't follow the rules for where you were operating ... especially given that it would be a commercial enterprise.

You've spent all this time dancing around the issue here on this forum when one phone call to the park would have solved everything for you. Makes no sense to me, but I'm done with it anyway.

I don't care what you say ... the fact that your first post talked about just asking for forgiveness instead of properly getting permission first, and then stated that you figured you might "just do it", says exactly what you had in mind all along. I'm not creating any nefariousness that you didn't put there in the first place, and by the way, your insurance might not cover you in the case of an accident if you didn't follow the rules for where you were operating ... especially given that it would be a commercial enterprise.

You've spent all this time dancing around the issue here on this forum when one phone call to the park would have solved everything for you. Makes no sense to me, but I'm done with it anyway.
You just completely don't see it. When I'm brainstorming about something, I toss out a lot of ideas, sometimes contradictory ideas. And I alternately "believe" them, as part of the evaluation. And eventually, the process leads to a decision.

If I had already made the decision, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Also, in terms of making me more comprehensible, if you can interpret something I say as me being nefarious, or as me just being a smart-donkey, the donkey will win almost every time.

I designed a religion once, 10 commandments and all. The first commandment is:

"Thou shalt not take thyself, nor anything else, too seriously."

Stop typing and go fly. It will make you feel better!

TCS

For the data-driven among us:

State Drone Laws in Nevada​

These are drone laws that apply to the entire state of Nevada, and were created by the Nevada Legislature.

According to the Nevada Department of Transportation and the Nevada Legislature, Nevada has one state-wide law concerning the use of drones in the state.

AB 239 // 2015

This law prohibits the weaponization of UAS, and the use of UAS within a certain distance of critical facilities and airports without permission. This law also specifies restrictions on the use of UAS by law enforcement and public agencies, and requires the creation of a registry of all UAS operated by public agencies in the state.

All drone pilots operating commercially in the state of Nevada are subject to the FAA’s Part 107 rules. Learn more about the FAA’s certification process to obtain a commercial drone license in this free guide.

=================
Note that, in true Nevada fashion, this restricts the government, more than it does the citizens.

There are some local regulations in the Las Vegas area, but that's hundreds of miles from me. Douglas County looks clean.

My new preffered park (Fuji is really just too small for beginners) is in Gadnerville, a city in Douglas County. Since they did post a sign about park usage restrictions, I'll check there as well. But it looks clean so far.

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS